Zr2 vs. AT4x

Diesel328

Founding Member
Reaction score
Saw this at my local dealer tonight. Thought it was a good photo op.

Attachments

• 20220603_203030.jpg
    20220603_203030.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 1,914
  • 20220603_203021.jpg
    20220603_203021.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 20220603_203015.jpg
    20220603_203015.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 20220603_202923.jpg
    20220603_202923.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 1,280
ZR2 is definitely more aggressive and the better off roader I think. Bigger tires, better front end clearance, etc. AT4x looks like any other AT4 imo. I do wish we didn't get that stupid hood scoop though.

I’m not sure what got lost in translation between the ZR2 and the AT4X.

The AT4X has turned out to be a parts bin vehicle. Denali on the inside and some shocks from the ZR2. Slap a few badges on the outside and good enough.

It’s only identifiable by its badging.

ZR2 is definitely more aggressive and the better off roader I think. Bigger tires, better front end clearance, etc. AT4x looks like any other AT4 imo. I do wish we didn't get that stupid hood scoop though.
Chevy had one of the most bland hood designs in the industry until the refresh. It’s far from perfect. Slightly more “try” could have happened making it a functional heat extractor.

But it is nice to see more then a single hood design across the entire lineup.

Out of all the refreshed models custom, LT, LTZ, ZR2 and High Country. The ZR2 is the only one I think looks better than the previous front. I really don't like the new placement of the bowtie. It just looks out of place. I think because the ZR2 has a flowtie, it works.

Chevy had one of the most bland hood designs in the industry until the refresh. It’s far from perfect. Slightly more “try” could have happened making it a functional heat extractor.

But it is nice to see more then a single hood design across the entire lineup.
Definitely disagree on the other hood looking bland. I love my Trail Boss hood. IMO, the new Trail Boss and ZR2 hood looks cheap with that scoop on it. I like that they tried but they did not do a good job in the design.

The GMC's looks like the designers had a fight and decided to all slap something together out of spite. Can't really tell at a glance one trim to the next.

The ZR2 wins in the looks department.

The AT4 bumper is so big and low. And the rear-end is nothing. The GMC could look so cool but it ends up so bland just for lack of character, except the grill. The only FOMO I get in the Chevy involves the stereo — the AT4X reportedly has the better “Centerpoint” amplifier. True?

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again: I hope the aftermarket comes up with a functional heat extractor for the ZR2 that can be used in place of the black piece of plastic that sits there.

Last edited:
The AT4 bumper is so big and low. And the rear-end is nothing. The GMC could look so cool but it ends up so bland just for lack of character, except the grill. The only FOMO I get in the Chevy involves the stereo — the AT4X reportedly has the better “Centerpoint” amplifier. True?

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again: I hope the aftermarket comes up with a functional heat extractor for the ZR2 that can be used in place of the black piece of plastic that sits there.
The radio/speakers shouldn't be any different from GMC to Chevy in these high end trucks.

The radio/speakers shouldn't be any different from GMC to Chevy in these high end trucks.
Shouldn’t be but I believe only the AT4X and the Denali Ultimate get the Bose Centerpoint amp. Everything else gets Bose but not their top shelf sht. At least that’s what I see on the website detail in the summary.

Shouldn’t be but I believe only the AT4X and the Denali Ultimate get the Bose Centerpoint amp. Everything else gets Bose but not their top shelf sht. At least that’s what I see on the website detail in the summary.
Correct. We get the shaft on the stereo

Ahh you're right. Those 2 get the 12 speaker Bose system. Chevy gets the 7 speaker.

Ahh you're right. Those 2 get the 12 speaker Bose system. Chevy gets the 7 speaker.
Right.
The AT4X also gets front sensors since it does not have the high approach front bumper.
And it has 16-way power front seats including massage, vs. the ZR2 has 10-way power front seats.
Though I'd rather have much better bolstering & the high approach front bumper.

I think they all have the weak paper cone speakers though. None of the "Bose" in new cars is worth the money.

I think they all have the weak paper cone speakers though. None of the "Bose" in new cars is worth the money.
The longer I own this truck and the more I listen to the stereo system, the more dissatisfied I am with it. No matter how I EQ it or what type or music I listen to, it always sounds very underwhelming. Bose should be embarrassed to have their brand attached to this quality of sound.

Most Member Reactions

Back