6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 105 89.0%

• Total voters
I just updated the Poll. 5400 miles 2022 ZR2. Certified GM Used. 60 miles per hour then just stopped running. Tech says motor is seized and will be replaced. Stranded me on a remote highway until Roadside Assistance sent a tow truck. Now waiting for the Dealer to tell me how long the wait will be. They did provide a courtesy vehicle so far.

Last edited:
I just updated the Poll. 5400 miles 2022 ZR2. Certified GM Used. 60 miles per hour then just stopped running. Tech say motor is seized and will be replaced. Stranded me on a remote highway until Roadside Assistance sent a tow truck. Now waiting for the Dealer to tell me how long the wait will be. TGhey did provide a courtesy vehicle so far.
sux bro. sounds like dealer doin right so far..at least thats a positive.

Sorry to hear that. I’m guessing rod bearings and crank bearings. Same as mine at 14000. Took four months to get it back. Which about half of that I was expecting, dealership was under construction adding on to shop. They were way behind. They done a good job as far as I can tell. Seems like it actually runs better than it did new. Guess only time will tell.

What They're saying is the bearing failure is being caused by a couple things, with some failures the wrong oil was in the engine. and the biggest cause is the two stage oil pump running insufficient pressure when the vales are disabled.

The rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPM, so the pressure seems like it would be enough. core shift is another theory but that wouldn't explain rod bearing failure. since both rods and mains are failing oil or oil pressure do seem like the most logical explanation.

So once again the Range chip and a premium oil like Redline or signature seem like the best prevention the customer can do on his own.

What They're saying is the bearing failure is being caused by a couple things, with some failures the wrong oil was in the engine. and the biggest cause is the two stage oil pump running insufficient pressure when the vales are disabled.

The rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPM, so the pressure seems like it would be enough. core shift is another theory but that wouldn't explain rod bearing failure. since both rods and mains are failing oil or oil pressure do seem like the most logical explanation.

So once again the Range chip and a premium oil like Redline or signature seem like the best prevention the customer can do on his own.
Or just drive in Tow/Haul or L9 and use any good quality DEXOS rated synthetic motor oil. You don't need to spend a ton of money on Amsoil or Redline to get a great oil. Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra and many others are excellent too.

Or just drive in Tow/Haul or L9 and use any good quality DEXOS rated synthetic motor oil. You don't need to spend a ton of money on Amsoil or Redline to get a great oil. Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra and many others are excellent too.
I read somewheres that Extra Virgin Olive oil is also excellent

The TRX forum has a comprehensive breakdown on filters and oil with a bunch of oil samples used for comparisons. Pennzoil is the STR oil for the hellcat engine, like the Mobil 1 oil GM calls Dexos and they're adequate oils. but like most things in life you get what you pay for and Reline and Amsoil Signature are no exception. they're better, no question about it, but worth the price? that's debatable.

I want the range chip, I want all my gears and I don't want to come out of sport mode it sounds too good. since I have extended warranties on both I probably shouldn't care that much. but I'm a car guy so I do, and if I can avoid the breakdown hassle that's worth a lot.

That ain't gonna fix bad parts and bad design. Oil isn’t the problem if you're using anything that within spec. Motors don't get smoked this early without bad parts or design.

Do an oil analysis and you'll know if your parts are failing.

If the oil pressure is too low because the 2 stage pump is dropping then the chip should help. I'm not sure that's the problem but some GM techs say it is and I'm not going to ignore them.

I know at low RPM cruise speed with the valves cut out my oil pressure runs lower than anything I've ever owned in new condition. maybe it's okay? maybe it's the problem.

GM has a long history of successful V8's , this is not a mystery to them. but the valve deactivation is and they haven't mastered it obviously. since both rods and mains are failing that rules out a block problem. incorrect machining could do it, but it's dumb to assume GM is too stupid to pull out a mic and check things out given what this is costing them. . if it's cheap parts ALL GM engines are going to chit the bed because most of the parts are subbed out to the same contractors. at the end of the day it comes back to the valves.

If the oil pressure is too low because the 2 stage pump is dropping then the chip should help. I'm not sure that's the problem but some GM techs say it is and I'm not going to ignore them.

I know at low RPM cruise speed with the valves cut out my oil pressure runs lower than anything I've ever owned in new condition. maybe it's okay? maybe it's the problem.

GM has a long history of successful V8's , this is not a mystery to them. but the valve deactivation is and they haven't mastered it obviously. since both rods and mains are failing that rules out a block problem. incorrect machining could do it, but it's dumb to assume GM is too stupid to pull out a mic and check things out given what this is costing them. . if it's cheap parts ALL GM engines are going to chit the bed because most of the parts are subbed out to the same contractors. at the end of the day it comes back to the valves.
Maybe it's shit left behind in the manufacturing process. Lots of possilities.

I know what came out of mine cause I cut every filter open and inspected, looked at the oil, and sent in some samples. The first change at 1500 miles was something I've never seen in 100s of oil changes.

At least Toyota admitted their fuck up was do to sloppy work and owned it. GM hasn't told us anything cause they don't give a shit as long as another sucka pays up.

The last guy that could operate a mic at GM took his retirement in 2020. The rest of them are smoking dope and drinking 40s on their lunch break.

Last edited:
If that's the case then ALL GM engines are shit. if people are going to single out the 6.2 as the only one with problems then you have to ask why ? the valve deactivation seems like the most likely cause , and the chip may be the remedy. .

Poor lubrication is the first thing to suspect with trashed rods and mains.

Most Member Reactions

Back