6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 103 91.2%

• Total voters
Always helpful when your dad is a mechanic. So it sounds like there's little downside to the occasional sea foam, but different results based on the application method, and injection type on the vehicle.

When Sea Foam is added to the fuel tank, it is mixed with the fuel and then drawn into the engine through the fuel system. As the Sea Foam travels through the engine, it can clean and lubricate various components, including fuel injectors, carburetors, and valves. It can also help to remove carbon deposits and other contaminants from the engine.

When Sea Foam is vacuum fed directly into the intake manifold, it bypasses the fuel system and goes directly into the engine's combustion chamber. This can provide more direct cleaning of the engine's internal components, such as the valves, pistons, and cylinder heads. By cleaning these components more thoroughly, vacuum feeding Sea Foam can potentially provide greater improvements in engine performance and fuel efficiency than adding it to the fuel tank.

Interestingly, the L87 is direct injection and my understanding is that there are some differences in how Sea Foam may affect direct injection engines versus port fuel injection engines. In direct injection engines, fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber under high pressure, which can lead to a greater buildup of carbon deposits on the engine's intake valves. This can result in reduced engine performance, increased fuel consumption, and other issues.

Sea Foam can help to address this problem by cleaning the intake valves and removing carbon buildup, which can help to restore engine performance and fuel efficiency in direct injection engines. However, because direct injection engines are more prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves, it may be necessary to use Sea Foam more frequently or in higher concentrations to achieve the desired results.

What I'm wondering is, how frequently and what concentration - does the product come with general guidelines, or do they have specific instructions by engine/mfg?

I've read that direct intake can potentially damage engine components, if not properly diluted. As it relates to the risks, it sounds like the older the direct injection engine (or higher mileage), the more likely it is for the sea foam to dislodge larger carbon deposits or more debris that can then clog filters or other parts of the fuel system. All damage scenarios are generally seen as low risk though.
Good write-up, but I will say this again...these chemicals will do very little to prevent carbon build-up on a DI valve due to no valve over wash. There are kits you can use that are FAR better than Seafoam like Wynns. I bought the kit and, as you stated above, it gets pulled in through the vacuum line feeding the intake manifold. That is the ONLY way to clean the valve other than walnut blasting. If you do this every 10-15K miles, you will be fine. If you wait 25-30K miles, its just harder to remove the carbon and may require a double treatment.

What does Sea Foam do?
It's a fuel treatment and will keep you fuel system clean and keep it from breaking down if it has ethanol in it. It can also add some lubricity for fuel pumps and injectors. It can also be used in crankcase or directly into cylinders to clean up carbon fouling and engine gunk. I primarily use it as a fuel treatment.

Last edited:
Is the 6.2L not a DI engine??? If it is, then there is no fuel wash over the valves which means it does nothing for the valves which is where the problems occur.
That's only one of the uses. Reread the post and tell me again that your valves have no relationship to the combustion chamber.

That's only one of the uses. Reread the post and tell me again that your valves have no relationship to the combustion chamber.
I have NEVER had issues with a combustion chamber. It is always the valve that sticks. Adding a fuel additive every 3-5K miles certainly will not hurt. But, if you use top-tier fuel, you shouldn't need it as the fuels already have these chemicals and detergents in it ;)

Reactions: AXE
I have NEVER had issues with a combustion chamber. It is always the valve that sticks. Adding a fuel additive every 3-5K miles certainly will not hurt. But, if you use top-tier fuel, you shouldn't need it as the fuels already have these chemicals and detergents in it ;)
Yeah I think modern fuels and oils keep these rigs pretty clean.

I use Seafoam more frequently in my motorcycles, boat, UTVs, quads and equipment that sits around with fuel in it for extended time. I do think that is the biggest benefit to me.

Re-upping since the survey will be overlooked if the topic vanishes, request for sticky. We're at 5% currently, but surely there's more than ~40 members with trucks at this point.

12500 miles just picked it up from the second service. Everything is working fine. Rattling in the rear seat fixed. Recall issue with daylights fixed. leafspring squeaky noises lubricated and coated. hood paint peeling issue not fixed. car runs smoothly with the afe air filter and the corsa sport. cluster didnt get updated which is sad.

6,200 miles, built 5/31/22. No issues. I know of 2 other ZR2s that I've sold that were built within days of mine that also have no issues. One with similar miles, one with only around 1,500 miles so far.

The first ZR2 that I sold just had it's born with engine replaced at 7700 miles. It was not due to lifter failure though. Most of the issues we're seeing with 6.2s now are because of rod bearing or main thrust bearing failure.

There are pretty much 1-3 2019+ 6.2L trucks that need a new engine or an engine rebuild in our service dept. at all times. All due to parts failures.

6,200 miles, built 5/31/22. No issues. I know of 2 other ZR2s that I've sold that were built within days of mine that also have no issues. One with similar miles, one with only around 1,500 miles so far.

The first ZR2 that I sold just had it's born with engine replaced at 7700 miles. It was not due to lifter failure though. Most of the issues we're seeing with 6.2s now are because of rod bearing or main thrust bearing failure.

There are pretty much 1-3 2019+ 6.2L trucks that need a new engine or an engine rebuild in our service dept. at all times. All due to parts failures.
Wow! That sucks, and is a high number of failures. Especially with the six bolt main and the long skirt blocks that the LS / LT engine platforms use. Welcome back. Your posts are valuable.

Mine is a 2023, I think built in January. 204 miles and no failure. 😁🤞

So, the 6.2 isn’t a new motor is it? I may have missed it in this thread, but what is the failure rate? If there are SO many failures, why hasn’t there been some kind of recall?

Mine is a 2023, I think built in January. 204 miles and no failure. 😁🤞

So, the 6.2 isn’t a new motor is it? I may have missed it in this thread, but what is the failure rate? If there are SO many failures, why hasn’t there been some kind of recall?
The 6.2 liter started out life years ago as an LS designated version. What we have is designated as the LT version. I believe the designation was changed wwhe the 5.3 / 6.2 liter engines went to direct injection only from port injection. They look similar on the outside. There is a ton of information available on all these engines on a Google search. The issues started years ago when the cylinder de - activation was installed on all the cars & 1/2 ton trucks. No one really knows the percentage of failures exactly and things get blown up on the internet. Enjoy your truck, it's covered.

The 6.2 liter started out life years ago as an LS designated version. What we have is designated as the LT version. I believe the designation was changed wwhe the 5.3 / 6.2 liter engines went to direct injection only from port injection. They look similar on the outside. There is a ton of information available on all these engines on a Google search. The issues started years ago when the cylinder de - activation was installed on all the cars & 1/2 ton trucks. No one really knows the percentage of failures exactly and things get blown up on the internet. Enjoy your truck, it's covered.
Thanks for the info. Trying to enjoy the truck and hope these issues get resolved for people. I know it sucks when you spend this much money and have problems. I hate it for people. I tend to think it’s limited or more isolated instances, but it sounds like a lot of problems. I can’t believe (actually I can) that GM hasn’t grabbed this bull by the horns and resolved the issue. Well, hoping everyone impacted gets their proper resolution!

Thanks for the info. Trying to enjoy the truck and hope these issues get resolved for people. I know it sucks when you spend this much money and have problems. I hate it for people. I tend to think it’s limited or more isolated instances, but it sounds like a lot of problems. I can’t believe (actually I can) that GM hasn’t grabbed this bull by the horns and resolved the issue. Well, hoping everyone impacted gets their proper resolution!
Their "grab the issue by the horns" is to call in the bean counters and see which option costs less. Then rinse and repeat! Remember good people don't run public companies, Wall Street does!

Their "grab the issue by the horns" is to call in the bean counters and see which option costs less. Then rinse and repeat! Remember good people don't run public companies, Wall Street does!
True. But with todays social media, and bad press, the financial analysis may point to fix the problem. I’m hoping people are getting good resolution. Hate to think these engines have to be replaced in new vehicles, but it happens.

I guess if it was a safety issue, they would be pressed harder to do a recall.

True. But with todays social media, and bad press, the financial analysis may point to fix the problem. I’m hoping people are getting good resolution. Hate to think these engines have to be replaced in new vehicles, but it happens.

I guess if it was a safety issue, they would be pressed harder to do a recall.
GM cares more about ChiNa sales. There's always another buyer right around the corner in the good ole USA.

2022 with 400 miles. All good except the dealer’s detailer messed up my black paint with a bad rag

2022 with 400 miles. All good except the dealer’s detailer messed up my black paint with a bad rag
I never let a dealer touch my paint or wash my vehicles. I always specify NO CAR WASH. I never use automatic car washes either...only a hand wash done by me and only me!

I never let a dealer touch my paint or wash my vehicles. I always specify NO CAR WASH. I never use automatic car washes either...only a hand wash done by me and only me!
Yeah that was a blunder allowing that. Luckily the dealer is sending me a check to get the paint corrected by a detailer of my choice. Then it’s figuring out if PPF on the front is worth the absurd cost

Most Member Reactions

Back