cut out the crushed Y pipe replaced with 3” and WOW What a difference!!!!!

Geoff1966

Reaction score
So today i had the crushed section of the Y pipe cut out and replaced with 3” stainless and the results were it woke up my truck,the acceleration is spot on 100% better,the engine breath’s better and is not working to compensate for the restriction in the former driver’s side exhaust.The Borla sounds much better now!I highly recommend this modification!

So today i had the crushed section of the Y pipe cut out and replaced with 3” stainless and the results were it woke up my truck,the acceleration is spot on 100% better,the engine breath’s better and is not working to compensate for the restriction in the former driver’s side exhaust.The Borla sounds much better now!I highly recommend this modification!
Any pictures to show. Thinking of doing this when I get my truck. Id imagine this was crushed by GM for better clearance?

Any pictures to show. Thinking of doing this when I get my truck. Id imagine this was crushed by GM for better clearance?
yeah i’ll get some.It’s more of a function over appearance thing with me but anything was better than blowing the driver’s side exhaust valves over that crushed pipe that GM says is for clearance.I firmly believe that that crushed section of the Y pipe is what burns out the lifters.
63E775AD-5FCA-4CA4-9C60-08C49704F9C6.jpeg
987A704F-1369-4B96-84B2-4D195341FCC6.jpeg
D9F7BD88-FF7C-48A1-8E70-32922A7AE110.jpeg
and yes that is a helwig swaybar.It was a worthy investment.100 times better stability over the barley acceptable stock GM Silverado swaybar.

Last edited:
The replaced section of the crossover piece does not hang lower than the front axle.Just an fyi.

There is another reason the crossover pipe is flattened, and that is to keep it away from the transmission pan. As close as your 3" pipe is to the pan you will want to keep an eye on your transmission temps. Here is a picture of the factory set up on my truck.
20220908_175546.jpg

There is another reason the crossover pipe is flattened, and that is to keep it away from the transmission pan. As close as your 3" pipe is to the pan you will want to keep an eye on your transmission temps. Here is a picture of the factory set up on my truck.View attachment 774
yeah,I know and that was a concern.The pics don’t show the gap above the new crossover very well.It is a 1” gap.The tp of the new crossover was flattened somewhat before installation.The difference in how the truck runs now and how it ran before are like night and day.NO throttle hesitation at all and very responsive.The engine runs 110. % better and can finally breathe properly.

yeah,I know and that was a concern.The pics don’t show the gap above the new crossover very well.It is a 1” gap.The tp of the new crossover was flattened somewhat before installation.The difference in how the truck runs now and how it ran before are like night and day.NO throttle hesitation at all and very responsive.The engine runs 110. % better and can finally breathe properly.
i am probably going to have a new Y pipe with cats made and installed at some point in the near future I just couldn’t handle the sound of the restrictive pipe and how the engine sounded for a new truck. I did the same to my trail boss for the same reason.GM should have to pay for all the headaches that stupid and blatantly NOT engineered crossover pipe causes.And it is the cause.

There is another reason the crossover pipe is flattened, and that is to keep it away from the transmission pan. As close as your 3" pipe is to the pan you will want to keep an eye on your transmission temps. Here is a picture of the factory set up on my truck.View attachment 774
Well,I just drove it at highway speeds with some pedal to the metal so to speak,for approximately an hour and 1/2.The outside temp was 20 degrees celsius since i am in Canada and the trans temp never exceed 74 celsius with it dropping a degree or two a few times when laying off the gas pedal at cruising speeds.

Most Member Reactions

Back