HD ZR2 tire size

DrSage

Reaction score
Hey All

Picked up the new HD ZR2 in slate gray last week. Love this truck. A beast!! But the 305's look just a little small in the wells. Anyone tried a bigger size? Or know what will fit?

Thanks

I've tested 37s. They will work, but limiting factor is clearance between UCA and tire. With stock offset, the tire is already close. Larger tires make it very close. Need wheels with 0 or -12 offset in my opinion, especially if they are 9+ inch wide rims.

You can see the photos and info here.

I've tested 37s. They will work, but limiting factor is clearance between UCA and tire. With stock offset, the tire is already close. Larger tires make it very close. Need wheels with 0 or -12 offset in my opinion, especially if they are 9+ inch wide rims.

You can see the photos and info here.

Thanks Axe. Very helpful. Guess I'll either stick with what I have or go with 37x12.5. How much of a spacer do you think a guy would need to clear that UCA. Not a fan of spacers, just considering options.

Thanks Axe. Very helpful. Guess I'll either stick with what I have or go with 37x12.5. How much of a spacer do you think a guy would need to clear that UCA. Not a fan of spacers, just considering options.
You could actually run the setup I tested if your not airing down or heavy offroad where you get a lot of deflection. Too close for my liking.

It wouldn't take much of a spacer, so 1/2 inch would be fine. BORA will make any size you want. They are USA made and arguably the best.

I don't want to run spacers because I occasionally tow 10-15k and just don't like them for heavy towing. I don't, think it'll matter as much if towing under 10k.

I'm still looking for rims that I like. Like the Black Rhinos, but have to jump up to 20 inch to get the 8 lug with -12 offset. Would like to stay 18 inch rims.

Last edited:
Nittos 37x11.5s might serve well here. How wide is the ZR2 wheel? I'm assuming 9 to 9.5. I have all the ZR2 suspension parts (sans the hard to find knuckles) and am converting over soon but am going to be using Alaskan edition 18x8s.

Axe, from what I saw didn't you try 13.5s?

Thanks.

Reactions: AXE
Nittos 37x11.5s might serve well here. How wide is the ZR2 wheel? I'm assuming 9 to 9.5. I have all the ZR2 suspension parts (sans the hard to find knuckles) and am converting over soon but am going to be using Alaskan edition 18x8s.

Axe, from what I saw didn't you try 13.5s?

Thanks.
Yes 13.5s, as part of my objective was to get a wider stance. Also want a balance between proportions height to width.

The Bison wheel is stamped 18x8.5 on the inside, I assume the others are the same.

I think the only way to do this is gonna be 0 or negative offset 9-9.5 inch wheels and 13.5 widthb tires.

I will only run Toyos as they have been very good for me the last 20 years. In particular they seem to like towing heavy. Little more expensive, but I like them.

Last edited:
37/12.5/18 nitto fits fine with zero issues around the upper control Arm. At 40 psi almost 1.5 inches of clearance. The toyo mt is still a good tire but is out dated now, on my 2008 3500hd I run a maxxis MT 38 inch that make less noise than the toyo and tow my 15k excavator great. Another good pick is the mickey thompson MT. I moved away from the toyo mt because of the terrible snow performance.

37/12.5/18 nitto fits fine with zero issues around the upper control Arm. At 40 psi almost 1.5 inches of clearance. The toyo mt is still a good tire but is out dated now, on my 2008 3500hd I run a maxxis MT 38 inch that make less noise than the toyo and tow my 15k excavator great. Another good pick is the mickey thompson MT. I moved away from the toyo mt because of the terrible snow performance.
I live in the Sonoran desert, so my rig doent see much snow.

I have Toyo RT Trails on a couple of other rigs. They do pretty well in rain, mud, and snow. I've run them in ND at the farm in variable conditions.

If I was really worried about weather, especially snow, I would run the the Toyo AT3s, as they are 3 peak rated. I might anyway.

Most Member Reactions

Back