Paint chipping ! I’m pissed !!

Trip333

Reaction score
Had this truck for 3 days and already paint is chipping around the hood ! I called GM and all I get is “we will repair it”. Then I asked “How will you avoid it from doing it again” and the response was “we are working on a solution”. So in other words after the dealership paints my brand new truck it will do it again and again. So I guess I’ll play this stupid game of getting them to buy it back as a lemon after they paint it 3 times. I guess two class action lawsuits against GM still hasn’t persuaded them to get their shit together. And they had the nerve to tell me on the phone today that “this paint chipping around the hood is new to us”…..bullshit ! They know about it ! Please, if you have chipping around your hood I urge you to file an official case with GM by calling 1-800-222-1020. Maybe if all the owners of ZR2’s and Trailbosses do this we may get somewhere. NO NEW PAINT! NEW HOOD ONLY!! I’m seriously thinking about trading this pos for a Tundra or Ram and say F GM!!!

Attachments

• 956320F2-003B-488D-AC15-5CE9F3E7CABB.jpeg
    956320F2-003B-488D-AC15-5CE9F3E7CABB.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 377
  • F835C119-2F73-4274-8913-522CEABF855D.jpeg
    F835C119-2F73-4274-8913-522CEABF855D.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the phone number. Just got my 2022 an it has hood chipping as well. I showed my dealer but they just took note of it. No sense in them painting it if the root cause isn’t resolved in the process. The hood insert needed better isolation from touching the paint. Not well thought out. I also have the shudder issue thats been discussed. Mostly around 40mph and cruising.

Been numerous threads on this forum on this topic, you’re part of a no so exclusive group. I had done my research before I committed to the truck and picked it up, knew the risk. It actually had started chipping before I got home, we are all waiting on the official fix. Doesn’t make anyone feel better but it’s the reality of the situation.

Admins, maybe time for a sticky and start cleaning these up and dumping these repeat hood paint chipping posts into a common post?

Been numerous threads on this forum on this topic, you’re part of a no so exclusive group. I had done my research before I committed to the truck and picked it up, knew the risk. It actually had started chipping before I got home, we are all waiting on the official fix. Doesn’t make anyone feel better but it’s the reality of the situation.

Admins, maybe time for a sticky and start cleaning these up and dumping these repeat hood paint chipping posts into a common post?
Agreed. There's no need for everyone to make a new "paint chipping" thread. At this point, there are more trucks with it than without. Everyone knows about it, including GM.

I'm surprised the OP didn't know about this issue prior to buying the truck.

Had this truck for 3 days and already paint is chipping around the hood ! I called GM and all I get is “we will repair it”. Then I asked “How will you avoid it from doing it again” and the response was “we are working on a solution”. So in other words after the dealership paints my brand new truck it will do it again and again. So I guess I’ll play this stupid game of getting them to buy it back as a lemon after they paint it 3 times. I guess two class action lawsuits against GM still hasn’t persuaded them to get their shit together. And they had the nerve to tell me on the phone today that “this paint chipping around the hood is new to us”…..bullshit ! They know about it ! Please, if you have chipping around your hood I urge you to file an official case with GM by calling 1-800-222-1020. Maybe if all the owners of ZR2’s and Trailbosses do this we may get somewhere. NO NEW PAINT! NEW HOOD ONLY!! I’m seriously thinking about trading this pos for a Tundra or Ram and say F GM!!!
So, GM says "we will repair it" but because they don't answer your "how will you avoid it happening again" your feelings get upset and you make a post crying like a 5-year-old girl. They said they will fix it. Perhaps you should have done a little research before purchasing a 70K truck. Yes, it's the same issue with the Trailbosses and Colorados and I would venture to say that 90% of the people on this forum are well aware of it and patiently awaiting a fix because other than this minor cosmetic defect, they are happy with their truck. To call it a lemon because of the hood scoop rubbing is fucking absurd. So, please, trade in your pos ZR2. But, the Tundra is known for wastegate failures on their turbochargers and Ram being reliable is hilarious. I think a nice hybrid SUV would be best for you. That way you could put your feelings in the back and they won't get wet in the rain.

So, GM says "we will repair it" but because they don't answer your "how will you avoid it happening again" your feelings get upset and you make a post crying like a 5-year-old girl. They said they will fix it. Perhaps you should have done a little research before purchasing a 70K truck. Yes, it's the same issue with the Trailbosses and Colorados and I would venture to say that 90% of the people on this forum are well aware of it and patiently awaiting a fix because other than this minor cosmetic defect, they are happy with their truck. To call it a lemon because of the hood scoop rubbing is fucking absurd. So, please, trade in your pos ZR2. But, the Tundra is known for wastegate failures on their turbochargers and Ram being reliable is hilarious. I think a nice hybrid SUV would be best for you. That way you could put your feelings in the back and they won't get wet in the rain.
applause-standing.gif

So, GM says "we will repair it" but because they don't answer your "how will you avoid it happening again" your feelings get upset and you make a post crying like a 5-year-old girl. They said they will fix it. Perhaps you should have done a little research before purchasing a 70K truck. Yes, it's the same issue with the Trailbosses and Colorados and I would venture to say that 90% of the people on this forum are well aware of it and patiently awaiting a fix because other than this minor cosmetic defect, they are happy with their truck. To call it a lemon because of the hood scoop rubbing is fucking absurd. So, please, trade in your pos ZR2. But, the Tundra is known for wastegate failures on their turbochargers and Ram being reliable is hilarious. I think a nice hybrid SUV would be best for you. That way you could put your feelings in the back and they won't get wet in the
Nice little comedy write up there keyboard warrior ! Do you even have a truck that’s under warranty and if so, I’m glad to see that you have faith in a company that has to be sued in a class action lawsuit because they won’t back their product about the bad lifter issue. Instead, they let you guess when it will blow out and leave you stranded. I just stated facts and the obvious that if you pay anything for a new vehicle it should be free from defects and especially if the car maker knows beforehand about the defect, but still puts them on the lot for sale. But I appreciate your little comedy and I’m sure others on here will get a little giggle from it. But anytime you want to check out to see if this is a little girl just name the time or place. Or better yet send your wife and I’ll show her.

Nice little comedy write up there keyboard warrior ! Do you even have a truck that’s under warranty and if so, I’m glad to see that you have faith in a company that has to be sued in a class action lawsuit because they won’t back their product about the bad lifter issue. Instead, they let you guess when it will blow out and leave you stranded. I just stated facts and the obvious that if you pay anything for a new vehicle it should be free from defects and especially if the car maker knows beforehand about the defect, but still puts them on the lot for sale. But I appreciate your little comedy and I’m sure others on here will get a little giggle from it. But anytime you want to check out to see if this is a little girl just name the time or place. Or better yet send your wife and I’ll show her.
Classy. LOL at you calling someone else a Keyboard Warrior after all of that.

You’re obviously a ready, fire, aim kind of guy, no skin off my back. But as I stated, it’s a dead horse being beat up on this forum and while no one likes it, do what you need to feel better.

Reverting to physical threats over the internet, where you face no real consequences of running your mouth…take it elsewhere, it’s not beneficial to anyone involved.

You’re obviously a ready, fire, aim kind of guy, no skin off my back. But as I stated, it’s a dead horse being beat up on this forum and while no one likes it, do what you need to feel better.

Reverting to physical threats over the internet, where you face no real consequences of running your mouth…take it elsewhere, it’s not beneficial to anyone involved.
Wasn’t a threat just proving gender. Feel free to remove me from this site. Didn’t know there were so many sensitive Karen’s on here

Wasn’t a threat just proving gender. Feel free to remove me from this site. Didn’t know there were so many sensitive Karen’s on here
Says the guy making multiple posts complaining about something that there are already many posts about. No one here cares about your whining. The irony of you calling someone a Karen and a keyboard warrior is fucking hilarious since your posts make you look like exactly those two things.

I just stated facts and the obvious that if you pay anything for a new vehicle it should be free from defects and especially if the car maker knows beforehand about the defect, but still puts them on the lot for sale.

Wow, what's that say about you! Knowing all this,, and you still bought one. Seems to me you knew full well what you were getting into, and now you come here to cry like a little B!
To also make threats hiding behind a screen really shows the type of person you are. Grow up and get over the little man syndrome you obviously are dealing with!

Too funny. Creates a thread entitled "I'm pissed!" and goes on to cry like a girl and call his ZR2 a piece of shit and a lemon because of a known cosmetic defect. Then gets mad because he gets called out and tries to flex his little peanuts. It's hilarious how someone will call out someone else for a physical confrontation knowing jack shit about who they're dealing with. Well, trust me, I'm not worried.

It seems like you didn't want a ZR2 to begin with. Most here are men and got it because they wanted Chevy's most offroad capable truck. I would say most did research, maybe test-drove other vehicles, compared the pros and cons, and made their decision. Maybe others had trailbosses and wanted to upgrade. It seems you went looking for a high country and ended up getting the ZR2 because it probably "looked pretty" right princess?

It seems you knew about the possible lifter issue, right? Yet, it's the horrific paint defect on the hood that makes it a "lemon". GM said they would fix it. What are you going to do the first time you take it off road and it gets a scratch? Cry to your "partner" about big bad GM when you get home? But, let's face it, you're not going offroad. You wouldn't be able to get out with your high-heels.

It blows my mind that we have a thread on the forum from a member that traded in his ZR2 for a factory-ordered TRX and he wanted everyone to know how much he regrets it. And we have this titty baby crying that it's a piece of shit because of the hood scoop. Unreal.

And why are you asking if I even have a truck that's under warranty? All new ZR2s are under warranty. That's why most of us aren't sweating the hood scoop issue, dipshit.

And as far as wanting to meet up, sure. Just send the invite. You know the address. I'm living in your head rent-free, bitch.

I see it as people who buy an offroad vehicle built to go offroad at the risk of far worse damage and abuse then complain about paint chips. Make me wonder if they actually take their trucks offroad? Sounds like money for body shops and new paint jobs after every time they go offroad.

I don’t plan on taking mine off-road. 🤷‍♂️ but I do like how they look and I enjoy the truck. My 21 TB with a 6.2 had lifter failure but it was fixed under warranty so I’m not sure how they aren’t doing anything about it.

It is definitely beating a dead horse however it doesn't change the fact that the paint quality is absolute shit. I do off road mine. Live in the desert. The paint literally just flys off these things. You would think after all the issues gm has had with paint quality over the years they wouldn't have these issues. It reminds me of a paint job from a ghetto body shop to be honest.

I see it as people who buy an offroad vehicle built to go offroad at the risk of far worse damage and abuse then complain about paint chips. Make me wonder if they actually take their trucks offroad? Sounds like money for body shops and new paint jobs after every time they go offroad.
Depends on the type of off-roading you do. I drove mine to a dry riverbed to try out some of the off-road features a day after I bought the truck. Primary risk there is getting stuck. Although there are some rock hazards if you care to tackle them. To me the biggest hazard is taking these on tight wooded trails where you can get them scratched up either side from tree branches extending into the trail area.
Everything is personal choice… I would not have considered paying the amount of money I did for this vehicle and not take it off road

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back