Tires V Spacers?

Dubai82

Reaction score
Apologies, I'm new to ZR2. Never had a truck.

I see alot of people out there changing wheels & tires, while having issues "rubbing", "trimming" & "lifting". Why cant everyone add spacers only, which will help tires pop out, more or less instead of spending & changing tires / wheels. Is there a side effect of the spacers that makes changing rims & tires much better option?

Again, I'm so sorry if its very obvious. I just want to know why.

Thanks

Spacers can also cause fitment issues. If you push the stock wheel out further from the hub, it actually gets closer to the front bumper and rear wheel well when turning. I think you can go with a 1 to 1.25 inch spacer with less concern, but 1.5 inch you start to get into rubbing territory depending upon each truck.

I've posted a detailed thread on trimming. I did all the sorting, so you don't have too. It'll take you less than an hour and you can run whatever size tire you like under 35 inches.

Last edited:
Spacers can also cause fitment issues. If you push the stock wheel out further from the hub, it actually gets closer to the front bumper and rear wheel well when turning. I think you can go with a 1 to 1.25 inch spacer with less concern, but 1.5 inch you start to get into rubbing territory depending upon each truck.

I've posted a detailed thread on trimming. I did all the sorting, so you don't have too. It'll take you less than an hour and you can run whatever you like under 35 inches.
Hey Axe. Thank you for the detailed answer. A question here. How do you jump from 1.25 inch to 35 inch? Isnt that a big jump?

I had my front on 35 & back on 40. Will that be an issue? H&R german brand. Why? Because anything less than 35, according to the deal wont fit, and trimming has to be done. They showed me, it doesnt fit without trimming, unless its 35 & above.

@Dubai82 i believe he is referring to under 35” tires with a 1.25” spacer. The 30-40mm spacer seems to be the sweet spot for this truck with stock wheels and slightly larger tires. A popular choice is 295/70/18 with mixed rubbing reports.

@Dubai82 i believe he is referring to under 35” tires with a 1.25” spacer. The 30-40mm spacer seems to be the sweet spot for this truck with stock wheels and slightly larger tires. A popular choice is 295/70/18 with mixed rubbing reports.
Thanks chief. I dont want to spend big on tires now to be honest. They are brand new, barely used. I love how the raptor got thicker tires, look more aggressive. I wish the chevy considered the same!

Reactions: AXE
Thanks chief. I dont want to spend big on tires now to be honest. They are brand new, barely used. I love how the raptor got thicker tires, look more aggressive. I wish the chevy considered the same!
Nothing wrong with the stock tires. If you go with some spacers it'll help the look by widening stance. I know there are some posts on the forum with stock tires and wheels and 1"-1.5" spacers. You can see the difference in offset in their pictures.

Nothing wrong with the stock tires. If you go with some spacers it'll help the look by widening stance. I know there are some posts on the forum with stock tires and wheels and 1"-1.5" spacers. You can see the difference in offset in their pictures.
mine is already on 35 front & 40 on the rear. Here we use mm instead of inches. Still, not quite convinced to be honest. But it will do for now. Maybe in the future, ill go for different tires & wheels. Your truck is sick man! Love it.

Last edited:
mine is already on 35 front & 40 on the rear. Here was use mm instead of inches. Still, not quite convinced to be honest. But it will do for. Maybe in the future, ill go for different tires & wheels. Your truck is sick man! Love it.
Thanks! I didn't really do much, but the rims I have are 9 inch wide,-12 offset, and the tires are 295 mm (11.6 inches) so with the shoulder lugs on the tires, it gives the appearance of wider tires and stance to make it more aggressive.

Thanks! I didn't really do much, but the rims I have are 9 inch wide,-12 offset, and the tires are 295 mm (11.6 inches) so with the shoulder lugs on the tires, it gives the appearance of wider tires and stance to make it more aggressive.
again, apologies for my ignorance, what does -12 offset mean? did the truck need any lifting? Or only wheels & tires replacement and thats it? Problem is, over here, its like an experiment, they will tell you everything will fit as long as you pay!

again, apologies for my ignorance, what does -12 offset mean? did the truck need any lifting? Or only wheels & tires replacement and thats it? Problem is, over here, its like an experiment, they will tell you everything will fit as long as you pay!
-12 (mm) offset is like moving the hub face on the wheel closer to the inside edge of wheel. That makes wheel stick out more than 0 offset or + offset, which moves hub face closer to outside edge of wheel.

Most Member Reactions

Back