ZR2 Silverado Bison to offer LZ0 diesel.

Super interesting on GMs part, only offer the 3.0 in the $78k package? Or GM Authority misses the mark?

I’ll go against the grain with this one, 305hp is not enough horsepower for a 5700lb dry (performance) truck.

My mind goes back to a pre-bailout GM 4.5 LMK way back in 2009 with 310/510

Curious how those numbers would look with 12 years of advancement.

Yeah, I agree. My neighbor has one and I wasn't impressed at all with the power. It seemed very comparably to my 2020 Trail boss with the 5 3. Sure the fuel mileage is great, and it would be an awesome powertrain for rock crawling with all that tq down low, but I would take the 6.2 all day long in this particular truck.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. My neighbor has one and I wasn't impressed at all with the power. It seemed very comparably to my 2020 Trail boss with the 5 3. Sure the fuel mileage is great, and it would be an awesome powertrain for rock crawling with all that tq down low, but I would take the 6.2 all day long in this particular truck.
I’d definitely agree. I feel the 6.2/10speed is the best powertrain on the market. The power delivery is dead nuts linear

It’s ashame lowercase GM has left development of its v8’s on keep warm for almost 10 years now.

Super interesting on GMs part, only offer the 3.0 in the $78k package? Or GM Authority misses the mark?
I'd bet on the latter. There is no mention of the of it being offered in the Bison in the order guide. I've seen GMA miss the mark a lot.

With the current price of diesel, I think the 6.2l is the way to go.

It's not much more than premium is here. I sure wish I was getting 30mpg instead of the 17 I'm getting out of my 6.2L currently.

I filled up with diesel yesterday in Dallas and it was $4.79 a gallon - I noticed premium fuel was about $1 less.

It's not much more than premium is here. I sure wish I was getting 30mpg instead of the 17 I'm getting out of my 6.2L currently.
I think 30mpg is a bit much to expect out of a ZR2. 30 is probably only doable with a standard 2wd extended cab.

Real world is probably 15 6.2 25 3.0

Here in Florida, diesel runs a dollar more then 93.

When your factor the cost of fuel alone you save about 800/year. (12k miles) That’s not including DEF or the diesel maintenance costs.

In my opinion, it’s an absolute wash.

Last edited:
I think 30mpg is a bit much to expect out of a ZR2. 30 is probably only doable with a standard 2wd extended cab.

Real world is probably 15 6.2 25 3.0

Here in Florida, diesel runs a dollar more then 93.

When your factor the cost of fuel alone you save about 800/year. (12k miles) That’s not including DEF or the diesel maintenance costs.

In my opinion, it’s an absolute wash.
Absolutely correct! My neighbor and I did the math one day, if diesel is 1 dollar above gas it costs him more. He averages anywhere from 18-25 mpg depending on how he drives. It is possible to see close to 30, but conditions have to be perfect.
When he tows his 6000 lb camper he only gets 10mpg, which to me isn't all that great. That engine is so much more complicated than the 6.2, and could possibly be a nightmare down the road with so much more on it to fail. The 6.2 is a simple tried and true pushrod v8 that is easy to work on, and delivers excellent power and fuel economy for what it is. Once someone cracks the ecu you can mod these to no end. I'll stick with my 6.2 and make all those oil burners envious when I roar by them with the Borla!😁

Most Member Reactions

Back