1st gear squeaking?

gtrain

Reaction score
Had my truck for about 2 months but don't drive a ton due to WFH. <2000 miles and I notice this loud squeaking only when I'm in first gear idling. Dealer added a Borla exhaust but the squeaking drives me nuts. Anyone having a similar issue?

Also, noticed I sometime get a lunging shift to second but assumed that's just due to the low miles. I have no clue.

All in all love the truck but curious if there's something to these 10 speeds.

Post a video of the sound. Try to locate it to a section of the truck so maybe we can point in the right direction.

As far as the shift manners go, when I first drove my truck off the lot, the 1-2 shift delay was absolutely atrocious. It was a solid 1 second plus of torque management pulling all timing and the transmission leisurely falling into second. It would actually cause your body weight to shift forward during the process.

Now with 1,300-1400 miles and 90% of that being grandpa 2k Rpm shifting it seems the transmission has sorted itself out.

The manual dictates that 4,000 miles is required for all the shift map learning to complete. I suggest maintaining a driving style for an entire tank of fuel and changing it slightly on each tank afterward. These trucks need ALOT of data to build the tables across 10 gears.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, the shifting was not the biggest concern. Lots of folks refer to the squeaking as a 'chirp', but not quite clear on what resolves it. The temporary fix I've gathered is switching to the "L" and going to 7. Did this in the driveway and it definitely goes away.

My experience with the dealer isn't the best - just trying to gather as much info before I start working with them.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/251530-2021-silverado-1500-62l-downshift-chirpsqueak/

Video:

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, the shifting was not the biggest concern. Lots of folks refer to the squeaking as a 'chirp', but not quite clear on what resolves it. The temporary fix I've gathered is switching to the "L" and going to 7. Did this in the driveway and it definitely goes away.

My experience with the dealer isn't the best - just trying to gather as much info before I start working with them.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/251530-2021-silverado-1500-62l-downshift-chirpsqueak/

Video:
Could be exhaust flap/valve. Are you able to pinpoint the location - could be engine - lifter issue is common and tends to rear it’s ugly head before 10K miles. This chirp might ID lifter issue before failure.

I’d take it in to the dealership for certain. Not a normal sound.

Could be exhaust flap/valve. Are you able to pinpoint the location - could be engine - lifter issue is common and tends to rear it’s ugly head before 10K miles. This chirp might ID lifter issue before failure.

I’d take it in to the dealership for certain. Not a normal sound.
Thanks!

Yeah I have an appointment set with them. I was thinking the lifter issue wouldn't just go away based on gears and downshifting but I really have no idea.

Hoping they don't have any gripes about the cold air intake I installed myself. The Borla was installed by the dealer. The combination of the two I think made the squeak louder.

Thanks!

Yeah I have an appointment set with them. I was thinking the lifter issue wouldn't just go away based on gears and downshifting but I really have no idea.

Hoping they don't have any gripes about the cold air intake I installed myself. The Borla was installed by the dealer. The combination of the two I think made the squeak louder.
They shouldn’t complain about the CAI.

Not sure if anyone follows Matt Ross on youtube with his ZR2 build but looks like he has the exact same sound on his truck. Seeing the dealer Monday - The GM Executive team is supposed to be reaching out to me on the topic. :unsure:

Anyone else get this resolved? I've been noticing a chirp when starting up and idling, as well as low speeds. Very noticeable with the window open and during the auto-start/stop feature. Sounds like maybe a heat shield vibrating or something. With how quiet these trucks are, it's very noticeable.

Anyone else get this resolved? I've been noticing a chirp when starting up and idling, as well as low speeds. Very noticeable with the window open and during the auto-start/stop feature. Sounds like maybe a heat shield vibrating or something. With how quiet these trucks are, it's very noticeable.
Response I got from the 6.2 Calibration team:

At certain conditions, the spark is retarded which causes noise in the exhaust system as the exhaust gases are not as low a pressure as normal spark conditions. This is done on most starts anytime the truck has sat for an hour or more to get the catalytic converter up to operating temperature as quick as possible to reduce emissions. Spark is also retarded briefly following coast when the engine has gone to full cylinder V0 shutdown mode and is then re-fired. The spark is briefly retarded to prevent the engine from overspeeding on the start and giving a bump feel. You will also notice the noise briefly on autostarts for the same reason. All of these you will only hear windows down. These noises are much more noticeable on the 6.2L than the 5.3L.

Engineer is coming my to dealer next Thursday to help me possible modify the Cat to get rid of it.

Mine has this same noise, dealer said it was because of my AWE exhaust even tho it did it before installation. Is there any way to fix this or just deal with it as it's normal operation.

Response I got from the 6.2 Calibration team:

At certain conditions, the spark is retarded which causes noise in the exhaust system as the exhaust gases are not as low a pressure as normal spark conditions. This is done on most starts anytime the truck has sat for an hour or more to get the catalytic converter up to operating temperature as quick as possible to reduce emissions. Spark is also retarded briefly following coast when the engine has gone to full cylinder V0 shutdown mode and is then re-fired. The spark is briefly retarded to prevent the engine from overspeeding on the start and giving a bump feel. You will also notice the noise briefly on autostarts for the same reason. All of these you will only hear windows down. These noises are much more noticeable on the 6.2L than the 5.3L.

Engineer is coming my to dealer next Thursday to help me possible modify the Cat to get rid of it.
Please let us know. It bounces off other calls and walls and makes it seem like something is loose. How was this not caught by GM before shipping out?

Please let us know. It bounces off other calls and walls and makes it seem like something is loose. How was this not caught by GM before shipping out?
Kinda glad I'm not the only one....hopefully it's not detrimental

Kinda glad I'm not the only one....hopefully it's not detrimental
Modifying the exhaust makes it definitely more noticeable.

Funny story - I thought someone was stealing my truck cause of that squeak noise. It turned out to be a newer suburban in front of my house that just started. It's must be really common on these engines.

Mine is doing this exact same thing. Start up and downshift during turns and stop light. Any known causes or resolution yet?

Most Member Reactions

Back