20 mpg in city on a 6.2L V8. Love it.

sardarjee

Reaction score
Now this is the "in-city" V8 efficiency 😁 and also better than freeway mileage. Perfect weather conditions/factors today.

1000045084.jpg

Last edited:
I got 5.5 mpg the other day driving on trails and washes in the desert....... climbing and drifting it might have come into play.

Attachments

• 20240328_151714.jpg
    20240328_151714.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 25
I am at a fairly rock solid 15.5mpg.
We seem to get better fuel mileage up here in the altitude. Fuel and timing maps are a lot leaner, needing less fuel. When I visit my friend in Iowa and Idaho, I lose a couple MPG.

When I have done some motorcycle trips , and mainly rode high mountain areas, I got crazy good fuel mileage.

I love driving at or near sea level though. The tires spin so easily, and the fun begins!

Going from 11.7 ambient to 14.7 is a big deal on an NA engine, as you know!

Lol, well you might get that over a short trip here and there. If I had to guess though your actual average will be more like this 😅 Over 20k miles my average was 14.6mpg. That's with a Lot of highway driving too. I often would get 17-22. Sure it helped, but lifetime average was still below 15mpg
20230302_134929.jpg

20230915_193341.jpg

We seem to get better fuel mileage up here in the altitude. Fuel and timing maps are a lot leaner, needing less fuel. When I visit my friend in Iowa and Idaho, I lose a couple MPG.

When I have done some motorcycle trips , and mainly rode high mountain areas, I got crazy good fuel mileage.

I love driving at or near sea level though. The tires spin so easily, and the fun begins!

Going from 11.7 ambient to 14.7 is a big deal on an NA engine, as you know!
Good point! I'm in the foothills of the Smokies in East Tennessee. Our base benchmark elevation is somewhere around 850 ft AMSL. I was tickled to death to get 15.8 mpg in town with my ZR2 6.2l. I came from a 2020 Rebel with the 5.7l and was getting 15.6 mpg in town. Bigger engine, slightly better fuel mileage. WIN - WIN!

Duramax ain't much better. I've only got about 1600 miles on it, but I'm lucky to see 12 on that one.
Yeah I'm not complaining. I'm on the HD Facebook group and most over there are averaging 12-15 in the Duramax. I'm at 11.6 after around 4k. 87 octane is almost a buck cheaper than diesel here. No DEF or pricey fuel filters either. So the gasser seems to actually be cheaper to feed, despite the bad MPG. Doing the math, it's about the same cost as my 1500 with a 6.2 running premium, lol. Pretty wild considering the size difference.

Never seen a trip over 15.
I got great milage on my 6.2. 23 highway 14 or 15 around town. Towing 5000# around 8000 miles etc at 47,000 miles my combined was about 16.9 mpg. Meijer is in about 5 or 6 states mid west and I get enough points for 1 or 2 coupons a month for 1 dollar off fuel. It says up to 15 gal but 25 to 30 gal per refuel i always get 1 dollar off total fill up.
Last fill up it cost me 2.95 per gallon diesel after discount. I didnt buy the truck for fuel economics but having a approx 25 percent discount on fuel doesn't help my heavy foot. 🤪. Before
I retired I had the fuel perk and vehicle
Allowance for 20 years. Allowed me to try a lot of 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks that otherwise I might not have been able to try out. 750 miles current avg 6.6 diesel
12mpg. After 500 miles I noticed it jumped up about 4 mpg on highway. Must be part of break in. Best I got on 30 mile run with tailwind 19.6 mpg combined. Highway at 80 lucky to see 15 without the super highway draft.

I got great milage on my 6.2. 23 highway 14 or 15 around town. Towing 5000# around 8000 miles etc at 47,000 miles my combined was about 16.9 mpg. Meijer is in about 5 or 6 states mid west and I get enough points for 1 or 2 coupons a month for 1 dollar off fuel. It says up to 15 gal but 25 to 30 gal per refuel i always get 1 dollar off total fill up.
Last fill up it cost me 2.95 per gallon diesel after discount. I didnt buy the truck for fuel economics but having a approx 25 percent discount on fuel doesn't help my heavy foot. 🤪. Before
I retired I had the fuel perk and vehicle
Allowance for 20 years. Allowed me to try a lot of 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks that otherwise I might not have been able to try out. 750 miles current avg 6.6 diesel
12mpg. After 500 miles I noticed it jumped up about 4 mpg on highway. Must be part of break in. Best I got on 30 mile run with tailwind 19.6 mpg combined. Highway at 80 lucky to see 15 without the super highway draft.
I did one 40 mile trip and got 16. Otherwise I have been short tripping or towing my sxs through the hills.

I'll be happy if it settles in around 16 mpg. That about what I've gotten with my last two lifted 2500s. Could get 18 mpg in the right conditions. Not expecting too much more with a big truck that has no aero and heavy tires/wheels.

I did one 40 mile trip and got 16. Otherwise I have been short tripping or towing my sxs through the hills.

I'll be happy if it settles in around 16 mpg. That about what I've gotten with my last two lifted 2500s. Could get 18 mpg in the right conditions. Not expecting too much more with a big truck that has no aero and heavy tires/wheels.
Yeah short trip, like grocery stores, tax on gas. I get very poor mileage... @ 5-6 mpg.

Most Member Reactions

Back