24 Roof Seams Splitting

AXE

Reaction score
Well that’s one way to keep people from complaining about the sound system cutting out.
LMFAO......I was bringing my 24 HD in for trailer disconnect warning issue. The Sirius cut out 3 times on the way there. On my 22 it was primarily streaming that would fade in and out.

I asked my advisor about it and he said they have only been able to address less than 10% of infotainment issues with updates or new head units. He also said they had one brick while updating it.

I told him not to mess with it now. I'll see if it's a real problem after I log some more time. Hasn't seemed to be as bad as my 22, which isn't as bad as some describe.

LMFAO......I was bringing my 24 HD in for trailer disconnect warning issue. The Sirius cut out 3 times on the way there. On my 22 it was primarily streaming that would fade in and out.

I asked my advisor about it and he said they have only been able to address less than 10% of infotainment issues with updates or new head units. He also said they had one brick while updating it.

I told him not to mess with it now. I'll see if it's a real problem after I log some more time. Hasn't seemed to be as bad as my 22, which isn't as bad as some describe.
We had a guy that could have used that warning yesterday. Ole boy lost his duck boat on the interstate during morning rush hour. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: AXE

FWIW, Mine has been flawless so far lol. My streaming works way better in the 24 than the 22. It doesn't cut out and boots up way faster. Spotify starts playing almost instantly. I also have the ZR2 animation on bothe screens when I get in.

FWIW, Mine has been flawless so far lol. My streaming works way better in the 24 than the 22. It doesn't cut out and boots up way faster. Spotify starts playing almost instantly. I also have the ZR2 animation on bothe screens when I get in.
My 22 has been slowly getting better but it still has the issue. The annoying thing now is that it has to be prompted to switch phones on CarPlay if my wife drives it then I get in our vice versa. It will just not detect the new phone by itself.

I think it was more of an issue with Sirius. I've had it happen in older trucks too. I know one thing, my phone charger works way better. It'll charge right up 10-15 % on a 20 minute drive.

My 22 has been slowly getting better but it still has the issue. The annoying thing now is that it has to be prompted to switch phones on CarPlay if my wife drives it then I get in our vice versa. It will just not detect the new phone by itself.
I've thought my 22 was fixed a couple times as it seemed to be working fine for many days, then it would show up again. The only time mine was bad was when my android phone lost connection many time on a 3 day trip and my navigation would have to be restarted. Seems fine since that for about 6 weeks.....who knows when it'll happen again.

We had a guy that could have used that warning yesterday. Ole boy lost his duck boat on the interstate during morning rush hour. 🤦‍♂️
I did a 1500 mile trip in October and seen two different trailers start to swerve like hell behind HD trucks. Both managed to get them straightened back out and proceeded to speed right back up like it didn't happen. Never even pulled over to inspect them.

I've seen some interesting tow jobs over the years. Had this realtor lady selling my house said she rented jet skis over the weekend and the whole trailer came unhooked and shot off the side of road. I asked about safety chains and she looked at me like "what are those"!

Not sure this will affect many vehicles (possibly 1500 and or 2500), but looks like there are some sketchy welds on some 24s. Have to check with dealer to see if it affects your rig.

holy crap!!!! not shocked.

No weld issues. This is the seam sealer shrinking and cracking. All vehicles eventually get splits from heat and UV exposure.

The fix will be to scrape it all out re apply it and repaint the roofs of affected trucks.
That is not the issue or repair based on the bulletin. It is a full mig weld plus to repair the issue.

That is not the issue or repair based on the bulletin. It is a full mig weld plus to repair the issue.
Interesting. It seems the panel itself is stress cracking. My mistake on reading over that. If my truck were to develop the problem, I still would fix it the way I said. Gutting the truck inside to weld isn’t pretty.

You would have to hard line the paint under the roof molding which isn’t best practice. Otherwise you would have to repaint the cab to have a “edgeless” refinish. Considering the small area you have to work with that’s less then ideal. But it would make it through the warranty period.

Last edited:
Interesting. It seems the panel itself is stress cracking. My mistake on reading over that. If my truck were to develop the problem, I still would fix it the way I said. Gutting the truck inside to weld isn’t pretty.

You would have to hard line the paint under the roof molding which isn’t ideal. Otherwise you would have to repaint the cab to have a “edgeless” refinish. Considering the small area you have to work with that’s less then ideal. But it would make it through the warranty period.
If it was to happen to a truck you owned, I'm sure GM would be more than happy to let you repair it yourself at your cost with no future liability ;)

You would have to hard line the paint under the roof molding which isn’t best practice. Otherwise you would have to repaint the cab to have a “edgeless” refinish. Considering the small area you have to work with that’s less then ideal. But it would make it through the warranty period.
It does seem like a lot of work for a simple fix. However, it appears as though it would create structural concerns, so the lawyers say break out the welder and spray gun.

Things could honestly be worse. My dealer has so many new corvettes in for warranty repair that are waiting on parts that it looks like a club meet behind the shop.

My truck wasn't a concern according to VIN. Mine was built early October. I might pull the seal and check anyway.

Service advisor said there were approximately 3000 VINs affected. He didn't know if it was 1500s or 2500s or what. They come out of different factories and countries, so I assume it was probably same factory and equipment problem.

I asked if he knew when the issue started. He did not but we thought it might be trucks produced more recently since there is a stop sales note. 24 2500s have been selling since late spring.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back