6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 103 90.4%

• Total voters
Yeah that was a blunder allowing that. Luckily the dealer is sending me a check to get the paint corrected by a detailer of my choice. Then it’s figuring out if PPF on the front is worth the absurd cost
I, typically, have Xpel done to all of my vehicles. On my truck, I decided against it. I did a full paint correction and 5-year ceramic coat. In addition, the only part of the truck I was concerned about related to rock chips was the hood, so I installed an AVS stone deflector. Looks and works great. To me, PPF makes no sense on a vehicle like this unless you plan to do a lot of off roading, then doing PPF on the sides of the vehicle may make the most sense.

Last edited:
I, typically, have Xpel done to all of my vehicles. On my truck, I decided against it. I did a full paint correction and 5-year ceramic coat. In addition, the only part of the truck I was concerned about related to rock chips was the hood, so I installed an AVS stone reflector. Looks and works great. To me, PPF makes no sense on a vehicle like this unless you pan to do a lot of off roadingand then, doing PPF on the sides of the vehicle may make the most sense.

Regretted not putting XPEL on my 2020 AT4. Did not make that mistake again.

2022 with 400 miles. All good except the dealer’s detailer messed up my black paint with a bad rag
It's gonna get worse. My 2022 is barely two months old and paint looks horrible. There is a problem with the paint quality or application process on some of these rigs. Paint seems soft and thin.

True. But with todays social media, and bad press, the financial analysis may point to fix the problem. I’m hoping people are getting good resolution. Hate to think these engines have to be replaced in new vehicles, but it happens.

I guess if it was a safety issue, they would be pressed harder to do a recall.
My actual intention of starting this thread/survey was not because I was worried. It was to hopefully show the low fail rate and focus the topic in a single thread vs have it come up on numerous random threads…which it too often does.

Any mechanical invention has weak points and these trucks are no different. I suspected the lifter fail rate was overblown on the interwebs and while this is not scientific (and as one has so eloquently declared meaningless) it does seem even in a small sample it’s a very low number. Won’t help the sucky feeling if it happens, but it’s not worth worrying and stressing over as others have eluded.

My actual intention of starting this thread/survey was not because I was worried. It was to hopefully show the low fail rate and focus the topic in a single thread vs have it come up on numerous random threads…which it too often does.

Any mechanical invention has weak points and these trucks are no different. I suspected the lifter fail rate was overblown on the interwebs and while this is not scientific (and as one has so eloquently declared meaningless) it does seem even in a small sample it’s a very low number. Won’t help the sucky feeling if it happens, but it’s not worth worrying and stressing over as others have eluded.
I'm glad you did, and had the same thoughts about starting a poll here. I'm just surprised there's so few active users/owners.

So far, it would indicated the estimated 4% is accurate. However, reading the threads it seems that there should be a couple more dead votes......like the democrats!

I'm glad you started this thread! I find it interesting and it seems GM has the most issues of lifter/cam failures on the market. I'm hoping it's overblown, as I don't want to experience it. I know a couple people that have. Someone posted that we are around 5% here on the Forum. I'm against all this BS & government intervention in our vehicles with our money spent on them.

I'm glad you started this thread! I find it interesting and it seems GM has the most issues of lifter/cam failures on the market. I'm hoping it's overblown, as I don't want to experience it. I know a couple people that have. Someone posted that we are around 5% here on the Forum. I'm against all this BS & government intervention in our vehicles with our money spent on them.
I've owned previous models that were prone to cam wear and lifter failure, never a problem. I also know a lot of people with 2014-23 Chevrolets and never hear anyone with a motor issue.

I've got a few trim and paint issues, but I give the ZR2 a 9.5 because it's so nice to drive with the motor and suspension........I guess time will tell.

For the benefit of forum members and those internet researchers, if you have experienced the dreaded lifter failure please post details after voting (I.e. model year, vin, production date, mileage at failure, etc)

You can update your vote IF you unfortunately win this lottery after your initial vote.
2017 Escalade ESV
55k miles
Exactly one month out of warranty lost a lifter and bent a push rod
Opened a case with Cadillac and they told me to pound sand pretty much.

2017 Escalade ESV
55k miles
Another reason I dont keep vehicles anymore without a warranty or extended. Just not worth the risk.

Another reason I dont keep vehicles anymore without a warranty or extended. Just not worth the risk.
Damn the timing man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

2017 Escalade ESV
55k miles
That's pretty low miles. GM replaced a water pump on my Duramax out of warranty by date, but under mileage warranty by a few thousand. Dealer also gave me a deal on labor.

Most Member Reactions

Back