6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 99 92.5%

• Total voters
that sucks. you are justified in your frustration. most of us are driving 6.2l time bombs. when they go off, who knows. get a good dealer and keep GM corporate in the loop with any issues. best of luck.
I think GM ruined the finest engine in existence when they moved from the gen 4 LS platform! These Eco - Tech V8's seem to have all the issues . DFM doesn't seem to be an improvement over the prior system at all. Just to gain CAFE points as the end user takes the hit! I'm glad the big three is seeing the light on EV production. The country simply isn't set up for it.

I think GM ruined the finest engine in existence when they moved from the gen 4 LS platform! These Eco - Tech V8's seem to have all the issues . DFM doesn't seem to be an improvement over the prior system at all. Just to gain CAFE points as the end user takes the hit! I'm glad the big three is seeing the light on EV production. The country simply isn't set up for it.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Reactions: AXE
Real question is if it is just ignorance or planned obsolescence? They talk about environmentally friendly and sustainability. While adding tons of complexity, cost and increasing failure rates. Lots of talk about this in the diesel side. All the extra emissions equipment, having to add DEF. Mostly from all those plastic jugs. Just to increase heat and back pressure on the engine all while burning more fuel lol.

It seems like building a reliable long lasting engine would be more echo friendly than saving a small percentage of fuel. Same time that's not what's best for the economy or the manufacturers bank accounts. That was my first thought on EVs. They seem like throw away vehicles. Once the battery goes, the vehicle probably isn't worth the repair cost. Which doesn't seem echo friendly at all. But maybe that's exactly the plan. Like everything I just assume is actually about the money.

Real question is if it is just ignorance or planned obsolescence? They talk about environmentally friendly and sustainability. While adding tons of complexity, cost and increasing failure rates. Lots of talk about this in the diesel side. All the extra emissions equipment, having to add DEF. Mostly from all those plastic jugs. Just to increase heat and back pressure on the engine all while burning more fuel lol.

It seems like building a reliable long lasting engine would be more echo friendly than saving a small percentage of fuel. Same time that's not what's best for the economy or the manufacturers bank accounts. That was my first thought on EVs. They seem like throw away vehicles. Once the battery goes, the vehicle probably isn't worth the repair cost. Which doesn't seem echo friendly at all. But maybe that's exactly the plan. Like everything I just assume is actually about the money.
what gets me is they are repairing/replacing with the same faulty parts.

What is the best kit to remove this dreaded system? I never want to experience this failure again. Mechanical replacement seems to be the best way to go.

What is the best kit to remove this dreaded system? I never want to experience this failure again. Mechanical replacement seems to be the best way to go.
scoggin dickey makes a kit. does not include new ecm tune. not sure if anyone here has done a retrofit.

Get on Scoggin's Dickey Chevrolet website. One of the last performance dealers in the Country & they dislike this stupid shit like we do, they have everything you need to do the job! At least you can create a parts list if you want to shop around. They may not be the cheapest.

scoggin dickey makes a kit. does not include new ecm tune. not sure if anyone here has done a retrofit.
According to what I have read they have done quite a few. They are in Florida, but there are good shops around that will do it if you don't want to.

who here has done a retrofit? did i miss it?
I guess I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean to imply that a Forum member did the conversion.

Most people just let the warranty, or extended warranty repair these engines. I was referring to their customers and from watching their YT channel regarding the problem. The parts are the same, but sometimes it works out OK.

I thought it might help to check them out and compile a parts list. I've seen some costs around 4K. I have not done this, but I have looked at a lot information regarding the issue.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean to imply that a Forum member did the conversion.

Most people just let the warranty, or extended warranty repair these engines. I was referring to their customers and from watching their YT channel regarding the problem. The parts are the same, but sometimes it works out OK.

I thought it might help to check them out and compile a parts list. I've seen some costs around 4K. I have not done this, but I have looked at a lot information regarding the issue.
thanks for clarification. 🤘🤘👍👍

I did a bunch of research on this before I bought my ZR2. I have a friend who's a long time chevy service manager and he assured me it's not a problem worth worrying about, and he assured me I did not want the diesel version. I took his advice.

If you think it's only GM having the problem you're wrong, and the fuel management and higher emissions standards are the reason this is a problem GM didn't just decide it sounded like a great idea.

So what can you do? as soon as range comes out with a chip i's buying one, but that's not a total fix. poor lubrication is another factor, I'm running a better oil with a higher zinc content . something like Redline or Amsoil Signature offer better protection than standard oils. and the most obvious solution is an extended warranty, if it pukes it costs me $50 so BFD. the only reason I'm doing anything to prevent a failure is I don't want the inconvenience.

I did a bunch of research on this before I bought my ZR2. I have a friend who's a long time chevy service manager and he assured me it's not a problem worth worrying about, and he assured me I did not want the diesel version. I took his advice.

If you think it's only GM having the problem you're wrong, and the fuel management and higher emissions standards are the reason this is a problem GM didn't just decide it sounded like a great idea.

So what can you do? as soon as range comes out with a chip i's buying one, but that's not a total fix. poor lubrication is another factor, I'm running a better oil with a higher zinc content . something like Redline or Amsoil Signature offer better protection than standard oils. and the most obvious solution is an extended warranty, if it pukes it costs me $50 so BFD. the only reason I'm doing anything to prevent a failure is I don't want the inconvenience.
i agree. big inconvenience and hassle thats why i got warranty. i love this truck....just gotta fix software gliches. i also do more frequent oil changes.

That's solid logic!

Did he provide any logic behind his assuring you against the lz0 diesel option? I have one, and have zero issues with folks having an opinion against it, was more curious. Opinions are what they are.

I started this thread when I had the 6.2 because I actually felt the lifter “issue” was way overblown on the interwebs. Given, it’s a very small sample size, but this forum poll shows that it’s a vast minority. Having said that, if you are the unlucky minority, it would suck…

I actually traded the 6.2 zr2 in on the diesel…and love it. I wanted the mileage gain and have been very happy thus far. The emissions are covered under the 5 year/100k mile power train warranty so it mitigates the risk there as well.

He said they've had numerous problems with the diesel, but the newest version was better. some of it depends on how you use it, short trips are murder on the exhaust filters, you will have problems with that. as to the other problems we didn't get into that, when I started to say the diesel he cut me off and said no.

I wanted the V8 because I like them and they're not long for this world. and it does a lot of short trips so that was an issue. as far as fuel economy it's averaging 17 so far so I'm fine with that.

I have a lot of experience with diesel pickups and you can pretty much rest assured you're not going to save any money with them long term. my advice would be to dump it before the warranty is up, this engine might be an exception time will tell. but history says the maintenance will offset anything you save on fuel. and if this engine proves to be a dog like most GM diesels you're going to get hosed on resale. I'm in farm and ranch country, we all drive 1 ton diesels, it's 95% Ford and Ram with GM being a distant 3rd. they're just not players in the market.

He said they've had numerous problems with the diesel, but the newest version was better. some of it depends on how you use it, short trips are murder on the exhaust filters, you will have problems with that. as to the other problems we didn't get into that, when I started to say the diesel he cut me off and said no.

I wanted the V8 because I like them and they're not long for this world. and it does a lot of short trips so that was an issue. as far as fuel economy it's averaging 17 so far so I'm fine with that.

I have a lot of experience with diesel pickups and you can pretty much rest assured you're not going to save any money with them long term. my advice would be to dump it before the warranty is up, this engine might be an exception time will tell. but history says the maintenance will offset anything you save on fuel. and if this engine proves to be a dog like most GM diesels you're going to get hosed on resale. I'm in farm and ranch country, we all drive 1 ton diesels, it's 95% Ford and Ram with GM being a distant 3rd. they're just not players in the market.
I’ve currently got 4 diesels, owned quite a few more personally, and driven for business rigs. I’m at least a bit familiar. I also get wanting to have something that’s a last of its breed, the American v8 muscle is a good frickn time!

I’ve driven them all, we run beef cattle, row crop, and put up our own hay. I certainly won’t get into the Ford, Chevy, Dodge (Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke) debate here….they’ve all had their flops.

And I tend to drop any “modern” diesels / trucks pre-warranty as well. It’s just the reality of the emissions, technology, etc

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back