Added a front receiver hitch for a winch for 1500 ZR2

Meatheadgn

Reaction score
I wanted a front winch but did not want to make a custom bumper. I do not need a winch very often...maybe never but wanted the option to have one. I made this receiver hitch
that has rubber lined plates to go over the tow hooks and connects with two hitch pins. I have a 12000 pound winch on a receiver that plugs in when I need it. I will keep this and the winch in the back of the truck when I get firewood or go exploring just in case. I also have the wire and connectors to the back of the vehicle so I can use the winch in the rear also. It was fairly easy to make as I used a Harbor Freight receiver plate with some 1/4" wall square tubing.
zr2 hitch with pins.jpg

Attachments

• zr2 hitch top.jpg
    zr2 hitch top.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I wanted a front winch but did not want to make a custom bumper. I do not need a winch very often...maybe never but wanted the option to have one. I made this receiver hitch
that has rubber lined plates to go over the tow hooks and connects with two hitch pins. I have a 12000 pound winch on a receiver that plugs in when I need it. I will keep this and the winch in the back of the truck when I get firewood or go exploring just in case. I also have the wire and connectors to the back of the vehicle so I can use the winch in the rear also. It was fairly easy to make as I used a Harbor Freight receiver plate with some 1/4" wall square tubing. View attachment 11977
i like it...nice. how does it lock firmly in the tow hooks with just the pins?

i like it...nice. how does it lock firmly in the tow hooks with just the pins?
Thanks. I made it a fairly snug fit with the rubber inserts so I need to push it onto the tow hooks. I have some rubber hose on the back side where it can meet the plastic on the truck by the tow hooks. I figured it will always be in tension so the pins will always
be at the front of the tow hooks. I put some thick rubber pads on the inside of the attachment plates so if it did slide forward it would stop before any damage was done to the truck. I do not anticipate that happening but wanted to be safe just in case.

Thanks. I made it a fairly snug fit with the rubber inserts so I need to push it onto the tow hooks. I have some rubber hose on the back side where it can meet the plastic on the truck by the tow hooks. I figured it will always be in tension so the pins will always
be at the front of the tow hooks. I put some thick rubber pads on the inside of the attachment plates so if it did slide forward it would stop before any damage was done to the truck. I do not anticipate that happening but wanted to be safe just in case.
i think you may be onto something. great job. post pics when you mount winch please.🤘🤘👍👍

that has rubber lined plates to go over the tow hooks and connects with two hitch pins. I have a 12000 pound winch on a receiver that plugs in when I need it. I will keep this and the winch in the back of the truck when I get firewood or go exploring just in case. I also have the wire and connectors to the back of the vehicle so I can use the winch in the rear also. It was fairly easy to make as I used a Harbor Freight receiver plate with some 1/4" wall square tubing. View attachment 11977
Excellent! I did something similar on an early sxs. Only used it a couple times, but it worked well. Could store it out of the way when I was running.

Most Member Reactions

Back