Automatic Emergency Braking Problem

AXE

Reaction score
My Wife was coming home from work today in her 23 Tahoe. She said that the brakes were suddenly applied automatically very abruptly. It brought the rig to nearly a full stop right in the middle of the road in very light afternoon traffic. She was approaching an intersection with lights, but no cars. Said someone was waiting on the corner to cross street with a bicycle. The DIC flashed a message "Automatic Emergency Braking". Nobody close to her front end and the heads up display did not activate.

She said if anyone was following her, they would have likely ran into her, because it was so abrupt and there wouldn't have been any reason to slow in that area, so other drivers wouldn't have expected it.

This janky fucking software/technology has been really annoying to me. But it's a whole different situation when it puts you at risk, especially my wife and daughter. GM should be ashamed of this shit, but I doubt they even care.

Last edited:
Well, I did a little research and found several others with the same issue. It seems to be relatively common across the GM models (no surprises there). Lots of complaints in the Colorado trucks. Also seen complaints from other models including Tesla.

I found a couple of Yukon Denali rigs that described what my wife did with the common denominator being someone waiting at a crosswalk and a bicyclist in the bike lane, neither of which were close nor a threat for a collision.

Seems like most people are just turning it off. But that seems counterintuitive to the purpose of the technology. I turned hers off until I can run it into the dealer for a looksee. Someone on Reddit said there was a software update for this issue on the Colorado subReddit.

Last edited:
I turned that feature off before leaving the dealership. I’ve driven several GM products with that feature and it ALWAYS flakes out at the most unexpected times. It’s another nanny state over reach feature that is WAY not ready for prime time.

I turned that feature off before leaving the dealership. I’ve driven several GM products with that feature and it ALWAYS flakes out at the most unexpected times. It’s another nanny state over reach feature that is WAY not ready for prime time.
Yep. I've had the HUD feature on several vehicles and it seemed to work pretty well. I would occasionally get some false warnings going under bridges or in shadows, but it didn't hijack the system and cause a fucking pile up.

This Advanced Emergency Braking seems like the braking is way too abrupt and appears to not be calibrated correctly as far as the cameras and radar function.

I like the adaptive cruise control feature, but I've also experienced a couple of times where braking was too abrupt (not even close to what my wife experienced). Generally, I feel like it works pretty well, but could use some improvement.

Last edited:
Had it happen to me with a bicycle on the sidewalk as I was making a left turn. The bicycle was an intersection and 2 lanes away. Scared the crap out of me.

Had it happen to me with a bicycle on the sidewalk as I was making a left turn. The bicycle was an intersection and 2 lanes away. Scared the crap out of me.
Crazy! That's what my wife said. It would not stop braking. She said it got a little better after she pulled her foot of the accelerator.

I read in the manual, that if it comes to a complete stop and doesn't release, you can press the park brake button to release it. Then accelerate again.

Crazy! That's what my wife said. It would not stop braking. She said it got a little better after she pulled her foot of the accelerator.

I read in the manual, that if it comes to a complete stop and doesn't release, you can press the park brake button to release it. Then accelerate again.
Sounds like a lot of hokey pokey. Problem is that getting rear ended from a auto brake sounds dangerous. In the city these bikes are running wild too, following no rules of the road. You got electric scooters and people riding mopeds in and out of bike lane. E bikes shimmering through traffic in and out of lanes and going wrong way on one ways. How they going to ever address all this stuff and still let your car move. 🤪

Sounds like a lot of hokey pokey. Problem is that getting rear ended from a auto brake sounds dangerous. In the city these bikes are running wild too, following no rules of the road. You got electric scooters and people riding mopeds in and out of bike lane. E bikes shimmering through traffic in and out of lanes and going wrong way on one ways. How they going to ever address all this stuff and still let your car move. 🤪
Seems like without multiple cameras it'll be hard to eliminate the false alarms. More cameras = more cost = more repairs = more cost

Most Member Reactions

Back