Autostop Eliminator

UpNorthZR2

Reaction score
Anyone looking to turn off that Autostop/start function? I had this on my 2020 TB and it worked great so I bought one and installed it on my ZR2. Couldn‘t find installation instructions, so I had to figure it out myself. Part# is AE039 and it basically involves removal of a few trim panels, and moving the touchscreen to access the switch(plug&play)-about 9 or 10 screws. Definitely worth the $100!

I'd love to add one. That feature drives me nuts. It turns off when I step on the brake after pulling into my garage, and then it starts back up if I hit reverse to check to see if I'm in all of the way.

How did you figure out the disassembly? Looks like the instructions from the AutoStop Eliminator website are from a pre-refresh truck:

Yes-I found a few things here and there on the internet that gave clues to doing it. Pretty much you pop the plastic under the steering wheel, remove a few screws around the screen(2 on top, 2 on the left side)and you can tilt the screen down to access the plug. There are 3 screws below the screen too-not bad to do. Honestly think it’s easier than the 2020 I did. Any questions I can help you out.

Yes-I found a few things here and there on the internet that gave clues to doing it. Pretty much you pop the plastic under the steering wheel, remove a few screws around the screen(2 on top, 2 on the left side)and you can tilt the screen down to access the plug. There are 3 screws below the screen too-not bad to do. Honestly think it’s easier than the 2020 I did. Any questions I can help you out.

I went and looked at the dash area, but just can’t visualize what parts gave you access to install the AutoStop Eliminator. Any chance you can take some pictures and post them to this thread. It would probably help a whole lot of people aside from me.

I snapped a few pics to help you out. First you pop the two panels under the steering column(second panel has 1 screw to remove), then the black bezel around the dash(just pry out with fingers)that reveals 2 more screws to remove that holds the left side of the screen in. Next you pull gently on the carbon fiber looking trim piece that goes under the screen(there are three screws that hold the bottom of the screen to remove). Next pick out the small rubber cover behind the screen on top of the dash cubby(I used a small pick-it just pulls up easily) then remove the 2 outer screws, and the screen will pull out towards you. There are three plugs at the back of the screen, the one on the left is the one you want. Pull up on the red safety lock on the plug, and pull out, then plug in the Autostop Eliminator into the screen and the other end plugs into other end of harness. It went smooth-very surprised the manufacturer didn’t make a video. Any questions let me know.

Attachments

• 11A7C2A0-DFE0-42D8-87B7-726E7BA6F9C0.jpeg
    11A7C2A0-DFE0-42D8-87B7-726E7BA6F9C0.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 031D474A-33D5-4519-BB37-097E01B7A689.jpeg
    031D474A-33D5-4519-BB37-097E01B7A689.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 80098667-86F7-45D4-96DF-16B0F6B1A61E.jpeg
    80098667-86F7-45D4-96DF-16B0F6B1A61E.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 237
  • AE0A0BB8-D392-476F-BFBE-315A097DC2C6.jpeg
    AE0A0BB8-D392-476F-BFBE-315A097DC2C6.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 5D7D552E-B7E0-42FC-B3E5-8947F72BF8D7.jpeg
    5D7D552E-B7E0-42FC-B3E5-8947F72BF8D7.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 230
  • ABFDE4A6-CBE1-468C-BFB9-DA5E3B1CCBD8.jpeg
    ABFDE4A6-CBE1-468C-BFB9-DA5E3B1CCBD8.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 226
  • CA53FCB2-3611-4777-B5CC-A31C32D7AE15.jpeg
    CA53FCB2-3611-4777-B5CC-A31C32D7AE15.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 221
  • A6920E14-A873-4C03-977E-54182DA47C8B.jpeg
    A6920E14-A873-4C03-977E-54182DA47C8B.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 235
  • F4684A01-257B-4B46-9B2F-70A49C6E403F.jpeg
    F4684A01-257B-4B46-9B2F-70A49C6E403F.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 234
I snapped a few pics to help you out. First you pop the two panels under the steering column(second panel has 1 screw to remove), then the black bezel around the dash(just pry out with fingers)that reveals 2 more screws to remove that holds the left side of the screen in. Next you pull gently on the carbon fiber looking trim piece that goes under the screen(there are three screws that hold the bottom of the screen to remove). Next pick out the small rubber cover behind the screen on top of the dash cubby(I used a small pick-it just pulls up easily) then remove the 2 outer screws, and the screen will pull out towards you. There are three plugs at the back of the screen, the one on the left is the one you want. Pull up on the red safety lock on the plug, and pull out, then plug in the Autostop Eliminator into the screen and the other end plugs into other end of harness. It went smooth-very surprised the manufacturer didn’t make a video. Any questions let me know.
Wow, awesome! Thank you, that will make the install way easier.

Thanks for letting us know it works on the ZR2. I was trying to wait for Pulsar Lt to come out with a version for the refresh trucks. But who knows when that will be or if it has all the same functionality. I'm pretty tired of hitting that button every time. Every now and then I'll forget, pull up to a light or 4way stop and it cuts off. Pretty annoying. Not sure why they didn't just give us a push and hold to disable. Or some option in setting to change the default to off.

I don't get this. At first, I thought the same way as you guys, but now that I save about 2-3mpg per drive to work each day just by using it, I just don't get the hate for it.

Not
I don't get this. At first, I thought the same way as you guys, but now that I save about 2-3mpg per drive to work each day just by using it, I just don't get the hate for it.
Not really a “hate”, but I’d rather my AC keep pumping cold air while waiting for a long traffic light. Maybe northern states it’s ok, but in hot, humid Deep South Texas, you really don’t want it.

Not

Not really a “hate”, but I’d rather my AC keep pumping cold air while waiting for a long traffic light. Maybe northern states it’s ok, but in hot, humid Deep South Texas, you really don’t want it.
The Autostop doesn't work with AC on, so there's not a conflict there. I don't get what you mean.

That seems a little hard to believe, you must sit at lights a ton. Regardless though I don't want my truck constantly turning off and on. It is diffently adding wear constantly restarting. At the least it's more work on the battery and starter. At worse your adding more wear to the engine internals.

Besides the wear I just don't like it. It's a large V8 with aftermarket exhaust. It's very noticeable when it cuts off and when it Cranks up. Probably half the people with ZR2s are wanting 35" tires. I really doubt most are trying to eek every MPG they can when driving their trucks.

The Autostop doesn't work with AC on, so there's not a conflict there. I don't get what you mean.
Not to be argumentative, but auto start/stop will operate with the AC on. I copied this from the owners manual:

“Auto Stops may not occur and/or Auto Starts may occur because:
If equipped and enabled, the Stop/Start system will shut off the engine to help conserve fuel. It has components designed for the increased number of starts.
. The climate control settings require the engine to be running to cool or heat the vehicle interior.”

And as 8Ball_99 stated, I don’t want the added wear and tear.

Not to be argumentative, but auto start/stop will operate with the AC on. I copied this from the owners manual:

If equipped and enabled, the Stop/Start system will shut off the engine to help conserve fuel. It has components designed for the increased number of starts.
. The climate control settings require the engine to be running to cool or heat the vehicle interior.”

6000 miles of Summer driving and the only time the auto start/stop does not work is when the AC is on. Fact.

6000 miles of Summer driving and the only time the auto start/stop does not work is when the AC is on. Fact.
Mine didn't start stop at all the first month, but in the last 2 weeks where the AC doesn't need to run very hard it's doing start/stop with AC on. My previous 2 GMs were the same.

It's literally NEVER worked with AC on in my truck. I can turn it off, have autostop activated, turn on AC, and the truck starts.

That seems a little hard to believe, you must sit at lights a ton. Regardless though I don't want my truck constantly turning off and on. It is diffently adding wear constantly restarting. At the least it's more work on the battery and starter. At worse your adding more wear to the engine internals.

Besides the wear I just don't like it. It's a large V8 with aftermarket exhaust. It's very noticeable when it cuts off and when it Cranks up. Probably half the people with ZR2s are wanting 35" tires. I really doubt most are trying to eek every MPG they can when driving their trucks.
My commute is considered city driving. No freeways at all, backroads in Michigan. So yes, I do stop at many lights along my way. It saves a ton of fuel in the Metro Detroit area and suburbs.

It's literally NEVER worked with AC on in my truck. I can turn it off, have autostop activated, turn on AC, and the truck starts.

My commute is considered city driving. No freeways at all, backroads in Michigan. So yes, I do stop at many lights along my way. It saves a ton of fuel in the Metro Detroit area and suburbs.
How long are your red lights? 10-15 minutes?

I filled up today and with me turning auto stop off every time I get in the truck, my truck got 15.7 MPG. That was the tank average after 293 miles. That's also with my truck parked idling a fair amount in parking lots while I'm on the phone, waiting on my kid to get out of band practice, ect. My truck also has a bed rack on it which effects mileage a little.

I'm good with that. I doubt auto stop or cutting my truck off as soon as I park every time would make a huge difference. Even if I did get an extra 15-16 miles on a tank. The inconvenience and wear isn't worth saving 3.90 a tank to me personally. I use to average 15mpg in my Duramax and diesel was 4.78 a gallon today lol

You over-exaggerate the wear.
How long are your red lights? 10-15 minutes?
Just to be clear, you think burning 2 minutes of fuel at every light for nothing is better than not burning two minutes of fuel if you don't have to. With non-hwy driving, that's about 25 minutes for me each way, sometimes more. So almost an hour of idling when I don't need to actually burn that fuel. It's pretty easy numbers for me to enjoy saving just that amount. It's certainly not an unnoticeable amount, considering I gain 2-3 mpg this way. I typically get 17-20 to and from work.

You over-exaggerate the wear.

Just to be clear, you think burning 2 minutes of fuel at every light for nothing is better than not burning two minutes of fuel if you don't have to. With non-hwy driving, that's about 25 minutes for me each way, sometimes more. So almost an hour of idling when I don't need to actually burn that fuel. It's pretty easy numbers for me to enjoy saving just that amount. It's certainly not an unnoticeable amount, considering I gain 2-3 mpg this way. I typically get 17-20 to and from work.
You over exaggerate the gas savings is what I am saying. I don't recall saying it is better to burn fuel sitting, but obviously gas savings is not a high concern of mine, which is evident by my vehicle choice. Maybe you should rethink yours?

You over exaggerate the gas savings is what I am saying. I don't recall saying it is better to burn fuel sitting, but obviously gas savings is not a high concern of mine, which is evident by my vehicle choice. Maybe you should rethink yours?
lol. That's funny. Why on earth would I rethink my choice? I actually use my truck how it was designed, unlike 95% of the people who bought one. I just happen to also like to take advantage of efficiencies where I can.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back