Blown Zr2

Chevytrash

Reaction score
I traded in my Raptor on the 24th of September for a brand new Silverado ZR2. I was driving back to work from lunch on October 4th and my truck completely turned off while I was drive. I pulled over and the truck wouldn’t start, I called the dealership and ended up getting it towed back. Truck had about 1000 miles on it at this point, I got a call back on October 6th telling me my starter was bad. They told me they took a starter from another brand new truck they had on the lot and told me my truck was ready to go. I picked it up around 5:30 on October 6th and on my drive home I notice a knocking noise, I pulled over and contacted the dealership again. The guy who sold me the truck sent me a text message telling me to finish my drive home and if it blew it was covered, was about a mile away from my house when I called. When I got home the truck was knocking bad and squealing. They picked it up the next day and I was told it had no compression. Since then the dealership has pretty much cut off contact with me because I was pretty upset at this point. I have a case opened with GM but this hasn’t been a very smooth transition to Chevrolet. Definitely missing my raptor. I was also told a new engine could possibly take up to 6 months because of back order issues… I really don’t want anything to do with this truck, I have zero confidence in it and on top of that having my engine replaced in a brand new truck is only gonna hurt my resale down the road. Waiting possibly up to 6 months doesn’t sound like a reasonable answer to me

That sucks, but I've got a buddy that had is brand new gen 2 raptor blow an engine 6 weeks after he bought it. It can happen to any of them. Dealer or GM should diffenitly have a better answer then wait 6 months though. Honestly I'd check in to lemon laws in your state. I would think a brand new vehicle going down with a 6 month repair ETA would qualify

That sucks, but I've got a buddy that had is brand new gen 2 raptor blow an engine 6 weeks after he bought it. It can happen to any of them. Dealer or GM should diffenitly have a better answer then wait 6 months though. Honestly I'd check in to lemon laws in your state. I would think a brand new vehicle going down with a 6 month repair ETA would qualify
This dude right here knows what's up.

That said...go easy on the dealership guys. They're in a situation they can't really control. This is something that I became really familiar with when I bought my '21 Trail Boss. The dealership sold my trade illegally (on accident) when GM informed us the truck was in transit to the dealership. Turns out it was sent in error and I ended up in limbo for 90 days with no car (we have more cars at home). The dealership was lucky because due to the demand issues they couldn't get a loaner which I thankfully didn't need. It took about 4 total months from the false transit notice until I picked up the truck. The dealership couldn't give me a single direct answer largely because they also couldn't get one.

Get on the side of the dealership and it'll usually play into your hands, it just takes patience. Leverage this into a Bison, dude - you can do it!

Finally, dude, super lame about your truck. I've noticed the failure rates for all brands has been ass since supply chain issues creeped up. Demand+worker shortage+supple chain disruption+shareholder stock volatility=this nonsense.

This dude right here knows what's up.

That said...go easy on the dealership guys. They're in a situation they can't really control. This is something that I became really familiar with when I bought my '21 Trail Boss. The dealership sold my trade illegally (on accident) when GM informed us the truck was in transit to the dealership. Turns out it was sent in error and I ended up in limbo for 90 days with no car (we have more cars at home). The dealership was lucky because due to the demand issues they couldn't get a loaner which I thankfully didn't need. It took about 4 total months from the false transit notice until I picked up the truck. The dealership couldn't give me a single direct answer largely because they also couldn't get one.

Get on the side of the dealership and it'll usually play into your hands, it just takes patience. Leverage this into a Bison, dude - you can do it!

Finally, dude, super lame about your truck. I've noticed the failure rates for all brands has been ass since supply chain issues creeped up. Demand+worker shortage+supple chain disruption+shareholder stock volatility=this nonsense.

Unfortunately getting on the dealerships good side isn’t going to happen. I was calm and cool when the starter went but once they called me and told me my engine had blown and the sales manager told me my options were waiting for the back ordered parts or trading my truck in at a loss obviously I lost my cool. That’s when I called GM and thankfully they seem to a lot more understanding. GM actually escalated my case because of how my dealership was handling it

Last edited:
Yea i even had problems with my raptor but nothing like this. It’s just extremely disappointing and frustrating, I’ve definitely been checking out lemon laws and it sounds like it would qualify but GM is being really helpful so far. They’re even talking about letting me order a new truck

Yea i even had problems with my raptor but nothing like this. It’s just extremely disappointing and frustrating, I’ve definitely been checking out lemon laws and it sounds like it would qualify but GM is being really helpful so far. They’re even talking about letting me order a new truck
Trust me I get it. I'd be upset too. Unfortunately though non of them 100% safe from taking a dump. Keep us updated what GM does though. How they handle it is the biggest thing. Diffenitly sounds like your dealer dropped the ball. Wait indefinitely or trade it back to us for a loss is a BS response to a 3 week old vehicle blowing an engine.

If I was you, I'd still figure out your lemon law options. I'd give GM a little time before I went that way, but I'd definitely have that all figured out. Just in case. If things were normal it probably wouldn't matter. But right now built vehicles are sitting at the factory for 5 months waiting on parts. Even if GM has best intentions to make it right. I'm not sure they even have the ability to do it quickly?

If you want to have some entertainment, sit back and watch Gen2 owners flip their lids over their own trucks. (We already know RAM quality has their fanbase grumpy). It's all part of owning a vehicle these days.

If you want to have some entertainment, sit back and watch Gen2 owners flip their lids over their own trucks. (We already know RAM quality has their fanbase grumpy). It's all part of owning a vehicle these days.
Breakdowns absolutely happen. But 2 within the first 1000 miles and one of those being a blown engine shouldn’t happen. I definitely wouldn’t chalk that up as something I should take just because I decided to own this vehicle

Last edited:
I clicked on this thinking it was about a supercharged zr2 haha
Was definitely a thought! But I think with everything that’s going on I’m better off getting my money back and buying a Trx

Since you decided on the name Chevytrash for the forum, I think you've already made up your mind.
We will see. I enjoyed the zr2 for the week I was able to drive it but I definitely don’t want anything to do with the truck I bought, they would have to replace it for me to drive another one

Reactions: AXE
Glad to hear it's working out for you, man. It's a swell truck, you'll love it.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back