Boise Duramax ZR2

Mohawk Auto

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm excited to have purchased my 2024 ZR2 about 3 weeks ago and have already put 2,000 miles on it. On my hunt for a truck, the ZR2 never even crossed my mind, I had been looking at the AT4. However, when I stopped by a dealer to see what they had, they happened to have a ZR2 with the LZ0 engine which it hadn't been previously. Shortly after driving it, I knew I wanted one. The ride is so much better than the AT4 and I liked the interior styling a lot more than the AT4 as well. The color wasn't what I was looking for (Dark Ash Metallic) and it didn't have the multi-flex tailgate. I check online and another dealer just got a Slate Gray Metallic in and it was fully loaded (minus max towing). So I raced over there to see find out someone had it out on a test drive! I waited for them to come back, and was patient enough to see if the guy was going to pull the trigger. After a while, he decided he wasn't sure and said he'd be back if I didn't get it. I feel pretty lucky because I did get it and no dealer in the area was going to be getting a build in I wanted for the foreseeable future and I didn't want to wait on one to be built if I could help it. I got a great deal on it also and paid only a little more than what I was okay paying for an AT4.

I'm married with 3 kids, we enjoy outdoor activities and off-roading (although it's gotten tamer in more recent years). I have a 1987 Jeep J-10 pickup, a 2015 Durango Citadel with the Hemi, and I'm currently rebuilding and upgrading the motor on my 2001 Audi S4. I have a few other project cars too, but those are my main vehicles at the moment. I started a youtube channel back in July and it quickly turned into a car review channel.

Last edited:
You're 100% correct, and I wasn't willing to pay the price difference for the AT4X. I didn't realize how much of a difference the DSSV shocks would have made until I drove one. The ZR2 only became a reasonable option with all the discounts I got (around 15% off). I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Welcome to the ZR2Forum! There is no option for a "max tow" on a ZR2, and with the cushy off road suspension and DSSV's it won't haul or tow as much payload as a regular model, if you need one that can do a bit of both the 2500 is really the only way to go, while none of the ZR2 models are as capable as the non ZR2 variants for towing/hauling, the 2500 is better capable than the 1500.

Welcome! Idaho / Boise are great places! I hiked the Sawtooths a few years ago with a couple night stop in Boise.

What are the first mod plans?
So far I've tinted the windows, gotten Amp Research drop steps, and a Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover. I'd like to get a Banks iDash in the near future to keep an eye on things. Down the line I plan on getting VSE fuel system saver, PPE oil pan, and other PPE goodies.

Welcome to the ZR2Forum! There is no option for a "max tow" on a ZR2, and with the cushy off road suspension and DSSV's it won't haul or tow as much payload as a regular model, if you need one that can do a bit of both the 2500 is really the only way to go, while none of the ZR2 models are as capable as the non ZR2 variants for towing/hauling, the 2500 is better capable than the 1500.
This will tow everything I need it to without issue. The most I tow would be around 8k pounds and that would be a flat bed car hauler and a car. I hauled about 5500-6000 pounds over 300 miles weekend before last and was able to average 19.5 mpg and that's including mountain passes.

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to have purchased my 2024 ZR2 about 3 weeks ago and have already put 2,000 miles on it. On my hunt for a truck, the ZR2 never even crossed my mind, I had been looking at the AT4. However, when I stopped by a dealer to see what they had, they happened to have a ZR2 with the LZ0 engine which it hadn't been previously. Shortly after driving it, I knew I wanted one. The ride is so much better than the AT4 and I liked the interior styling a lot more than the AT4 as well. The color wasn't what I was looking for (Dark Ash Metallic) and it didn't have the multi-flex tailgate. I check online and another dealer just got a Slate Gray Metallic in and it was fully loaded (minus max towing). So I raced over there to see find out someone had it out on a test drive! I waited for them to come back, and was patient enough to see if the guy was going to pull the trigger. After a while, he decided he wasn't sure and said he'd be back if I didn't get it. I feel pretty lucky because I did get it and no dealer in the area was going to be getting a build in I wanted for the foreseeable future and I didn't want to wait on one to be built if I could help it. I got a great deal on it also and paid only a little more than what I was okay paying for an AT4.

I'm married with 3 kids, we enjoy outdoor activities and off-roading (although it's gotten tamer in more recent years). I have a 1987 Jeep J-10 pickup, a 2015 Durango Citadel with the Hemi, and I'm currently rebuilding and upgrading the motor on my 2001 Audi S4. I have a few other project cars too, but those are my main vehicles at the moment. I started a youtube channel back in July and it quickly turned into a car review channel.
welcome.....thats a nice stable of rides.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back