Chevy Silverado Plant Pausing Production Due To High Inventory

supersix

Administrator
Founding Member
Reaction score
As reported by The Detroit News, the automaker will idle production for two weeks at its large Fort Wayne Assembly location, starting March 27. This is to help "maintain optimal inventory levels" according to a letter obtained by the news outlet. The Fort Wayne plant builds half-ton versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, two of the most popular vehicles sold in North America.

Read the rest at:

Reactions: AXE
As reported by The Detroit News, the automaker will idle production for two weeks at its large Fort Wayne Assembly location, starting March 27. This is to help "maintain optimal inventory levels" according to a letter obtained by the news outlet. The Fort Wayne plant builds half-ton versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, two of the most popular vehicles sold in North America.

Read the rest at:
I bought my ZR2 a few weeks ago and a Tahoe a few weeks before that and named my price. Inventory was already stacking up at the four dealers I looked at. They still had mark ups on the sticker on both and I laughed in their faces for about a month before they finally took my offers well below MSRP.

Midway Chevrolet is one of the highest volume truck dealers in Southwest. Their lot was so full of trucks there wasn't any room left, except in front of the parts and service doors. I asked them where they planned on putting the 2024s in a few months and they just stared at me with a blank look.

Markets go up, markets go down.....there's about to be a reckoning in the car industry. People can't afford big ticket items with $5 gas, $5 hamburger and $10 eggs.

Last edited:
Markets go up, markets go down.....there's about to be a reckoning in the car industry. People can't afford big ticket items with $5 gas, $5 hamburger and $10 eggs.

I've been hearing the downtown is coming in the car industry from several people lately. Glad you were able to get a deal on it!

I've been hearing the downtown is coming in the car industry from several people lately. Glad you were able to get a deal on it!
Yeah, I hope we don't see a full blown financial crisis, but there is plenty to be worried about. There are some well known YouTube accounts that are knowledgeable and close to the car industry. They aren't painting a very nice picture. Lot's of repos, which impacts credit and floods the market with used cars.

I actually wanted to wait until April or May cause I think there will be great deals. But I've held on to my cars two-years longer than I planned. I was ready to move on when I could get a good deal.

Honestly, I'm ok with them all taking a hit. Last year when I was trying to find a truck. Market adjustments everywhere all over the place. Dealers wanting a grand or more deposits on orders. Some even trying to say non refundable. Lots of them acting like they were doing you a favor to give you their allocation for what ever vehicle. All the while they were all making record profits the past couple years. Manufacturers and dealers both need to get their hands caught in the cookie jar.

Don't get me wrong the dealer I got my ZR2 was great and I got mine a little lower than MSRP. Super easy transaction. But man while I was shopping around for a Raptor, AT4 or ZR2. Man I seen and heard it all. Was pretty Ridiculous.

Yep, I started shopping for my wife's Tahoe in November. They didn't come around to my pricing until December 30. A big difference in 45 days, gotta be even better in coming months.

I started shopping last year around February. Ended up purchasing my ZR2 in August lol. I actually ordered a AT4, then ordered a ZR2, after months of my ZR2 built truck sitting at the factory on MP hold. I just called around and found one in transit. Was told everything from 5k ma to 15k ma. Dealer I ended up getting mine from told me the price and no fees, I told him I wanted it. He took my name and number and that was it. He called me the day the truck rolled in, on his day off no less. Met me at the dealership. With test drive, talking and doing the paperwork I was there maybe 45 mins, lol. Closing was less than 15 mins. Came back the next day to pick it up after they did the prep, steps and cleaned it up.

I have a feeling dealers like that are still doing fine because they didn't burn bridges. I hope the ones that were pulling all the shenanigans get the rug pulled out from under them 😅

I started shopping last year around February. Ended up purchasing my ZR2 in August lol. I actually ordered a AT4, then ordered a ZR2, after months of my ZR2 built truck sitting at the factory on MP hold. I just called around and found one in transit. Was told everything from 5k ma to 15k ma. Dealer I ended up getting mine from told me the price and no fees, I told him I wanted it. He took my name and number and that was it. He called me the day the truck rolled in, on his day off no less. Met me at the dealership. With test drive, talking and doing the paperwork I was there maybe 45 mins, lol. Closing was less than 15 mins. Came back the next day to pick it up after they did the prep, steps and cleaned it up.

I have a feeling dealers like that are still doing fine because they didn't burn briI'vedges. I hope the ones that were pulling all the shenanigans get the rug pulled out from under them 😅
I've been doing business with mine for 27 years. It's been harder to get the prices I want, they eventually get there. However their service has been pretty solid at one of their two dealers.

Saw this article and thought it was interesting as well.

I could be wrong but I would keep in mind that I do think all of us will be in pretty shape despite what happens to the "market" given we all have a somewhat limited availability pickup with the ZR2. Especially with the constraints on the 2023 ZR2 production I can't imagine we'd take terrible hit on resale value even if the market crashed.

Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly not an expert.

Saw this article and thought it was interesting as well.

I could be wrong but I would keep in mind that I do think all of us will be in pretty shape despite what happens to the "market" given we all have a somewhat limited availability pickup with the ZR2. Especially with the constraints on the 2023 ZR2 production I can't imagine we'd take terrible hit on resale value even if the market crashed.

Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly not an expert.
If your gonna keep your ZR2 for 4 or 5 years, you'll be fine. There will be a good market for quality used trucks that are loaded with options. If inflation persists, it will be easier for people to buy a $40k used ZR2 than a $80k new one.

Stopped by my dealer this morning to get my missing key fob.

They had a nice white Z71 MSRP of $59K.......manager's special $51k.......good deals are coming

Most Member Reactions

Back