Dash Cam

tpp1971

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a dash cam you’ve installed/hard wired and liked?

I purchase the plug n play kit from the Chevrolet website. Fairly straightforward install. Removing trim panels was the most difficult part.
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the benefit of plug and play if you still have to deal with installing and running wires? What does the plug and play refer to?

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the benefit of plug and play if you still have to deal with installing and running wires? What does the plug and play refer to?
There is no splicing or tapping with this kit. It plugs directly into the OBDII port while still allowing full functionality of the port.

There is no splicing or tapping with this kit. It plugs directly into the OBDII port while still allowing full functionality of the port.
I like to avoid things that plug into the OBD port. Always best to go straight to the fuse panel and very easy to get to.

Is there a reason you avoid plugging in?
I am a professional installer and have been for 40+ years. The OBD connections are a DIY design for folks that don't want a pro-install. I also don't like anything taking over my OBD port period. If you are OK with an OBD connection, it doesn't hurt, just not ideal IMPO.

I am a professional installer and have been for 40+ years. The OBD connections are a DIY design for folks that don't want a pro-install. I also don't like anything taking over my OBD port period. If you are OK with an OBD connection, it doesn't hurt, just not ideal IMPO.
Makes sense why you would wire your own. I do all my own work on my truck, but tend to draw the line at electrical work as I’m not that familiar with it.

Just to be clear it does not take over the OBD. The kit comes with a female connection and another usable male connection which bolts in place of the factory port. My OBD port is still fully functional.

Makes sense why you would wire your own. I do all my own work on my truck, but tend to draw the line at electrical work as I’m not that familiar with it.

Just to be clear it does not take over the OBD. The kit comes with a female connection and another usable male connection which bolts in place of the factory port. My OBD port is still fully functional.
I understand that some kits take the OBD port and others have a splitter. Personally, I'm not a fan as it's not that much harder to go to the interior fuse panel on the passenger side and use two wire taps to keep the wiring clean. You have to run the OBD cable anyway...why not just go to the fuse panel instead? Whatever you're most comfy with go with. Either way, it will work :)

I used the OBDII that came with the Thinkware u3000. I don’t think I have full functionality of my port still.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back