Dealer allocation question: Largest dealer vs smaller dealerships??

EMB505

Reaction score
Question for anyone in the industry. So in the past I have always thought it was best to place a order with the biggest dealership in your state. My 2022 order wasn't picked up in May. I am using to the best of my knowledge the largest dealership in Texas. Which is a 3 hour one way drive for me from Austin. They are going to place my order for a 2023 when the books open up next month, but even my sales rep doesn't have all the details on the new 2023 ZR2 regarding when I can re build my truck. After reading a post on here about a guy getting his ZR2 and the paint already peeling which most are saying transport issue not factory issue.

Does it make sense for me to stick with this dealership up in Grapevine TX ( Classic Chevrolet) or should I think about either getting my refundable deposit back and starting over with a local dealership in Austin TX either Covert or Capital Chevrolet?

Does GM still give the bigger priority to its largest dealerships when it comes to custom orders? Once I get my new truck I will transfer all warranty issues to one of the more local dealerships. But going back to the post about paint peeling off. Would that be GM or the dealer of purchase issue? also is there anyway how one can find out who is the largest dealership in each state by ranking?

Thanks

Question for anyone in the industry. So in the past I have always thought it was best to place a order with the biggest dealership in your state. My 2022 order wasn't picked up in May. I am using to the best of my knowledge the largest dealership in Texas. Which is a 3 hour one way drive for me from Austin. They are going to place my order for a 2023 when the books open up next month, but even my sales rep doesn't have all the details on the new 2023 ZR2 regarding when I can re build my truck. After reading a post on here about a guy getting his ZR2 and the paint already peeling which most are saying transport issue not factory issue.

Does it make sense for me to stick with this dealership up in Grapevine TX ( Classic Chevrolet) or should I think about either getting my refundable deposit back and starting over with a local dealership in Austin TX either Covert or Capital Chevrolet?

Does GM still give the bigger priority to its largest dealerships when it comes to custom orders? Once I get my new truck I will transfer all warranty issues to one of the more local dealerships. But going back to the post about paint peeling off. Would that be GM or the dealer of purchase issue? also is there anyway how one can find out who is the largest dealership in each state by ranking?

Thanks

Be careful with the large dealerships. In my recent experience they seem more willing to add "Market Adjustments" and addendums to the MSRP. When I contacted smaller or "Family" owned dealerships, they all were less likely to add to MSRP. I managed to find a ZR2 that showed "in transit" to Seguin Chevrolet. Got it at MSRP minus the $500 Military/Veteran discount. The 4.5hr trip from Brownsville to Seguin was well worth is.

Be careful with the large dealerships. In my recent experience they seem more willing to add "Market Adjustments" and addendums to the MSRP. When I contacted smaller or "Family" owned dealerships, they all were less likely to add to MSRP. I managed to find a ZR2 that showed "in transit" to Seguin Chevrolet. Got it at MSRP minus the $500 Military/Veteran discount. The 4.5hr trip from Brownsville to Seguin was well worth is.
Thanks Q, Yeah that's was one of the reasons why I didn't go with one of the local dealerships, Capital Chevrolet floor rep was telling me there would be a dealership markup on custom orders, which wasn't true in the long term. Classic Chevrolet told me from the start no dealer markup on custom orders. I had tried with Chuck Nash in San Marco. I sent them my website build and was ready to put a deposit down. I left multiple voice mails and emails I Never heard back from them. Not until after I placed my deposit and order with Classic. Again I was figuring Chuck Nash smaller dealership that doesn't get the same number of Dealer allocations as the larger ones or sells more 4x2 LT's and doesn't get ZR2 allocations.

My mind says stay with Classic drive 3 hrs and keep your fingers cross that I don't have any factory or transportation flaws when my truck does come in.

ZR2 allocation is based on Trail Boss sales. Generally, bigger dealers sell more of them and will get more but they may have a longer wait list as well.

We are a small dealer and were allocated 6 ZR2s, 2 of which I ordered for stock as we only had 4 people on our sold list. Almost every dealer is getting ZR2 allocations so my advice is to call around and see who has a wait list and who doesn't. Get on more than one wait list and buy from the first dealer to get an allocation.

ZR2 allocation is based on Trail Boss sales. Generally, bigger dealers sell more of them and will get more but they may have a longer wait list as well.

We are a small dealer and were allocated 6 ZR2s, 2 of which I ordered for stock as we only had 4 people on our sold list. Almost every dealer is getting ZR2 allocations so my advice is to call around and see who has a wait list and who doesn't. Get on more than one wait list and buy from the first dealer to get an allocation.
Will a small dealership let me order an additional 2023 model when it becomes available? I will buy whichever one comes first. Total guess but I think if I order a 23 I might have better luck than keeping my 22 order idk.

So if I understand correctly the small dealer I want to order from should be able to get at least 1 ? they haven't tried to order one yet I'd be their first sale.

Will a small dealership let me order an additional 2023 model when it becomes available? I will buy whichever one comes first. Total guess but I think if I order a 23 I might have better luck than keeping my 22 order idk.
You'll have to ask the dealer that question. For us, we take a non-refundable deposit when we receive the allocation. It doesn't cost a dime to get on our waitlist but when the allocation comes for your order, we take a deposit.

I can ask how many trail boss's they've sold but I'm sure it's not a lot. so unless they sell enough they can't get a single ZR2 ?

Of the 3 dealers in my part of the state 1 of them has ordered 1 ZR2. I've asked them about their allocation, and they say all they can do is place an order and sit back and see what happens. if this is the case GM has a really stupid marketing strategy, the " do you feel lucky chump ? " program

I don't need it by any certain date, but I'd like to know if I'm getting it or not if I place an order. if I can't get that assurance maybe it's best to wait for the crash that's coming and the car manufacturers will remember customers really do matter. .

I can ask how many trail boss's they've sold but I'm sure it's not a lot. so unless they sell enough they can't get a single ZR2 ?

Of the 3 dealers in my part of the state 1 of them has ordered 1 ZR2. I've asked them about their allocation, and they say all they can do is place an order and sit back and see what happens. if this is the case GM has a really stupid marketing strategy, the " do you feel lucky chump ? " program

I don't need it by any certain date, but I'd like to know if I'm getting it or not if I place an order. if I can't get that assurance maybe it's best to wait for the crash that's coming and the car manufacturers will remember customers really do matter.

It's only this way because of parts shortages and supply issues though. It was never a problem to order anything prior to all of this covid mess. They used to have "unallocated sold order processing" which was something in place that if a dealer had a sold order, even if they didn't have an allocation, GM would build the order.

That stopped when GM couldn't produce the numbers they did before covid.

it sucks but like I've said, your best bet is to get on more than one dealer's list and just go with the one that gets an allocation first. That or keep shopping websites to find one out of state from another dealer that has one coming in or in stock.

I tried but they said they can't really do that. the only way to know if they can get it is to order it and see what happens. I have to assume they know what they're talking about because they really don't care if I buy one or not.

I guess when the books open I'll place an order with my nearest dealer and see if I get one or not. I don't need it I just want it.

Anyone know exactly when 2023's will be available to order? I'm tired of bothering my dealer about it.

If you don’t have a personal relationship with someone at your dealer, go in and meet someone. Let them know you are not just another nut on the phone. Otherwise you are 😂. I work sales in a different industry

Thanks
I live in Oregon and our local dealer is adding a $5k dealer adjusted markup. Found a dealer in Idaho 530 miles away that sells at MSRP and no additional Dealer add-ons. There is only 1 person who was on their list for a 2022 ZR2 but since they moved to 2023 they are waiting for allocations. I’m number 2 in line and hoping they get at least 2 allocations. Will be my first truck since I owned a 1989 Chevy S10 back in the 2000s.

Most Member Reactions

Back