Electric Parking Brake

securityguy

Reaction score
I checked the manual and can't find anything, so thought I'd post to see if there is anyone that can provide insight. I am noticing at times that, when I put her in PARK, the PARKING BRAKE light will illuminate on the dash and the parking brake is automatically set. It doesn't do it all of the time and I am wondering if the truck sees it's on a hill, or incline, that it does it automatically? In addition, sometimes when it is set automatically, if I put it in DRIVE, the parking brake will automatically turn off. But, then again, sometimes I have to manually press the parking brake button to turn it off. My 2021 RAM had a setting in the vehicle setting whereby you could decide to engage the parking brake automatically when put in PARK and release when put into DRIVE. I see no such setting in the ZR2 unless I have missed it.

Is anyone experiencing something similar or have thoughts as to why this is happening in an inconsistent manner? Thanks everyone!

It depends on if you are on a hill or not. When I stop at the end of my driveway to check my mail. It will automatically kick on. When I pull into my garage it doesn't. Not sure the exact angle it takes. But it doesn't have to be that much.

As for the sometimes it going off automatically some times you have to to it manually. I'm not 100% sure on that. I have noticed that on mine also. If you start driving it will automatically disengage though. But yes sometimes the second you put it in gear it goes off. Sometimes it doesn't and prompts you to disengage. I think it might have to do with if you push the brake down far enough. But I haven't really tested it. But I have noticed when you engage and disengage the E brake with the button, It is picky about you pushing pretty firm on the brake pedal. So I'm thinking that's why sometimes a gear shift doesn't do it automatically. Maybe it happens when you aren't on the brake pedal hard enough when you shift into gear.

Last edited:
If depends on if you are on a hill or not. When I stop at the end of my driveway to check my mail. It will automatically kick on. When I pull into my garage it doesn't. Not sure the exact angle it takes. But it doesn't have to be that much.

As for the sometimes it going off automatically some times you have to to it manually. I'm not 100% sure on that. I have noticed that on mine also. If you start driving it will automatically disengage though. But yes sometimes the second you put it in gear it goes off. Sometimes it doesn't and prompts you to disengage. I think it might have to do with if you push the brake down far enough. But I haven't really tested it. But I have noticed when you engage and disengage the E brake with the button, It is picky about you pushing pretty firm on the brake pedal. So I'm thinking that's why sometimes a gear shift doesn't do it automatically. Maybe it happens when you aren't on the brake pedal hard enough when you shift into gear.
I was thinking along the same lines as what you described...thanks for confirming my friend! I have noticed the "brake pedal push" issue as well and need to experiment a bit more with that. My driveway is on a 2 degree grade and I've noticed that "sometimes" the e-brake will auto engage and sometimes not...I may be right on that threshold of 2-3 degrees which creates the inconsistency. I'll try it on a steeper hill and see if becomes consistent and then I may have my answer.

Mine is very inconsistent as well. It will set on an incline but will not auto release most times. I have tried with firm brake pressure and no change. Just seems glitchy IMO

Mine is very inconsistent as well. It will set on an incline but will not auto release most times. I have tried with firm brake pressure and no change. Just seems glitchy IMO
Thanks...happy to hear it's not just me.

I've noticed that if I have my foot on the brakes when I turn the truck off it doesnt auto apply the parking brake.

It will do it if it senses an incline. Mine does it automatically every time I park in my driveway(inclined) but not at work(flat).

It will do it if it senses an incline. Mine does it automatically every time I park in my driveway(inclined) but not at work(flat).
My driveway is on an incline, but it doesn't do it consistently. It never does it on flat ground.

Most Member Reactions

Back