Emissions Problems <1400 Miles

AXE

Reaction score
Looks like I drew the short straw on this expensive rig too. Went out to finish up my lights and got this message at start up. Wouldn't start using g key fob, so I immediately knew there was a CEL issue.

Maybe it was something I did when running wires and installing lights. Maybe that's a coincidence, but when I last drove it Sunday it was fine.

Don't have my code reader, so can't check the codes just yet.

Attachments

• 20240305_131843.jpg
    20240305_131843.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240305_131847.jpg
    20240305_131847.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Interesting that no new codes came up with my scanner. Secretive fucking system I guess. That witch Mary Barra probably put a hoax on it for all the shit I've said about her and these sorry ass rigs.

Lot's of guys with early 24s had emissions issues. Random shit from Sping though Summer. Many were told we don't have a solution, just continue to drive it unless the service engine light flashes.......LMFAO.

My service advisor said "it's guaranteed to be DEF related. Float assembly, heater control circuit, or injector, something along those lines. It may put you in reduced power mode when it gets down to the 50 or 60 mile mark."

Probably bring it in on Thursday.

Last edited:
Sorry you are having to deal with this. The crap diesels require to put on in order to meet epa requirements is what led me to order mine with the gas engine.
Yeah, seems like after 12 years they'd have it figured out. I won't get to worked up about it just yet. Probably a simple fix.

For the most part, I've only had two issues before. One was a DEF temp sensor at about 55k miles and the other was a 9th injector at about 80k.

The DEF temp sensor went on me towing 13k+ up a steep grade. No warning, just an immediate message in DIC that said reduced power. The pucker factor is high when 22k GCWR starts to abruptly slow with barely enough shoulder to pull over and traffic coming at you 75 mph. I was able to clear the code and make my hunt. Did it once more just as I got to camp. Didn't do it again and made it home 170 miles. Took them 2.5 days to sort out.

I can see that 9th injector issue being difficult to build a part that will last. It's mounted in the exhaust before the DPF and it's exposed to very high temps. I can tolerate normal wear. It didn't leave me stranded. Just another reduced power message and I was in town.

Never cost me a dime. Good thing is that most of these emissions parts have to be warrantied for 10+ years cause of federal laws. I know some are warrantied for 12 on certain past vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kel
Yeah, seems like after 12 years they'd have it figured out. I won't get to worked up about it just yet. Probably a simple fix.

For the most part, I've only had two issues before. One was a DEF temp sensor at about 55k miles and the other was a 9th injector at about 80k.

The DEF temp sensor went on me towing 13k+ up a steep grade. No warning, just an immediate message in DIC that said reduced power. The pucker factor is high when 22k GCWR starts to abruptly slow with barely enough shoulder to pull over and traffic coming at you 75 mph. I was able to clear the code and make my hunt. Did it once more just as I got to camp. Didn't do it again and made it home 170 miles. Took them 2.5 days to sort out.

I can see that 9th injector issue being difficult to build a part that will last. It's mounted in the exhaust before the DPF and it's exposed to very high temps. I can tolerate normal wear. It didn't leave me stranded. Just another reduced power message and I was in town.

Never cost me a dime. Good thing is that most of these emissions parts have to be warrantied for 10+ years cause of federal laws. I know some are warrantied for 12 on certain past vehicles.
It’s not so much the issues that burn me, it’s the hypocrisy of those telling us to save the planet yet..private jet flights around the globe are cool if you “buy credits” 🤷‍♂️, Kori at PPEI deleted the presidential limo and then got fined by epa a few million for emissions delete tunes, and the military has no emissions equipment because they aren’t reliable, etc. At this point, it’s like so many other things we common folk should do as they say, not as they do.

Last edited:
It’s not so much the issues that burn me, it’s the hypocrisy of those telling us to save the planet yet..private jet flights around the globe are cool if you by credits, Kori at PPEI deleted the presidential limo and then got fined by epa a few million for delete tunes, and the military has no emissions equipment because they aren’t reliable, etc. At this point, it’s like so many other things we common folk should do as they say, not as they do.
You are so right! Here in Colorado we have to pay .10 cents for a grocery bag!! Now, they have switched them to paper. I guess we are saving the dumps. A customer I had several years ago, worked at a landfill. He told me the plastic bags de-compose like anything else at the dump! I guess he would know.

Reactions: AXE
It all comes down to money. That's all it's about. They aren't trying to help anything. Emission equipment adds a ton of cost to vehicles. Which in turn creates the need for more components to be built, shipped and sold. Increased vehicle cost means more taxes on every sale. Shorter lifespan also means more vehicles need to be produced and sold.

lol if you think for a second the government or any of the manufactures care one bit that you need to get your vehicle serviced or replaced more often. It's absolutely in their best interest. All the manufactures can just put their hands up and say we are forced to do this stuff by law, Sorry. The government just puts their hands up and say we have to do this because everyone will die 10 years if we don't. Stop being selfish and take one for the team. End result is they all make more money and we get the short straw.

We are going on a cruise in a couple weeks. I looked it up just out of curiosity. Average cruise ship burns 250 Tons of fuel per day, which is around 80,000 gallons. If it was really about the environment, cruise ships, private jets, ect would be the first thing to crack down on. Not people's means of earning a living.

It all comes down to money. That's all it's about. They aren't trying to help anything. Emission equipment adds a ton of cost to vehicles. Which in turn creates the need for more components to be built, shipped and sold. Increased vehicle cost means more taxes on every sale. Shorter lifespan also means more vehicles need to be produced and sold.

lol if you think for a second the government or any of the manufactures care one bit that you need to get your vehicle serviced or replaced more often. It's absolutely in their best interest. All the manufactures can just put their hands up and say we are forced to do this stuff by law, Sorry. The government just puts their hands up and say we have to do this because everyone will die 10 years if we don't. Stop being selfish and take one for the team. End result is they all make more money and we get the short straw.

We are going on a cruise in a couple weeks. I looked it up just out of curiosity. Average cruise ship burns 250 Tons of fuel per day, which is around 80,000 gallons. If it was really about the environment, cruise ships, private jets, ect would be the first thing to crack down on. Not people's means of earning a living.
Bingo. Just think of the environmental disaster that is a golf course…chemicals, water, etc

Spot on brother.

Since there are no codes stored, I'm starting to think it's more of this janky software. Lots of people with that on Duramax Forum.

Got to the dealer and the service advisor showed a temperature sensor code active. When the diesel tech got it back to the bay, the fault showed historic, not active. It had been shut off.

He checked all the operating parameters and said everything was functioning normally. Cleared the code and I left after about 1.5 hours.

Service emissions warning was gone today, but CEL light still showing. He said that service emissions message in DIC could be triggered by temp sensor. Also said it could have been DEF level low. I don't think low DEF was the cause because I have 3 bars showing which according to the manual would mean at least 1.5 gallons left. You don't usually get warnings until about 1k miles left. But who knows, could be just more software and sensor quirkiness.

Also had a parking brake sensor code. I had that flash up on my DIC briefly briefly about 6 weeks ago when towing. I now think that was the part of the issue I was having with brake controller. There was a software update. Will have to wait until I tow again to see if it resolved the issues with frequent trailer disconnect messages.

My assumption is still janky software!

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back