engine failure

tnZR2

Reaction score
2022 ZR2

6,000 miles had cylinder 4 misfire issue. dealership replaced electronic fuel injector.

18,000 miles truck shut down on I-55 between memphis and st. louis. with cruise set on 75. engine sputtered and shut down. went into neutral then park at stop and would not start. towed to nearest dealer. gm replaced engine under warranty but took one month. was reimbursed for rental. dealership said oil filter had so much metal debris in it it was “glittering like the paint on a bass boat”. apparently a “spun bearing“.

ive had it back for about a month. so far so good. fingers crossed

Thanks for sharing. The more stories I hear like this sure drives up my interest in an extended warranty. Too many cheap parts with manufacturing and assembly issues. Anyone else or you rolling the dice?

Glad your up and running again.

There was definitely some bad crank bearings installed in some motors. Not really sure how widespread the concern is.

If you do an early oil change on that new motor, I would send in an oil analysis and track it for the first few changes. Also cut open the filter and see what it looks like.

I did my first oil change at 1500 miles and wish I would have done it sooner. My oil was really silvery color and filter had plenty of small silver particles.

Second oil change was at 4k and third was at 8k. Both looked clean. However, I do think I'm using about 1/2 quart every 2000-2500 miles. GM spec is 1 quart per 2000k on these motors.......LOL.

Glad your up and running again.

There was definitely some bad crank bearings installed in some motors. Not really sure how widespread the concern is.

If you do an early oil change on that new motor, I would send in an oil analysis and track it for the first few changes. Also cut open the filter and see what it looks like.

I did my first oil change at 1500 miles and wish I would have done it sooner. My oil was really silvery color and filter had plenty of small silver particles.

Second oil change was at 4k and third was at 8k. Both looked clean. However, I do think I'm using about 1/2 quart every 2000-2500 miles. GM spec is 1 quart per 2000k on these motors.......LOL.
good call - it’s still my favorite truck i’ve ever had. lol.

Reactions: AXE
2022 ZR2

6,000 miles had cylinder 4 misfire issue. dealership replaced electronic fuel injector.

18,000 miles truck shut down on I-55 between memphis and st. louis. with cruise set on 75. engine sputtered and shut down. went into neutral then park at stop and would not start. towed to nearest dealer. gm replaced engine under warranty but took one month. was reimbursed for rental. dealership said oil filter had so much metal debris in it it was “glittering like the paint on a bass boat”. apparently a “spun bearing“.

ive had it back for about a month. so far so good. fingers crossed
Push for an extended warranty from GM!

Most Member Reactions

Back