Engine Vibration under low rpm operation.

SGRACING

Reaction score
So as a new owner of a 23 ZR2 I've experienced a shaking vibration at low rpm operations between 1000 -1500 rpms.
So I take it to the dealership for evaluation.
I was told this is normal!
There is no fix and I will have to live with it.. Again GM is broken!
So after trying different modes of operation I found the shake and shutting only happens in Normal mode. It operates fine in l9 mode (manual)and it doesn't shutter or shake in tow haul mode.
After much research it appears to be during cylinder deactivation.
Has any one else experienced this glitch?

So as a new owner of a 23 ZR2 I've experienced a shaking vibration at low rpm operations between 1000 -1500 rpms.
So after trying different modes of operation I found the shake and shutting only happens in Normal mode. It operates fine in l9 mode (manual)and it doesn't shutter or shake in tow haul mode.
Sorry to hear you having to deal with this issue. These trucks are getting to smart for this own good. This is my biggest fear as I like to keep me trucks a long time and this kind of stuff seems inevitable at some point.

This for sure sounds like a programming issue when in non tow haul mode. Hate the cylinder deactivation period and wish is didn’t exist at all.

Can't help you on the solution, But I can say that's not normal. I put 20k on my 22 and I never noticed anything like that. Infact if it wasn't for the aftermarket exhaust, I wouldn't have been able to tell when DFM was kicking in and out really. Some times while cruising and then getting on the gas. You could tell. But not because of a vibration or anything. It just would hesitate a lil and the acceleration wasn't as smooth.

Reactions: AXE
Few dumb questions.

How many miles on the truck?

Are you using 91+?

Just turned 2k
I would give the truck more time to figure itself out. The learning process is several thousand miles long.

That shuddering sounds like the Torque Converter locking too early. My truck acted pretty strange both electrically and mechanically until about 4-5k miles.

Forcing L9 or any gear or tow/haul will change the lockup behavior.

There’s a section in the manual that discusses the learning process. (Page 210) Vary your throttle inputs and let the TCM figure itself out for a little while longer.

Last edited:
I would give the truck more time to figure itself out. The learning process is several thousand miles long.

That shuddering sounds like the Torque Converter locking too early. My truck acted pretty strange both electrically and mechanically until about 4-5k miles.

Forcing L9 or any gear or tow/haul will change the lockup behavior.

There’s a section in the manual that discusses the learning process. Very your throttle inputs and let the TCM figure itself out for a little while longer.
Thank you...
It's pretty much where I'm at in thinking as well..

I really like the truck and well it's my second one this year...The Diesel truck was not for me!
Way too many things went wrong..
I have many GM vehicles and absolutely enjoy them.. But the truck thing hasn't gone well for me.

Reactions: AXE
100% NOT NORMAL. I REPEAT, NOT NORMAL!!! find a reputable dealer.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back