Feeling Gun Shy.....

securityguy

Reaction score
I have been reading all of the posts related to the 24 about quality issues. @AXE appears to have found several and others are stating issues with the 3.0 babymax too. I just learned that my 2500 Duramax ZR2 Bison was just delivered. I must say I am a bit apprehensive about going through with the transaction. I have had ZERO issues with my 1500 except for the common infotainment issues. I love the truck and would do a few more things to it if I kept it, but really love the 2500 too. I am headed out on a BIZ trip and get back Friday around 1pm. I am then heading straight to the dealer to take a look and go for a drive. They are going to PDI it and not wash it at my request or put dealer stickers on it. I know I'll love it when I see it, but I don't want my emotions to force me to make a bad decision. I know I can buy it and then sell it in 6-months to a year and, most likely, still make money. There is one AT4X 6.6 Gasser at the GMC dealer that won't budge off MSRP or I may consider that as a viable alternative as I believe @8ball_99 did.

Keep in mind, as I have stated before, I do a TON of very short trips 1-3 miles during the week and another concern is clogging the DPF. I don't haul...I don't tow...this will be a giant TOY! I would have to go out of my way to put a good 25+ miles on her once a week to see if she'll do a nice regen. I am torn my friends and looking for any thoughts/suggestions on how you would proceed based on what I've shared.

Thanks!

I have been reading all of the posts related to the 24 about quality issues. @AXE appears to have found several and others are stating issues with the 3.0 babymax too. I just learned that my 2500 Duramax ZR2 Bison was just delivered. I must say I am a bit apprehensive about going through with the transaction. I have had ZERO issues with my 1500 except for the common infotainment issues. I love the truck and would do a few more things to it if I kept it, but really love the 2500 too. I am headed out on a BIZ trip and get back Friday around 1pm. I am then heading straight to the dealer to take a look and go for a drive. They are going to PDI it and not wash it at my request or put dealer stickers on it. I know I'll love it when I see it, but I don't want my emotions to force me to make a bad decision. I know I can buy it and then sell it in 6-months to a year and, most likely, still make money. There is one AT4X 6.6 Gasser at the GMC dealer that won't budge off MSRP or I may consider that as a viable alternative as I believe @8ball_99 did.

Keep in mind, as I have stated before, I do a TON of very short trips 1-3 miles during the week and another concern is clogging the DPF. I don't haul...I don't tow...this will be a giant TOY! I would have to go out of my way to put a good 25+ miles on her once a week to see if she'll do a nice regen. I am torn my friends and looking for any thoughts/suggestions on how you would proceed based on what I've shared.

Thanks!
It’s a gamble with any “new new” Vehicle. In my experience most issues with these trucks are a little over stated. The 1500 and 6.2 is great but it’s not an HD with a Duramax. Short trips will probably just kick regen more and you’ll have some lower fuel economy but do what’s best for your wants. The resale on the diesel will be huge none the less.

If I needed a diesel, I would have one but I don’t know if I could stomach the costs just to have one. But everyone is different. A 6.6 gas truck will be very underpowered compared to a 6.2 half ton or a diesel.

If the deal is right, it’s not a bad move.

It’s a gamble with any “new new” Vehicle. In my experience most issues with these trucks are a little over stated. The 1500 and 6.2 is great but it’s not an HD with a Duramax. Short trips will probably just kick regen more and you’ll have some lower fuel economy but do what’s best for your wants. The resale on the diesel will be huge none the less.

If I needed a diesel, I would have one but I don’t know if I could stomach the costs just to have one. But everyone is different. A 6.6 gas truck will be very underpowered compared to a 6.2 half ton or a diesel.

If the deal is right, it’s not a bad move.
Thanks my friend. The only unknown right now is my trade value. I'll know more on Friday.

Pros and cons either way. I think you should see if you can get a 24 hr test drive. I would be more worried if you like driving this big ol pig, than any notable issues with the truck.

I've never been disappointed in a vehicle I've owned. Hardly ever had any notable issues, mostly routine maintenance. These new vehicles definitely have some qc issues, but I still love my 1500 and 2500. The motors, transmission, and suspension couldnt be better. Neither one is old enough to tell a good story. I'll tell that story in 2030.

I'll tell you the thing that'll never sit right with me is shitty paint. How can that be an issue in today's world? If both my motors blow by end of year, it'll never piss me off as much as the paint.....LOL

6.6 gas with the 10 speed and 3.73 gears is no slouch. It's not as quick as a 1500 with a 6.2 ofcourse. But it runs good. It's more responsive than the diesel for in town driving. But yeah once the boost builds, a duramax is definitely faster.

I'm happy with mine. I can run regular gas, I have a 36 gallon tank with around 500 mile range. Tow mirrors, mechanical column shifter that you can shift to neutral without starting the engine, lol. I put exhaust on it today so now it sounds good too.

If you want fast and sporty. Stick to the 1500 with a 6.2. The HDs are huge and heavy. I don't care how much power you have. You aren't racing these trucks around except on straight aways. Mine is 7500lb. Duramax is more like 8,200lb. They drive great, but sporty doesn't really apply.

Thanks!
Get the gasser. The way you will use your truck is setting you up for issues with the diesel.

I say this as someone who has a 3500 Ram for towing my race car trailer but just ordered a ZR2 with the 6.6L.

For me planning to have the same driving conditions you described the gas engine will perform better over the long haul (pun intended) plus you save some coin!

I’m keeping the ram for towing. If I didn’t have anything to tow it would be gone.

Thanks!
You already know my opinion, having a career with diesels. I think you get the Allison transmission with the 6.6 liter. Kel below sums it up nicely. If you install the Ultimate 9 controller on the gasser, 3.73 gears, sea level! I think the 6.6 will be damn hard to beat! The guys up here in the altitude that I have spoken with seem to like the 6.6 liter. Tough choices, I know. For once an HD truck that is better looking than a 1/2 ton.

Mine went in for this yesterday. Last week it went in after 3 day of driving it when I turned on the AC it was dead and the cooling fan would run. Broken high pressure switch no biggie now this.

20231213_070630[1].jpg

Your lifters could go tomorrow on the one you are driving…unlikely but it “could” happen, just like I could have an issue with the 3.0 im driving or anyone could with the HD…what ifs ain’t worth living life in.

as many others have pointed out, the “problems” are over stated on any of these rigs…how many of us post “just enjoying the truck, no issues today”??? You are only going to see posts with the issues and therefore they are highlighted.

I’ve also said, you have zero need for the HD diesel but if that’s what u want, go for it. I’m more like Axe, I think your adjustment is getting used to a lifted HD as your daily…it’s completely doable and you’ll get used to it. TBD on whether ya like it.

I think we will start seeing gassers over diesels for the time being for the following reasons:

1. The HP and TQ you can now get out of the gasser means you can handle trailers that before only a diesel can handle. That has always been there but the bogie moves up in weight. My guess is the gas is fine to 12k-13k, maybe higher if it’s only an occasional tow. Anything above that the diesel and it’s low end Tq is going to be an advantage.

2. The technology is just not there for diesels to work well in an unloaded condition with today’s after treatment solutions setting it up for problems. Read $$$

3. When I bought my first diesel (Ford 7.3L Powerstroke in ’97) diesel was much less than gas (memory thinks it was about 30 cents a gallon cheaper). My second diesel was a Ram 2500 in 2003 and the prices were getting close to each other. By the time I bought my third diesel (Ram 3500) in 2010 diesel was more than gas but I needed that big of a truck to tow my trailer (every weekend). Now, in some parts of the country, diesel costs as much as 75 cents more than gas. Probably more maybe in Calif?

Note I work in the diesel industry as well so if anything my bias should be towards diesel.

I think we will start seeing gassers over diesels for the time being for the following reasons:

1. The HP and TQ you can now get out of the gasser means you can handle trailers that before only a diesel can handle. That has always been there but the bogie moves up in weight. My guess is the gas is fine to 12k-13k, maybe higher if it’s only an occasional tow. Anything above that the diesel and it’s low end Tq is going to be an advantage.

2. The technology is just not there for diesels to work well in an unloaded condition with today’s after treatment solutions setting it up for problems. Read $$$

3. When I bought my first diesel (Ford 7.3L Powerstroke in ’97) diesel was much less than gas (memory thinks it was about 30 cents a gallon cheaper). My second diesel was a Ram 2500 in 2003 and the prices were getting close to each other. By the time I bought my third diesel (Ram 3500) in 2010 diesel was more than gas but I needed that big of a truck to tow my trailer (every weekend). Now, in some parts of the country, diesel costs as much as 75 cents more than gas. Probably more maybe in Calif?

Note I work in the diesel industry as well so if anything my bias should be towards diesel.
I totally agree Kel. I always loved them for going over the passes here in Colorado. Left lane all the way in OD. Fun stuff! anymore though, too many after treatment issues can happen. My neighbors, who work oil field service and contractors, love Super Duty Ford's. They look really complicated to me. More so than a "D" Max. But I guess they pull like crazy and that's what is needed. I still see some of these guys letting modern diesels sit and curb idle! What a mistake. All they need to do is run the high idle at 1500 RPM or so and no worries. Oh well.... not my truck!

Stick with your current rig and keep doing the upgrades so I can figure out what I want and don't want. LOL.

In all seriousness, I was debating between the gas and diesel. I don't put many miles on mine. More than you but not much. I spoke with my brother-in-law who was in the gas industry for 30 years and had both gas and diesel and he said the diesel likes and needs to be run....not your cup of tea.

I drove the AT4X before I choose the ZR2. Nice rig also. Love the massaging seats but the ZR2 seamed more sporty to me. Plus I see a lot more AT4X's on the road than ZR2s. I like that.

Don't you have a McClaren? And you want a diesel? Stick with the sporty rig you have. Mod it. And if you get the itch, you can always get a 2500 Bison in late 2024 or 25. By then, maybe, just maybe, the quality issues will be fix. Fingers crossed.

My last truck was a 2015 2500 Duramax and loved it. Maybe I was lucky, but never had an issue. Actually had a couple other diesels before that. Sold my camper and decided to downsize. The sporty zr2 was the ticket. I definitely did not lose money when I sold it. I think all vehicles are going to have issues and there will be haters that love to hear themselves talk about it. The HD is a different experience,, but don’t think you will be disappointed if you decide to go bigger. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Thanks!
tough decision....i know thats no help but you are a smart dude and will figure it out.

What wheels and front end does it come with? Some of those GMC wheels are really ugly. That guy that I talked with driving a 24 ATX4 had wheels that looked like they came off a work truck. A $90k truck with $45k wheels ain't getting it for me.

They'd have to give me $15k off to drive around with a giant GeneralMotorsCorporation logo on the front.

Yeah avoid idling at all costs.
Well, this is one of the reasons I buy oil burners. Have no choice but to do this when it is well over 100 gets to 116 in the summer sometimes with 80 mph winds. Gassers do not handle that kind of idling well. My oil burners have no issues especially with the high idle on the GM trucks. Good part about the idling not just for weather but working on the ranch south of Carlsbad is I live in DFW so everything gets cleaned out nicely on the 475 mile drive home. Been doing this for years with GM, Ford and Ram HD oil burners with 0 emissions issues.

I do treat my fuel with Diesel Kleen and once a month with the Lucas Deep Clean.

Well, this is one of the reasons I buy oil burners. Have no choice but to do this when it is well over 100 gets to 116 in the summer sometimes with 80 mph winds. Gassers do not handle that kind of idling well. My oil burners have no issues especially with the high idle on the GM trucks. Good part about the idling not just for weather but working on the ranch south of Carlsbad is I live in DFW so everything gets cleaned out nicely on the 475 mile drive home. Been doing this for years with GM, Ford and Ram HD oil burners with 0 emissions issues.

I do treat my fuel with Diesel Kleen and once a month with the Lucas Deep Clean.
The high idle you mentioned is the key. Sounds like you are doing things the right way.

Most Member Reactions

Back