Frame Wax Spray

AXE

Reaction score
On my way home from the dealer with new rig I decided to do some off road travel. Went up and over some uneven terrain. Managed to hit part of my skid plate and rub this frame support, which took off a lot of the frame wax.

I wanted to get something back on the frame for protection, but also so it didn't look like a mess.

There are a lot of products that can be used for rust prevention and corrosion, but not many are compatible with the existing GM frame wax. Many want you to strip the existing off.

I ended up finding this Undercoating in a Can spray on wax product through some research. You can buy one or more cans on ebay.

It works really well and matches the existing wax coating as well. Easy to spray, just be careful for overspray. Dried a nice matte black finish.

Not sure how long it will last, but seems durable when scraping your fingernail along the surface.

Attachments

• 20231110_124404.jpg
    20231110_124404.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 237
  • 20231110_124610.jpg
    20231110_124610.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20231110_125249.jpg
    20231110_125249.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Yeah the GM service bulletin for it sounds like a CF. It's a two part process and a bunch of prep. This took me 3 minutes.

I've also seen guys say you can heat up some black cannuba wax, mineral spirits, and diesel then spray it on with a water bottle. That sounds like too much work.

Last edited:
Yeah the GM service bulletin for it sounds like a CF. It's a two part process and a bunch of prep. This took me 3 minutes.

I've also seen guys say you can heat up some black cannuba wax, mineral spirits, and diesel then spray it on with a water bottle. That sounds like too much work.
I just spray that daubert stuff on with the rattle cans, directly on top of existing coating(since it’s supposed to be what they spray on at factory I can’t tell a difference when it dries) and on my older HDs I just pressure wash and apply directly, looks good as new from what I can tell…works great FWIW

Last edited:
Yeah it's the only way! Not sure why the dealers don't know about this stuff. Seems like they could sell a lot of it.

I talked to the dealer i buy all my parts from and they looked at me like I was asking for Hunter's laptop!

Gonna tune up my 1500 frame now. Rubbed plenty off driving in tall stubble and through some pastures.

Not much concern for corrosion around here, but it makes me feel better.

That’s great to know about these, I have a few minor spots that could use a touch up but not enough that would warrant cleaning the rest of the factory coating off and applying something else.

When they were installing the suspension on my HD ZR2, they left a bunch of spots on the upper shock mounts bare due to contact with the frame. It looks like shit. I'm going to touch them up as well.

I'm gonna see how this Undercoating in a Can looks underneath in a few weeks. If it holds up then I do some more touch up work.

Most Member Reactions

Back