General Motors' new software czar, is leaving the company.

He is an exec, who cares if he goes. Execs are so far removed and don’t know what’s going on where it matters. They cut costs on software developers by going offshore and allow a 3rd party (probably) to deliver the hardware that couldn’t outperform a Timex Sinclair 1000 or TRS-80. It’s not that hard to fix. But they’d rather save money and deliver shit so they can collect the short term and long term incentive packages.

Posted this on another site this morning. Software is a PITA sometimes and lord knows GM has problems with it.

"
Funny that this thread came up again. Today on a national syndicated radio show "Car Talk with Jerry Reynolds" the website has links to the pod cast and the one from today should be up shortly. The discussion about this subject was addressed in the first hour if memory serves. The CarPro Podcast | CarPro

The specific process was not detailed however, in the bowels of the settings for On Star the submittal of this driving data back to On Star can be disabled. There will be more on this in the future on what screens to go through, but the capability is there.

I just got back from a trip to NM which I take about every 3 weeks and my Nav is frozen with a map displayed from where I do not know and there is a message at the bottom of the screen " searching for GPS", voice to text reply's function does not work, the speed limit information on the HUD is frozen. Spent a couple of hours total working via a telecon resetting and going through screens I did not even know existed like clearing the cache for example during extensive troubleshooting to find the systemic cause. Both On Star technical advisors told me that they have not seen this AND because this capability is new to the 2024 models there is not much data has been compiled on this new capability provided from Google through On-Star.

I have a case number from On-Star as the issue has been escalated to a higher technical level and I should get a call in about 5 days. As a result, have a case number from Chevrolet now that will officially start the Buy Back Process if the repair attempts are not successful at the Dealer. The letter to GM that must be sent certified to Chevrolet (has specific language for Texas) is going in the mail Monday with copies being hand delivered to the Dealer when it is dropped off for repair on Monday. Have to get the clock officially started and every state is a little different with specific requirements.

Generally, I do not like to do this and have not had to since my 2020 GMC because it is a pain however, software issues (or hopefully it will be hardware that the diagnostics from On-Star did not or could not see) can be very problematic.

I love the truck; however, this is not an issue I can live with so I have high hopes that the world's largest Chevrolet dealer can figure it out."

Posted this on another site this morning. Software is a PITA sometimes and lord knows GM has problems with it.

"
Funny that this thread came up again. Today on a national syndicated radio show "Car Talk with Jerry Reynolds" the website has links to the pod cast and the one from today should be up shortly. The discussion about this subject was addressed in the first hour if memory serves. The CarPro Podcast | CarPro

The specific process was not detailed however, in the bowels of the settings for On Star the submittal of this driving data back to On Star can be disabled. There will be more on this in the future on what screens to go through, but the capability is there.

I just got back from a trip to NM which I take about every 3 weeks and my Nav is frozen with a map displayed from where I do not know and there is a message at the bottom of the screen " searching for GPS", voice to text reply's function does not work, the speed limit information on the HUD is frozen. Spent a couple of hours total working via a telecon resetting and going through screens I did not even know existed like clearing the cache for example during extensive troubleshooting to find the systemic cause. Both On Star technical advisors told me that they have not seen this AND because this capability is new to the 2024 models there is not much data has been compiled on this new capability provided from Google through On-Star.

I have a case number from On-Star as the issue has been escalated to a higher technical level and I should get a call in about 5 days. As a result, have a case number from Chevrolet now that will officially start the Buy Back Process if the repair attempts are not successful at the Dealer. The letter to GM that must be sent certified to Chevrolet (has specific language for Texas) is going in the mail Monday with copies being hand delivered to the Dealer when it is dropped off for repair on Monday. Have to get the clock officially started and every state is a little different with specific requirements.

Generally, I do not like to do this and have not had to since my 2020 GMC because it is a pain however, software issues (or hopefully it will be hardware that the diagnostics from On-Star did not or could not see) can be very problematic.

I love the truck; however, this is not an issue I can live with so I have high hopes that the world's largest Chevrolet dealer can figure it out."
I had the same issue on my 22. It was addressed with infotainment update Y171. I doubt it's anything unique to the 24. A good tech at the dealer can likely resolve the issue.

Those clowns from OnStar don't know shit about these vehicles. Most of them are sitting in a call center in Sri Lanka and drive mopeds.

Unfortunately, you'll have to unnute me or you'll never know the good advice I have to offer.

I had the same issue on my 22. It was addressed with infotainment update Y171. I doubt it's anything unique to the 24. A good tech at the dealer can likely resolve the issue.

Those clowns from OnStar don't know shit about these vehicles. Most of them are sitting in a call center in Sri Lanka and drive mopeds.

Unfortunately, you'll have to unnute me or you'll never know the good advice I have to offer.
you said it @ AXE ...onstar clowns!!!!

Update: The escalation to a higher tier of support took care of this issue yesterday yes on a Sunday. Called and was advised that this is an issue on some of the 2024 vehicles not just the trucks. The notes in the case file OnStar had did not go into the detail however, it had to do with a settings issue with OnStar. For those with a 2024 GM vehicle not 2023 and older the way to completely reset the infotainment system is to with the truck in park and running press and hold the end call button on the steering wheel and that will perform a hard reset. Found this out from the advisor. Now I will have to go into the system settings and figure out how to disable the reporting of my driving detail being reported to OnStar who then sells the data to others.

Update: The escalation to a higher tier of support took care of this issue yesterday yes on a Sunday. Called and was advised that this is an issue on some of the 2024 vehicles not just the trucks. The notes in the case file OnStar had did not go into the detail however, it had to do with a settings issue with OnStar. For those with a 2024 GM vehicle not 2023 and older the way to completely reset the infotainment system is to with the truck in park and running press and hold the end call button on the steering wheel and that will perform a hard reset. Found this out from the advisor. Now I will have to go into the system settings and figure out how to disable the reporting of my driving detail being reported to OnStar who then sells the data to others.

i know its in the chevy app if you use that.

They have forgotten the essence of owning a vehicle. It's supposed to enhance your ability to travel the neighborhood or wherever you desire freely for work and leisure. It should be reliable and free of gimmicks that don't add value but compromise integrity of the vehicle. They are failing.

Government Motors 2.0 "The Mary Barra Years"!
just like cars in the late 50'searly 60's.

You could have asked them on disabling the reporting of the driving data by OnStar 😁

hope the guys wins his suit. GM did him dirty. if anyone has the app, you best toggle off smart driver.
Agree. I turned it on to see what it does. It looks like when you take seat belt off even when in parking or stopped, but with vehicle on, it breaks the streak.

Most Member Reactions

Back