GM Introduces Chevy Silverado Steel Driveshaft Accessory

The_Q

Founding Member
Reaction score
Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Steel-Driveshaft-Official-Chevrolet-Accessory.jpg
Anyone else see this from GM Authority?

New steel driveshaft available for our trucks. Price point isn’t to bad at $775, considering when I was looking for a replacement driveshaft for my Ram it was upwards of $900.

My only question is the RPM limit of 4,391 suitable for sustained highway driving at say 80 to 90 mph. Remember, I live in Texas and we have some nice stretches of highway with high limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

New steel driveshaft available for our trucks. Price point isn’t to bad at $775, considering when I was looking for a replacement driveshaft for my Ram it was upwards of $900.

My only question is the RPM limit of 4,391 suitable for sustained highway driving at say 80 to 90 mph. Remember, I live in Texas and we have some nice stretches of highway with high limits.
I’m also in Texas and saw that posted this morning. Hope someone with more knowledge has a good answer for that. One concern I have about clearance is the bottom of the rear shock mounts hang down and that will effect ground clearance and surly don’t want to rip them off. Was going to look into seeing if an off road shop might have a fix. Issues was pointed out in this review:

I’m also in Texas and saw that posted this morning. Hope someone with more knowledge has a good answer for that. One concern I have about clearance is the bottom of the rear shock mounts hang down and that will effect ground clearance and surly don’t want to rip them off. Was going to look into seeing if an off road shop might have a fix. Issues was pointed out in this review:

I've watched that video and laugh at that guy's review. It's like they took someone that was used to daily driving a mini van and made him do a review on an off-road truck. Go watch TFL's reviews and videos if you want better reviews from folks that owned a ZR2.

No issues at all. Max driveshaft rpm in these trucks is about 3200~ at 98.

Engine RPM / Transmisson Gear Ratio = Driveshaft RPM.

Maximum operating RPM is well below the failure RPM. Usually half or damn near it.

I've watched that video and laugh at that guy's review. It's like they took someone that was used to daily driving a mini van and made him do a review on an off-road truck. Go watch TFL's reviews and videos if you want better reviews from folks that owned a ZR2.
I agree he kind of Pissed me off with the how he was knit picking everything and so negative. I’ve been pro Chevy all my life. I’m trading in my 2020 SS Camaro with 6300 miles and 2020 Sierra for the ZR2 and have watched everything I can get my hands on about this truck. Appreciate you taking your free time and helping other out in this forum and I’ll be adding my future upgrades and continuing on this forum when I get my truck.

I saw these on a Matt Ross video, Rear shock skids
https://589fab.com/collections/silverado-armor-skids-support-brackets/products/shock-skids-pair
They're currently out of stock, I called and they said skids will be available in a couple of weeks

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_162324_1564x1564.jpg
    IMG_20220428_162324_1564x1564.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 56
  • RNFetchBlobTmp_0u6fxaqlx8olc9hvf8l0pb_485x489.jpg
    RNFetchBlobTmp_0u6fxaqlx8olc9hvf8l0pb_485x489.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 61
  • RNFetchBlobTmp_unux0hi1kipmoqw1ozht9_586x600.jpg
    RNFetchBlobTmp_unux0hi1kipmoqw1ozht9_586x600.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Yeah, this guy is a dildo. He attempts to come off as knowledgeable, but it’s clear he has zero idea of what he talks about. I called him out for being a hack journalist on the Edmonds YouTube channel and it was the most liked comment on that thread

Attachments

• 4B3F091B-D6E7-45C7-A7C2-F441AC734F58.jpeg
    4B3F091B-D6E7-45C7-A7C2-F441AC734F58.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
All of the reviews on the ZR2 have been absolutely biased towards the TRX and the Raptor.

The current pricing of these trucks doesn’t help. As a Bison “base” is more now then a Raptor “High”. You load up a Bison with the tech package and you are 2-3 grand off from a Raptor 37. (Assuming you find one without 10-15k in ADM. Which all the reviews fail to mention)

The pricing of these trucks @ launch fit the better then a Tremor and a TRD PRO slot this truck sits in. But anymore, it’s a very hard sell @ MSRP v MSRP.

But In the “real world” it’s a value due to the current market BS dealers are pulling. ZR2’s with no mark up are a much more common occurrence.

Last edited:
So what is the point of a steel drive shaft? More weight seems worse to my brain.

Seems like a moot point to spend that kind of money. If it gets damaged then just replace with stock imo. I haven't seen very many damaged drive shafts due to impact

Seems like a moot point to spend that kind of money. If it gets damaged then just replace with stock imo. I haven't seen very many damaged drive shafts due to impact.
Agree 100%.

All of the reviews on the ZR2 have been absolutely biased towards the TRX and the Raptor.

The current pricing of these trucks doesn’t help. As a Bison “base” is more now then a Raptor “High”. You load up a Bison with the tech package and you are 2-3 grand off from a Raptor 37. (Assuming you find one without 10-15k in ADM. Which all the reviews fail to mention)

The pricing of these trucks @ launch fit the better then a Tremor and a TRD PRO slot this truck sits in. But anymore, it’s a very hard sell @ MSRP v MSRP.

But In the “real world” it’s a value due to the current market BS dealers are pulling. ZR2’s with no mark up are a much more common occurrence.
Additionally, GM never said this as a Raptor and TRX competitor. It easily beats the TRD's and Tremors, so it's somewhere in the middle. It's in its own class.
What impresses me the most about this truck, is there is literally nothing those trucks can do that this can't. (Apart from hang in a 1/4 mile race). I often think how over the top those trucks are for the little value they provide comparatively. I do wish that for the money they provided adjustable exhaust and larger wheel wells (to calm the people who insist on 35's). Largely, it's been a truck that continually makes me very happy on and off-road.

I agree. I think Silverado pricing in general has gotten ridiculously out of hand. The base price of the ZR2 has gone up $5,100 since launch to now what it costs for a 2023. That's insane for a 10 month price increase. even at $70k with tech pkg, the ZR2 has a price point that's too high but at least it competes with the Tremor there. At $75k, the truck is priced well above it's performance point and well above what a Tremor is, which is really what this trucks compares best to.

If you're building an off-road truck that's going to be priced in Raptor territory, you need to be a Raptor competitor and that's not what the ZR2 is.

I agree. I think Silverado pricing in general has gotten ridiculously out of hand. The base price of the ZR2 has gone up $5,100 since launch to now what it costs for a 2023. That's insane for a 10 month price increase. even at $70k with tech pkg, the ZR2 has a price point that's too high but at least it competes with the Tremor there. At $75k, the truck is priced well above it's performance point and well above what a Tremor is, which is really what this trucks compares best to.

If you're building an off-road truck that's going to be priced in Raptor territory, you need to be a Raptor competitor and that's not what the ZR2 is.
Totally agree. These trucks are no where near competition for the Raptor, that truck is built to be out in the sand dunes of the western states not off road trail riding and rock crawling, so they are completely different classes of vehicles. Living in NE FL, I need off road capability not sand dune capability.

Most Member Reactions

Back