GM to remove CarPlay and Android Auto

For what’s it’s worth, this was a conversion I had with my sales guy last Friday. My dealer has one of the first Blazer EVs in stock. It’s the only one in the region and in two months there has been one person look at it. They can’t even get anyone remotely interested in it.

I figure it’s a mix of low gas prices, unknown quality, and people hearing that the manufacturers are lowering their expectations for EVs which could mean lowered support in the future. Personally, I’m out just on the cost of a replacement battery staring me in the face.

For what’s it’s worth, this was a conversion I had with my sales guy last Friday. My dealer has one of the first Blazer EVs in stock. It’s the only one in the region and in two months there has been one person look at it. They can’t even get anyone remotely interested in it.

I figure it’s a mix of low gas prices, unknown quality, and people hearing that the manufacturers are lowering their expectations for EVs which could mean lowered support in the future. Personally, I’m out just on the cost of a replacement battery staring me in the face.
What does this have to do with the removal of Carplay and Android Auto?

What does this have to do with the removal of Carplay and Android Auto?
The article says they’re doing it on the coming EVs (probably first) but if they can’t sell said EVs, they probably won’t bring the change to the rest of the fleet.

Consider What they want for the Blazer EV, I’m not even slightly surprised they have no takers! :(

Reactions: AXE
Off topic, but today Furd announced they are cutting F150 Lighting production substantially due to low demand.

A guy on local news the other night was having to replace batteries on an EV that was only a few years old. Was gonna cost $20k.

Safety.....I kind of agree. I haven't had many issues, but I did a long trip in October and my navigation disconnected many times in 2.5 days. Always stopping to get it going again was a hassle.

Lawyers said get rid of it!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231213_002656_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231213_002656_Chrome.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 35
I don't know! Maybe pro rated or some other bullshit.

Why would that not be covered under warranty?
If it's the same one I read about it is a 2014 Infinity. After getting a bunch of negative publicity, Infinity contacted the guy and offer to cut the price in half. But, like the guy said, he only paid $16K for the car a year ago, so, even putting the $10K in the car does not make sense 😞

If it's the same one I read about it is a 2014 Infinity. After getting a bunch of negative publicity, Infinity contacted the guy and offer to cut the price in half. But, like the guy said, he only paid $16K for the car a year ago, so, even putting the $10K in the car does not make sense 😞
I don't think a 2014 Infiniti had a hybrid or EV???

I hate they call it a Blazer, But to be honest the regular Blazer isn't a bad looking CAR. The EV sucks. A few reviews on youtube of the EV version. Basically nothing good. You can tell the reviewers don't want to knock it and are trying to just say positive stuff. But in the end, It's expensive, doesn't get good mileage and the range is low. It doesn't have the Tesla plug yet, So your stuck with crappy public chargers and the lack there of, lol.

Reactions: AXE
Off topic, but today Furd announced they are cutting F150 Lighting production substantially due to low demand.

A guy on local news the other night was having to replace batteries on an EV that was only a few years old. Was gonna cost $20k.
Axe, I think they all thought they were the big boys and all they had to do was throw billions at it and they could dominate the market. Just isn't the case. The EV trucks are useless and the cars are still very use case specific. Most people don't want a vehicle that's 50k+ only to be super limited to what they can do with it.

I've said it before, but my wife has a Model 3. We both love it. It was cheaper than a Toyota camery and it works great for her. No way we would have bought an EV that was much more expensive. We also wouldn't have even considered one if we had to rely on public charging. Especially non Tesla network.

Lots of Tesla's and other EVs in my hood. I've seen two of those F150s just recently. Many options for charging including Tesla stations, gas stations and local businesses. They probably make sense if your just commuting and running errands.

I really don't take issue with EVs and definitely support Tesla cause it's an American company. I just don't like all the political bullshit and lies that are told to make them sound better and more environmentally friendly.

I've spent the last 30+ years developing energy projects including power plants, substations, transmission lines, pipelines, oil and gas, wind and solar. Many of the recent projects were long haul high voltage transmission lines and wind and solar. I've worked on two of the largest transmission line projects crossing multiple states to get wind out of Wyoming and New Mexico to feed California and Southwest. Over 12 years to get final environmental permits to construct. One thing they won't advertise is the massive footprint these projects have and the environmental consequences. They'll consume 10s of thousands of acres to construct and require massive amounts of mining and oil for materials and construction.

Your electric bill will soon exceed $500 month. Mine already does in the summer. The utilities are overspending to meet phony ESG mandates and the public service commissions are constantly approving rate increases to protect the utility monopolies and pay for high costs. It's only just beginning and you could pay $1000 month bills by 2035 to cover the costs of trillions of $$$ of new electrical infrastructure.

Oh I agree completely, The EV push is pretty stupid. It's not better for the environment and just like anything the government touches. They are screwing everything up. Telsa's were fine. Small part of the market and people that wanted an EV could get one. Then the government had to get involved pushing and setting mandates. Wide spread EV adoption doesn't make sense. Much less mandates forcing it. I think commuter cars that can level 1 or level 2 charge at home at night during off peak hours do make some sense. But all this other stuff and trying to force the market is crazy.

I guess if I have to give it up, I’ll concede if they integrate Google maps with real time traffic and Spotify that doesn’t cut out mid song for starters.

I guess if I have to give it up, I’ll concede if they integrate Google maps with real time traffic and Spotify that doesn’t cut out mid song for starters.
Nope, we let them sit there on the lot, lol. Same thing when companies start trying to charge monthly for heated seats, ect. Same thing that's happening with EVs. If people don't buy the vehicles. Manufactures start back tracking on decisions. I bought a 500 dollar radio for my Kids 05 silverado. It has wireless android auto/car play. Works perfectly. No reason a 70k+ vehicle shouldn't have it. It's just them trying to up profits..

Built in requires data plans. I'm sure eventually they would add a fee to actually unlock the nav portion also. They already made the first steps by integrating the infotainment to the point it can't be swapped out.

Most Member Reactions

Back