HD ZR2 5th wheel/gooseneck TOWING: Diesel vs. GAS??

Reaction score
Hello all...can someone...Anyone explain to me #WHY/HOW on the new ZR2 HD, in regards to towing 5th wheel/gooseneck.....WHY/HOW is the Diesel rated at 18,700lbs and the GAS model is rated at 18,070lbs....again for 5th wheel/gooseneck....shouldn't the diesel be rated higher??....higher than 630lbs more....

Hello all...can someone...Anyone explain to me #WHY/HOW on the new ZR2 HD, in regards to towing 5th wheel/gooseneck.....WHY/HOW is the Diesel rated at 18,700lbs and the GAS model is rated at 18,070lbs....again for 5th wheel/gooseneck....shouldn't the diesel be rated higher??....higher than 630lbs more....
Pretty sure you have the numbers wrong. The 6.6 gas is around 17k, the 6.6 diesel is around 18k. I'm not sure on a ZR2 specifically. I just know that's how it is for a crew cab standard bed HD. No way the ZR2 gas is rated more than other trims. It's actually less. It might be closer to 15k.

Also, I'm sure you probably know this. But I'll just throw it out there. Those ratings don't really mean much. Generally payload and GVWR are the limiting factors. IE I think the ZR2 HD has a payload of around 3,200. So you aren't pulling a 18k 5th wheel with any of them you are actually maxed out at around 13k lol. Pin weight is around 25%. Bumper pull is around 10%. So you would need a payload of 4500 to even consider a 18k fifth wheel

Also, I'm sure you probably know this. But I'll just throw it out there. Those ratings don't really mean much. Generally payload and GVWR are the limiting factors. IE I think the ZR2 HD has a payload of around 3,200. So you aren't pulling a 18k 5th wheel with any of them you are actually maxed out at around 13k lol. Pin weight is around 25%. Bumper pull is around 10%. So you would need a payload of 4500 to even consider a 18k fifth wheel
Ok thank you...your second comment is really helpful...and on the first comment...if you look on GM Authority site.....it's the numbers I stated AND when you search for Videos of them....ON THE STICKER of the DOOR...for the Diesel it's 18,700 and the 6.6l GAS it's 18,070 for the ZR2 2500HD.... but again your second comment was really helpful

Ok thank you...your second comment is really helpful...and on the first comment...if you look on GM Authority site.....it's the numbers I stated AND when you search for Videos of them....ON THE STICKER of the DOOR...for the Diesel it's 18,700 and the 6.6l GAS it's 18,070 for the ZR2 2500HD.... but again your second comment was really helpful
NP, I was just giving a heads up. I grew up at an RV dealership. Lots of people get thrown by the marketing and tow rating.

Wow that's really strange. I'm not sure why GM has them listed like that. The diesel is rated for slightly more on the trailering guide. But again neither can actually tow that legally. Here is some screen shots of the trailering guide from chevy.
Screenshot_20231030_114722_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231030_114741_Drive.jpg

NP, I was just giving a heads up. I grew up at an RV dealership. Lots of people get thrown by the marketing and tow rating.

Wow that's really strange. I'm not sure why GM has them listed like that. The diesel is rated for slightly more on the trailering guide. But again neither can actually tow that legally. Here is some screen shots of the trailering guide from chevy.View attachment 8111View attachment 8112
Here's GMAUTHORITY.COM..... and thanx for the heads up...I got guys using airbags on their older model 3/4 diesels but I didn't want to do that with the Zr2 and the rv's I was looking at were around 13k dry and 16k loaded

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030_134311_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231030_134311_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 33
Yeah I'd definitely shop based off that 3,400 and 3,200 payload they list for them. That will be the limiting factor. You might actually need airbags anyway. Even if you are with in the ratings. But airbags don't increase your ratings though.

You want those stickers on the truck and trailer to match up. If you ever get checked or worse have a wreck. Having a dry weight of 13k and a truck payload of 3,200 could easily cause you trouble. Not hard to figure out a 2k sxs in the back of that 13k trailer is well over the trucks ratings. That number also includes passengers, gear basically anything added to the truck other than fuel. So realistically you automatically deduct the driver's weight.

Reactions: AXE
Yeah I'd definitely shop based off that 3,400 and 3,200 payload they list for them. That will be the limiting factor. You might actually need airbags anyway. Even if you are with in the ratings. But airbags don't increase your ratings though.

You want those stickers on the truck and trailer to match up. If you ever get checked or worse have a wreck. Having a dry weight of 13k and a truck payload of 3,200 could easily cause you trouble. Not hard to figure out a 2k sxs in the back of that 13k trailer is well over the trucks ratings. That number also includes passengers, gear basically anything added to the truck other than fuel. So realistically you automatically deduct the driver's weight.
👍👍Thank you for the info

And so you think MAX on ZR2HD is 13k?? Around 3200 or so payload?....Kind of disappointing....that means I have to consider a 25'-30ish foot trailer with the ZR2HD...which I didn't want one that "small"......all the 5thwheels I like are around 35-40 footers with 13k(dry)-15/16k max.....

OK...I am not an expert on towing so I want to make sure I understand. Are we saying that a 2500 HD Duramax ZR2 with the fifth wheel package really can't tow a decent 5th wheel???

OK...I am not an expert on towing so I want to make sure I understand. Are we saying that a 2500 HD Duramax ZR2 with the fifth wheel package really can't tow a decent 5th wheel???
A "decent 5th wheel" is extremely relative to your personal interests, needs, and experience level.

So the way it works is you take the trailer weight and you figure the pin weight at about 25%. So yeah 13k would equal a pin weight of 3,250. So just the dry weight of that camper is at max cargo capacity for ZR2 HD. Technically within in the gas limit. But only by 100 pounds. Again passengers and gear also count.

To be fair all the offroad trims are like that. Honestly if you want a big 5th wheel. You should be looking at a 3500 in like a LT trim. The higher trims decrease capacity. Loaded offroad trim with a crew cab is basically the worse payload you can get lol.

Back in the day you pretty much had to get a dually for bigger 5th wheels.

So the way it works is you take the trailer weight and you figure the pin weight at about 25%. So yeah 13k would equal a pin weight of 3,250. So just the dry weight of that camper is at max cargo capacity for ZR2 HD. Technically within in the gas limit. But only by 100 pounds. Again passengers and gear also count.

To be fair all the offroad trims are like that. Honestly if you want a big 5th wheel. You should be looking at a 3500 in like a LT trim. The higher trims decrease capacity. Loaded offroad trim with a crew cab is basically the worse payload you can get lol.

Back in the day you pretty much had to get a dually for bigger 5th wheels.
But I have plenty of co-workers with 17' and 18' F250's SRW with air bags towing 16k+ 5th wheels with no problems🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

But I have plenty of co-workers with 17' and 18' F250's SRW with air bags towing 16k+ 5th wheels with no problems🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
You don't have to have a dually. I was talking about a long time ago. Now, You can easily get up to around 4500# payload in a SRW HD. But it won't be a Tremor or a ZR2. Even back in 2017 you could get a SRW with 4500# payload.

Also don't misunderstand. They all have the same engine, transmissions, ect. A ZR2 HD will pull a 16k trailer. Especially with airbags or helper springs added. But the suspension reduces its rated capacity. Which means if you are ever checked or have a wreck, ect. You will be considered overloaded. This could be a ticket, or this could be a state trooper not letting you continue on down the road. It also could be trouble with insurance if you have a wreck. Whether it's your fault or not.

Warranty could also be a problem. Not sure if you seen that dodge dually broke in half with a truck camper on it. Warranty claim refused. Dealer told him the truck would haul it. He thought it was with in spec because he was going of the cargo capacity of a base model Cummings.

If you are starting from scratch, it just makes sense to buy a combo that is with in its rated capacity.

You don't have to have a dually. I was talking about a long time ago. Now, You can easily get up to around 4500# payload in a SRW HD. But it won't be a Tremor or a ZR2. Even back in 2017 you could get a SRW with 4500# payload.

Also don't misunderstand. They all have the same engine, transmissions, ect. A ZR2 HD will pull a 16k trailer. Especially with airbags or helper springs added. But the suspension reduces its rated capacity. Which means if you are ever checked or have a wreck, ect. You will be considered overloaded. This could be a ticket, or this could be a state trooper not letting you continue on down the road. It also could be trouble with insurance if you have a wreck. Whether it's your fault or not.

Warranty could also be a problem. Not sure if you seen that dodge dually broke in half with a truck camper on it. Warranty claim refused. Dealer told him the truck would haul it. He thought it was with in spec because he was going of the cargo capacity of a base model Cummings.

If you are starting from scratch, it just makes sense to buy a combo that is with in its rated capacity.
Gotcha👍👍

Less so for ZR2! Most people buy them so they look good in the coffee line or outside the sports bar. #posers

I'm OK with smaller campers, cause I can't get into tighter spots when hunting. I actually like my 28 foot travel trailer toyhauler. That way I can still haul some gear in back of truck. It hauls my 4 seat sxs, generator, the essentials comforts for a week's stay, and sleeps 6 people if you want.

When I roll down the road I'm anywhere from 22,500 to 24,000 GCWR. Best way to verify is pull into a truck stop and hit the scales. I'm am very close to fully loaded on all axles if I have my family and all their gear. If it's just me I shed 1500 lbs easily.

Last edited:
Earlier this summer a guy down the street bought one of those massive Luxe Elite toyhauler 5ers that must be 46 to 48 feet. His Ram truck looked tiny pulling it. I thought there's no way he's rated for that ginormous trailer and it looked sketchy as hell. Last week I seen him come by with a Freightliner tow rig, which looks much more suited to the task.

This isn't his 5er, but the tow rig looks the same. This is what it takes to pull a luxury 5er that is nicer than most houses.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231101_150445_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231101_150445_Google.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Earlier this summer a guy down the street bought one of those massive Luxe Elite toyhauler 5ers that must be 46 to 48 feet. His Ram truck looked tiny pulling it. I thought there's no way he's rated for that ginormous trailer and it looked sketchyas hell. Last week I seen him come by with a Frightliner tow rig, which looks much more suited to the task.

This isn't his 5er, but the tow rig looks the same. This is what it takes to pull a luxury 5er that is nicer than most houses.
Yep exactly trucks have gotten bigger and more capable. But large campers have gotten bigger and heavier also, lol. People think if they have a 3/4 or 1 ton they can pull anything. Just isn't the case. Half ton means ultra light camper. Loaded trim 3/4 ton equals average to medium sized camper.

Packed and loaded for a trip. I think most people would be surprised what a scale would say.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back