Headlamp Assembly?

MO_ZR2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Went to the Chiefs game last night and on my way home smoked an owl…it completely busted through the dust cover of the driver headlamp. Everything actually appears to be working fine but the plastic outer cover has a hole big enough I can easily put my fist through. After removing some feathers, drove him and lights worked fine…owl wasn’t working fine however.

I’ve not dug into it yet but assuming the entire assembly has to be swapped? And assuming based on my quick searches they are a grand or more…sigh. Was curious if anyone on the forum that’s been doing lighting mods has come across a solid aftermarket option to maintain OEM look (don’t need or desire to change appearance or swap both out). Thanks crew!

You might can get lucky and find a take off one on Ebay or online some where. That or if you know a body shop, Good chance they have a source for used parts. I doubt you will find a aftermarket one that matches OEM. I've never had a ton of luck with aftermarket headlights. They look good when new, But they are usually cheaply made and don't last. I went through a few different sets on my LML. Maybe on these trucks that's not the case?

glass half full take is that it could have hit the part of the front fender under the headlight. Depending on your deductible and ins company you might look at a claim. Just thinking that I doubt you’ll find an after market part with the bow tie on the orange reflector.

Reactions: AXE
Aftermarket won’t be an option if you want it to match. GM will not license branding to the A/M. Bow tie will not be on the reflector as stated.

If it’s just the headlamp, I would source one from eBay. Plenty of lights available. Install it yourself or find an independent shop to install it for you.

Making a claim you’d save about grand if you have a 500 deductible. But you’ll have a hit on the truck and your policy. You’ll pay it back the next time you renew.

If the used light craps out under 3/36 the dealer will have no idea it’s been replaced. It’s a decent “insurance” policy.

You might can get lucky and find a take off one on Ebay or online some where. That or if you know a body shop, Good chance they have a source for used parts. I doubt you will find a aftermarket one that matches OEM. I've never had a ton of luck with aftermarket headlights. They look good when new, But they are usually cheaply made and don't last. I went through a few different sets on my LML. Maybe on these trucks that's not the case?
Yeah, completely agree..was hoping I might get lucky 😉

Aftermarket won’t be an option if you want it to match. GM will not license branding to the A/M. Bow tie will not be on the reflector as stated.

If it’s just the headlamp, I would source one from eBay. Plenty of lights available. Install it yourself or find an independent shop to install it for you.

Making a claim you’d save about grand if you have a 500 deductible. But you’ll have a hit on the truck and your policy. You’ll pay it back the next time you renew.

If the used light craps out under 3/36 the dealer will have no idea it’s been replaced. It’s a decent “insurance” policy.
Exactly, I'd never make a claim over a headlight, ect. Between insurance and carfax. It's not worth it. I had a service truck clip my drivers side mirror on a bridge with either the very back edge of his service bed or something he had hanging off it. He kept going. Tow mirror is 1500 bucks. I didn't call insurance, lol. It sucks, But isn't worth a claim for minor damage to a bolt on part.

That bow tie gonna be expensive 😅 - I’ll look for an option and install myself, no worries. I was really hoping I was just having a brain fart moment and that surely the exterior glass wouldn’t require a $1500 entire assembly but should have known better!

Attachments

• Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 3:59 PM.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 43
That bow tie gonna be expensive 😅 - I’ll look for an option and install myself, no worries. I was really hoping I was just having a brain fart moment and that surely the exterior glass wouldn’t require a $1500 entire assembly but should have known better!
So you actually can probably replace just the lens. Problem is you can't buy the lens, lol. It's a sealed unit, But I've taken headlights apart before to add halo's or leds to them. They glue the lenses on, But usually if you take your time you can open them up and then seal them back together. To even attempt that though, you would have to find a non working headlight cheap to use for parts. That's probably harder to find then a take off working one lol.

A little saran wrap and some duct tape should do it.

Yep, probably just have to eat it. I've installed non OEM headlights. They look good and function fine, but they seem to weather faster and leak. I wouldn't do it on a new rig, but maybe something older.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get a new one. Someone told me last week they were still waiting weeks for parts after an accident.

My son's friend said their body shop was getting slow because the insurance companies are totalling so many vehicles due to parts availability and pricing. Can't rely on anything anymore.

To your point in another thread…glad I got three trucks to “get by” in the post COVID apocalypse 😅

To your point in another thread…glad I got three trucks to “get by” in the post COVID apocalypse 😅
I swear, it sounds stoopid as hell, but I don't worry as much now. LOL.

Yep, probably just have to eat it. I've installed non OEM headlights. They look good and function fine, but they seem to weather faster and leak. I wouldn't do it on a new rig, but maybe something older.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get a new one. Someone told me last week they were still waiting weeks for parts after an accident.

My son's friend said their body shop was getting slow because the insurance companies are totalling so many vehicles due to parts availability and pricing. Can't rely on anything anymore.
Local dealer quoted $1200 something…one showing up in stock across the US. He assumed it was for their body shop on a repair.

ETA unknown…he said, “they are making trucks, few parts these days, sorry man. I’ll keep ya posted”

Sounds about right. Just seen a story about supply line disruptions again because of all the shipping issues in Middle East and ships getting attacked. Lets start some more wars and pull more phony bullshit to screw with people.....yee haw!

Last edited:
Went to the Chiefs game last night and on my way home smoked an owl…it completely busted through the dust cover of the driver headlamp. Everything actually appears to be working fine but the plastic outer cover has a hole big enough I can easily put my fist through. After removing some feathers, drove him and lights worked fine…owl wasn’t working fine however.

I’ve not dug into it yet but assuming the entire assembly has to be swapped? And assuming based on my quick searches they are a grand or more…sigh. Was curious if anyone on the forum that’s been doing lighting mods has come across a solid aftermarket option to maintain OEM look (don’t need or desire to change appearance or swap both out). Thanks crew!
well that is what insurance is for.

well that is what insurance is for.
It is but I’m going to pay out of pocket as they end up increasing premium to cover their “additional cost” (which in and of itself is BS but that’s how it works) and I don’t want to risk “damage” on the papertrail for this truck on reports like CarFax.

Having said that…I have zero idea on an ETA as there aren’t any in stock dealer wise across the country.

It is but I’m going to pay out of pocket as they end up increasing premium to cover their “additional cost” (which in and of itself is BS but that’s how it works) and I don’t want to risk “damage” on the papertrail for this truck on reports like CarFax.

Having said that…I have zero idea on an ETA as there aren’t any in stock dealer wise across the country.
I've had parts fixed and no increase in premiums a few years back. Now I get price increases every 6 months to cover the people that don't care about laws and illegals. Might be worth just filing the claim.

This guy on ebay has a lot fo zr2 parts,not the cheapest but so far they have had at least 3 zr2's that have been smashed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_222615_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_222615_eBay.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 27

Most Member Reactions

Back