Hello everyone!

Westcoast

Reaction score
New 2024 ZR2 owner from Ontario Canada. Only a couple days of driving but I love this ride. It was the 3.0 diesel that sold me.

It's the Dark Ash Metallic however as my wife says - might as well call it black. Perhaps in bright sunlight it'll show some other hues.

Coming off a 2016 Colorado and really enjoying the bigger size of this ZR2. I had a 2012 Raptor which I bought new and this reminds of it, sizewise.

We just got a winter blast of snow and cold temps so I have noticed a slight start delay in the cranking. I'll plug in the heater if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 55
New 2024 ZR2 owner from Ontario Canada. Only a couple days of driving but I love this ride. It was the 3.0 diesel that sold me.

It's the Dark Ash Metallic however as my wife says - might as well call it black. Perhaps in bright sunlight it'll show some other hues.

Coming off a 2016 Colorado and really enjoying the bigger size of this ZR2. I had a 2012 Raptor which I bought new and this reminds of it, sizewise.

We just got a winter blast of snow and cold temps so I have noticed a slight start delay in the cranking. I'll plug in the heater if needed.
nice rig....welcome

Thanks I probably should have asked the dealer, and I didn't find anything in the manual - but do you know the break-in for this diesel 3.0? I've only got 100 miles on it and I'm just driving it easy but varying the RPM's a bit as well.........I'm assuming it's the same as any new engine?

Thanks I probably should have asked the dealer, and I didn't find anything in the manual - but do you know the break-in for this diesel 3.0? I've only got 100 miles on it and I'm just driving it easy but varying the RPM's a bit as well.........I'm assuming it's the same as any new engine?
drive it like you stole it. lol. you are doing it correctly.

drive it like you stole it. lol. you are doing it correctly.
I have always gone with the break it in like you will drive it. Never worried about babying it and have never had an issue. And unless your truck was ordered, the thing has been laid into on test drives before you buy it anyway.

90% of vehicles that are sold are more than likely "driven normally" and they do just fine and last a long time. So you should be good. I start getting on mine a little bit at about 300-500 miles in. They need some higher RPMs and heat cycles too, not just lugging it.

I recommend an early first oil change. There's plenty of wear in first 1000-1500 miles. I did my 1500 gasser 6.2L at 1500 and oil was silver color and filter had plenty of particles. I'm doing my 2500 Duramax at 1000 miles. The diesel oil is so full of soot, it's harder to see contamination, but I expect it'll be similar.

Last edited:
I did my first oil change at 1500 and my next at 6000. My next will be at 10,000 and then every 5K from there unless I get my 2025 ZR2 HD gasser ;)
👍👍 im cutting OEM intervals in half. no science behind it but for the minor cost it may keep the lifter/bearing time bomb at bay. i also asked mechanic to inspect old filter for metal shavings. so far so good.

👍👍 im cutting OEM intervals in half. no science behind it but for the minor cost it may keep the lifter/bearing time bomb at bay. i also asked mechanic to inspect old filter for metal shavings. so far so good.
Since mine is using about 1/2 quart per 2k, I'm going to do mine at 3333 miles so I don't have to add any. I can do mine for about $50, and it's only $150 a year. Once the crank bearing fails, it'll be someone else's to worry about.

Since mine is using about 1/2 quart per 2k, I'm going to do mine at 3333 miles so I don't have to add any. I can do mine for about $50, and it's only $150 a year. Once the crank bearing fails, it'll be someone else's to worry about.
good plan.

Reactions: AXE
Welcome to the forum!

I followed the break in called out in the manual in the "Starting and Operating" section under "New Vehicle Break-in" which is page 213 of the 24 manual, doing this neither my 21 or my 24 have had oil consumption issues yet, had 21500 on the 21 and have about 1800 on the 24. The procedure was essentially the same in the manuals for both years (RPM maximum difference for gas vs diesel), and I always add the additional steps of longer and longer heat cycles with complete engine cool down in between (helps to slowly relieve stresses in the metals from the manufasturing processes), as well as constantly varying throttle, so no cruise control, and keeping my speeds 65 or less for those first 500+ miles. This basic procedure has been around in the owners manuals of my new vehicles for 40+ years and it still works well today. IMHO/YMMV

1704605311983.png

1704605375291.png

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back