Hello from Massachusetts

welby55

Reaction score
Bought my zr2 back in August 2023. I really love the truck but I am coming to this forum because my truck broke down twice last week. It’s at the dealership with 22,000 miles and might need the engine replaced. I’m wondering if anyone else has had this happened and if so did they keep their truck afterwards?

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 43
Bought my zr2 back in August 2023. I really love the truck but I am coming to this forum because my truck broke down twice last week. It’s at the dealership with 22,000 miles and might need the engine replaced. I’m wondering if anyone else has had this happened and if so did they keep their truck afterwards?
Plenty of threads on this. Do a search. Some are resolved more easily than others. Some have waited months for a rebuild or new motor.

Like AXE said there are plenty of posts about these horrid stories. To answer your other question, Yes it happened to me at 11000 miles idling in drive way. They rebuilt my motor
Because during covid they couldn't get
New one. Replaced everything that was wear set. I might be forgetting few things but they are specced by factory
Lifters, push rods, seats, cam shaft, oil pump, exhaust gaskets, flushing, miscellaneous trinkets ets. In the end they retuned my motor with def more hp. I ran another 37,000 miles before I traded it in and tried to break it for 36000 miles, 😂. So yes they did good
Job fixing it plus compensated me several thousand and extended my warranty. If the fix is done right it is good thing because good engine guy going to check tolerances before new parts in not like factory qc. There where
3 issues in lifter failures. 1 percent due to something went wrong. AFM bad engineering and DFM bad supplier tolerances, which any machine shop when building racing or reconditioning
Motors find heads valves and seats new replacement parts 80 percent out of Tolerance to the motors spec charts. Hence having machine shop going through heads, lifters, seats, etc before components are actually assembled. Powell machine and Daves auto put out great videos about what it actually takes to do a motor right😀

Like AXE said there are plenty of posts about these horrid stories. To answer your other question, Yes it happened to me at 11000 miles idling in drive way. They rebuilt my motor
Because during covid they couldn't get
New one. Replaced everything that was wear set. I might be forgetting few things but they are specced by factory
Lifters, push rods, seats, cam shaft, oil pump, exhaust gaskets, flushing, miscellaneous trinkets ets. In the end they retuned my motor with def more hp. I ran another 37,000 miles before I traded it in and tried to break it for 36000 miles, 😂. So yes they did good
Job fixing it plus compensated me several thousand and extended my warranty. If the fix is done right it is good thing because good engine guy going to check tolerances before new parts in not like factory qc. There where
3 issues in lifter failures. 1 percent due to something went wrong. AFM bad engineering and DFM bad supplier tolerances, which any machine shop when building racing or reconditioning
Motors find heads valves and seats new replacement parts 80 percent out of Tolerance to the motors spec charts. Hence having machine shop going through heads, lifters, seats, etc before components are actually assembled. Powell machine and Daves auto put out great videos about what it actually takes to do a motor right😀
You hooked me on the part where you gat moar hursss pursss. I too would like moar hursss pursss, can you teach me how to idle?

The motor guy that did the tune for the dealer called it the you wont be disappointed with your rebuild tune. Guess he knew the quality of his work.
Excellent! I broke a gear in a Kawasaki quad once. They warrantied it, so I used the opportunity to port it and put in some performance cams. It worked really well and had a lot more power for no cost.

Plenty of threads on this. Do a search. Some are resolved more easily than others. Some have waited months for a rebuild or new motor.
Update: Dealership dropped oil pan and found metal. Ordered new engine today.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back