Hello from Wisconsin!

The new Colorado Bison is a beast… I love the update. My overall mission includes multiple 10-12 hour trips per year to deliver my kids to activities. They’re old enough now (high school) that the back seat of the Colorado is tight.

I’m in the market for a 1500 or 2500. My daily needs point to a 1500. But… I also haul logs with a trailer for 10-12 weekends per year… prepping for winter, which makes me wonder about the 2500… I also live on a gravel road that has zero plowing. In Northern Wisconsin… So ground clearance is important.

I love the performance and relative simplicity of the normally aspirated 6.2… but the 3.0 mileage is compelling. I’ve driven the 6.2 and was smitten by the performance. How is the daily performance of the 3.0 Duramax in comparison?

The 1500 drives like a dream on long trips. I did several 6 - 10 hour trips. You'll also get some great mileage with the 3.0 diesel. You gets some air bags and you can tow or load plenty of gear and wood. 1500 is way more fun to ride trails and offroad, as it's just easy to drive and suspension is perfect.

Haven't run my 2500HD much yet, but it rides great for a big ass truck. It tows much better for loads over 5k. If you like riding big, it's hard to beat this truck as it large and in charge.

Last edited:
Welcome to the ZR2Forum!
I run a 1500 with the 3 liter diesel, mileage is impressive, not as high as the un-lifted models with a front air dam, but I am averaging 25.1 and I do a lot of short tripping, but I drive gentle to get those kind of numbers, with a lead foot you will get a bit less. It is definitely a fun to drive truck and has plenty of grunt with gobs down low in the RPM band, passing won't be as fast as the 6.2 but if the throttle is moderated it can get up and go pretty good. IMHO/YMMV

Welcome!

By what you described your needs are, the 1500 Zr2 6.2 is what suits your needs.

The white ones are known to be moar fastest and the sand color ones look like a loaf of bread (word on the street)

Last edited:
Welcome!

By what you described your needs are, the 1500 Zr2 6.2 is what suits your needs.

The white ones are known to be moar fastest and the sand color ones look like a loaf of bread (word on the street)
🤣🤣🤣

I just turned 50k miles on my '23 6.2L 1500(drive 50-70k annually). This thing is all 95% of people really need. Unless you're hauling very heavy loads of logs then the 1500 covers most bases and it's going to be a darling on the highway. The DSSV's are the best riding truck I have ever had and is more manageable in/out, as well as for tighter driveways/trails than the 2500. I also like the true locking front on the 1500. I'm in WI and on hunting land with terrain it's nice to have all ability. If you need the towing, then it's a no-brainer as you're getting beefier stopping power as well with the 2500.

The 3.0 vs. 6.2 is a personal one. Power isn't a problem with either; it's a matter of application. The 3.0 will get you more FE and longer per tank travel, but the 6.2 is a monster and the sound(especially with the GM-Borla or Sport Mode setups) definitely win on sound.

Yeah... I'm thinking that the 1500 is the right choice for my needs now. The 2500's are bonkers trucks in a good way, but frankly overkill for 90% of what I do. TBH, I feel like I win with either engine. For very different reasons, of course. Both will do what I need to do. I'll find a diesel to test drive... but I feel like I'll be very happy with either option. Thanks.

I like the sound of a good V8 no doubt, but to say the sound of the diesel is inferior is wrong in my book, they are different that's for sure, but each has it's own song to sing, most truck people appreciate the sound of a good diesel. IMHO/YMMV
I can barely hear my 2500HD Duramax running. Somebody asked me "is that a diesel". That how I like it towing down the road 500 miles.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back