How to Turn off the Trucks WiFi?

twiget

Reaction score
I don't use the trucks wifi for anything and I don't trust that GM has adequately secured it against being hacked. I have changed the password and done all the things I can do, but it seems like an unnecessary risk. I found a post in a C8 forum that said there is a setting in the MyChevrolet app that will turn the WiFi off, but I can't find it. Is it possible to completely turn off the WiFi?

I don't use the trucks wifi for anything and I don't trust that GM has adequately secured it against being hacked. I have changed the password and done all the things I can do, but it seems like an unnecessary risk. I found a post in a C8 forum that said there is a setting in the MyChevrolet app that will turn the WiFi off, but I can't find it. Is it possible to completely turn off the WiFi?
Did you go into the settings on your 13" screen?

Yes. The only options I have are to change the SSID and password. There is no option to turn the WiFi off.

Wireless car play and android auto connect over Bluetooth and WIFI. So I would imagine if you disabled the WIFI you would lose those features. Honestly though, If you don't actually use the WIFI for anything, I don't really see the risk. It's not like the movies. A hacker can't jump on your WIFI and take over the controls. At least not yet lol. Maybe a few years down the road when they are level 5 autonomous driving and they are all networked into a grid. Than we might have to worry about an ex-wife hiring a 15 year old hacker to drive us off of a cliff or into a wall.. I think for now though Your good.

Lets just assume that I have my reasons to want the WiFi turned off. I paid Chevy a lot of money for this truck and IMO, I should be able to turn non-essential systems on and off as I want. Heck, I can turn off almost all the safety nannies and the worst I get is a 3 second notification on the DIC that this, that or the other is turned off, but WiFi is permanently on?

Lets just assume that I have my reasons to want the WiFi turned off. I paid Chevy a lot of money for this truck and IMO, I should be able to turn non-essential systems on and off as I want. Heck, I can turn off almost all the safety nannies and the worst I get is a 3 second notification on the DIC that this, that or the other is turned off, but WiFi is permanently on?
Well to be fair you can't really turn google, onstar or DFM off either. There is even a post floating around here how to physically disable onstar which will also cause certain features in the truck to not work. If I had to guess that would probably also kill the hotspot since that's part of onstar. In the hotspot setting you can check a box that will stop other devices from connecting to the wifi hotspot. But I'm guessing the truck still uses the connection for OTA updates and what not. Which is probably why there is no option to turn it off.

I mean I 100 percent get the reasoning, But at the same time. I sort of think buying a truck like this is kind of point less if you have those type of concerns. Buy a basic vehicle with out all the connected services, push button start, ect. Buying anything with google and onstar in it doesn't really make sense. Same goes with smart phones. I have a buddy who works in cyber security. His phone actually got hacked while sitting at a bar with his phone in front of him on the bar.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back