Installed MBRP Exhaust and Don't Like It

Agadawg1717

Reaction score
I had the MBRP cat back kit installed on my truck last Friday. I did a good bit of research and listening to sound clips before ordering. I'm was aware of the EFM issues with sound so I can't complain about that. This system was marketed to be a mild sound and very little cab noIse. I was looking for something that you could hear slightly at idle and definitely hear when you put the peddle to the floor. This kit has an extremely loud cold start that I do t love and neither will my neighbors. It can also be heard in the background when I'm taking calls for work. The system sounds good. It's just much louder than I was expecting. Any suggestions on other mufflers or systems that will run quieter? I left my factory exhaust at the muffler shop and they scraped it. I'm looking to get a less aversive sound or just go back to g factory sound. Can I install a more factory muffler with the aftermarket kit? Looking forward to any suggestions. Posted a clip for sound on cold start and with throttle on.

Last edited:
I think you would be very happy with the Borla Touring cat back system. The cold start is tame compared to others and has a nice growel when you get on it. All this with zero drone.
Here are 2 videos of it on my 21 6.2 trail boss.

I like everything about the GM performance exhaust (Borla) except the cold start which is very loud.

I'd agree. After watching the video above I'd say the Borla and MRBP I have are pretty close.

I'm also wondering if mine is a little louder because the pipes go straight down on the ZR 2 and not straight out the back. I'm probably getting a little more cab noise since my tips don't extend out the back.

I had the MBRP cat back kit installed on my truck last Friday. I did a good bit of research and listening to sound clips before ordering. I'm was aware of the EFM issues with sound so I can't complain about that. This system was marketed to be a mild sound and very little cab noIse. I was looking for something that you could hear slightly at idle and definitely hear when you put the peddle to the floor. This kit has an extremely loud cold start that I do t love and neither will my neighbors. It can also be heard in the background when I'm taking calls for work. The system sounds good. It's just much louder than I was expecting. Any suggestions on other mufflers or systems that will run quieter? I left my factory exhaust at the muffler shop and they scraped it. I'm looking to get a less aversive sound or just go back to g factory sound. Can I install a more factory muffler with the aftermarket kit? Looking forward to any suggestions. Posted a clip for sound on cold start and with throttle on.

Which MBRP kit (part number) did you order? I am looking into one currently but it seems all of their 6.2L kits drop the pipe size down to 3" from the Y to the muffler, so its decreasing the pipe size from stock causing a stronger exhaust flow through the piping also creating louder sound. Might be why its louder than expected for a touring profile.

I think you might should have kept the stock muffler. Maybe you can find a take off that someone doesn't want. It's a 6.2 v8. Pretty much anything aftermarket is going to be a little loud on cold starts. Also when on the throttle you will hear it in the cab some. Especially with the windows down. That's sort of the point in changing the exhaust.

Which MBRP kit (part number) did you order? I am looking into one currently but it seems all of their 6.2L kits drop the pipe size down to 3" from the Y to the muffler, so its decreasing the pipe size from stock causing a stronger exhaust flow through the piping also creating louder sound. Might be why its louder than expected for a touring profile.
That is correct. I believe there were only 2 packages available. A stainless and non stainless. I went with the non stainless.

Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow is the best muffler I've found for a better sound while not being too loud inside while cruising. There's just not much out there that will be quiet while cruising while increasing the sound over the stock muffler when you want it.

I have a spintech truck muffler on mine. Sounds great, enough to here it when idle and cruising. Sounds even better wide open throttle. Spin techs are by far my favorite sounding mufflers… true duals with spin techs is money. Seen a camaro and corvette with them, and nothing compares

Most Member Reactions

Back