Installing a Cold Air system and throwing codes ?

SeaHunt

Reaction score
I want to install a cold air intake system by K&N with the dry washable filter or any other brand for that matter. Has any of you guys installed a cold air intake system to your trucks ? Will doing this throw any kind of code or codes ? Also, what about the air filter monitor system ? Can this be disable since the after market filter will be different and the system is calibrated for an OEM Filter. I want to do this mod mostly to clean up the area around the engine and also get a little better performance at the same time. Thanks guys !!!

I want to install a cold air intake system by K&N with the dry washable filter or any other brand for that matter. Has any of you guys installed a cold air intake system to your trucks ? Will doing this throw any kind of code or codes ? Also, what about the air filter monitor system ? Can this be disable since the after market filter will be different and the system is calibrated for an OEM Filter. I want to do this mod mostly to clean up the area around the engine and also get a little better performance at the same time. Thanks guys !!!
Don't do it. Total waste of money. Marketing hype at its best. It will do NOTHING for your ZR2.

Last edited:
A dry filter is less likely to “throw codes” in my experience, typically the oil filters tend to trigger mass airflow sensor codes. I can’t speak to the air filter monitoring system, no insight into how that’s being calculated…some others on the forum may actually know for sure, and others will have opinions.

In terms of it being your truck and money, do as you will. Any performance gains are negligible most likely for most aftermarket CAI’s. The search bar on the forum is your friend, there are quite a few threads with all sorts of options and opinions…keep in mind, opinions are given for free, consider their value with your money. Pay attention to factual data and make your own decisions accordingly.

A dry filter is less likely to “throw codes” in my experience, typically the oil filters tend to trigger mass airflow sensor codes. I can’t speak to the air filter monitoring system, no insight into how that’s being calculated…some others on the forum may actually know for sure, and others will have opinions.

In terms of it being your truck and money, do as you will. Any performance gains are negligible most likely for most aftermarket CAI’s. The search bar on the forum is your friend, there are quite a few threads with all sorts of options and opinions…keep in mind, opinions are given for free, consider their value with your money. Pay attention to factual data and make your own decisions accordingly.
Correct! I have been running AEM dry flow filters for many years now. I wasn't worried about flow rates as much as being able to clean the filter every 5K to keep it running optimally.

To clean, I blow it out with light air, rinse with warm water, then soak it in the sink for an hour with a little warm water and dish soap, then rinse good, then let it dry a couple hours. You can put it back in a little damp, just not wet as it takes a while to drain excess water as it holds alot.

You wouldn't believe the amount of dirt and particles that come out of that thing. It works really well, especially in the dry dusty West!

I haven't installed this yet, but will at 5k. May want to verify fitment first.

https://www.aemintakes.com/chevrolet/silverado-1500/6.2l-v8-gas/2022/

Don't do it. Total waste of money. Marketing hype at its best. It will do NOTHING for your ZR2.
Thank you very much for the advise. The more I read about CAI systems the more it looks like it's snake oil. Most of the folks do it just to clean up the engine compartment area a bit and perhaps for the sound the rushing air makes. Outside of that, most folks haven't really notice any improvement in MPG department. I'm sticking with the stock setup.

Thank you for you input. After doing some extensive research, The majority of the folks modifying the CAI's are doing it for looks, cleaning up the engine compartment a bit and the sound. 95% of the people said no noticeable improvement in MPG over the stock setup. I think I'll save my 300 to 500 dollars and put it towards new wheels or tires down the road.

Thank you for you input. After doing some extensive research, The majority of the folks modifying the CAI's are doing it for looks, cleaning up the engine compartment a bit and the sound. 95% of the people said no noticeable improvement in MPG over the stock setup. I think I'll save my 300 to 500 dollars and put it towards new wheels or tires down the road.
You're a smart man my friend!

I ran an S&B CAI on my GMC AT for 140,000 miles. No codes. I’ve now installed an S&B on my ZR2. Yes, you can turn off the filter maintenance. Some of it’s just for looks but there’s also nothing wrong with letting the engine breathe a little bit. I couldn’t tell you if my fuel mileage improved…I dont even look. If you’re worried about fuel mileage, you bought the wrong truck.
IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5520.jpeg

I ran an S&B CAI on my GMC AT for 140,000 miles. No codes. I’ve now installed an S&B on my ZR2. Yes, you can turn off the filter maintenance. Some of it’s just for looks but there’s also nothing wrong with letting the engine breathe a little bit. I couldn’t tell you if my fuel mileage improved…I dont even look. If you’re worried about fuel mileage, you bought the wrong truck.
View attachment 6583
View attachment 6584
it looks nice. im with you on mileage....

View attachment 6583
View attachment 6584
Very nice looking CAI setup. You are correct, it would be nice to get a little improvement in MPG but I really don't worry about it, it is what it is. You'll never see me buying an EV. I sold a 2017 High Country with a 6.2l to get this ZR2 so I'm use to poor gas mileage and paying close to 80.00 dollars to fill my tank with premium fuel. I might go with an Airaid Jr with their dry filter and keep my stock filter box. I have a 100.00 dollar store credit with Auto Zone so the whole kit would cost me an extra 100 bucks out of my pocket with the store credit. They have them on sale for 199.99

View attachment 6583
View attachment 6584
I’ve got S&Bs w/ dry filters on both my 06 and 16 and had zero problems over the years. I like the overall look in engine bay, easy install, easy filter swaps, etc. Your setup looks pretty slick. Like I eluded earlier, to each his own with their money, get a CAI if that’s what you want for various reasons. We can debate whether it adds HP or increases MPG or airflow or gets the girls or feeds the cows until the cows come home 😅

We can debate whether it adds HP or increases MPG or airflow or gets the girls or feeds the cows until the cows come home 😅
No debate on getting the girls my friend. That is a definite. I get propositioned all of the time by various girls. The downside is that they all tell me it will cost between $20 - $200 :unsure:

From personal experience, I'd be surprised if a CAI and exhaust didn't add incremental HP, assuming you increased air flow and your tuning can accommodate it. The motor is basically an air pump, the more it moves the more it makes to a point of diminished returns. Nowadays, a tuner can oftentimes get you more power than increased air flow, because they are detuned from factory. If it's only a few HP, you may not notice it on a higher HP rig that is also heavy like the ZR2.

No debate on getting the girls my friend. That is a definite. I get propositioned all of the time by various girls. The downside is that they all tell me it will cost between $20 - $200 :unsure:
Seems like a good deal......probably voids your warranty!

Last edited:
I’ve got S&Bs w/ dry filters on both my 06 and 16 and had zero problems over the years. I like the overall look in engine bay, easy install, easy filter swaps, etc. Your setup looks pretty slick. Like I eluded earlier, to each his own with their money, get a CAI if that’s what you want for various reasons. We can debate whether it adds HP or increases MPG or airflow or gets the girls or feeds the cows until the cows come home 😅
Agreed. Different strokes for different folks. My ZR2 had 8500 miles on it when I bought it. Previous owner installed this $1100.00 Go Rhino bed rack I pulled off the first week I had the truck. The CAI is just a part of my build list. 👍

I agree 👍. I am not sure, by just changing the air filter system, what practical and truly differentiable value it will add to the vehicle other than the theoretical advantages. So, I would not change it and also not suggest it.

I would say, save money for something that will add additional value for your vehicle 🚜.

Last edited:
I agree 👍. I am not sure, by just changing the air filter system, what practical and truly differentiable value it will add to the vehicle other than the theoretical advantages. So, I would not change it and also not suggest it.

I would say, save money for something that will add additional value for your vehicle 🚜.
i bet sucking more air in sounds better.

At my age I'll take the 20.00 dollar one. I just hope it not like that Aerosmith song, "dude looks like a lady"

Has anyone tried the Volant CAI?
They are all about the same actually if you get a closed box unit. Stay away from the K&N, and all other "open" units that seal against the hood...bad news! I am just not a fan of oiled filters. In my younger, and niave days, I was all about CAIs on my trucks. I then learned that, without a tune, they are really worthless. They make more noise and look nice under the hood, but that's where it all ends. The computer ECU programming is controlling the engine and will, regardless of what you do, will still keep the truck to the parameters it was programmed for. The air box in these trucks is actually very good. Look into the Airaid Jr. kit and install a dry filter. I went that route to clean up the engine bay and installed an AFE filter and I am very happy with it. If you are hell bent on buying a CAI, Volant is a top notch unit. S&B is a nice unit too.

Most Member Reactions

Back