It happened today! *&%^&*$ Tailgate and handle assembly screwed up!

Bison 650

Reaction score
I have read about the problem, but totally forgot about when I cleaned mud out of my bed today. I opened both tailgates to step into the bed. I heard a crunching sound and knew exactly what happened. I know this has happened to others, but could not find anything here. Will insurance cover this? Anyone order the upper door skin on the tailgate?

Attachments

• IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8515.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8514.JPG
    IMG_8514.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 164
That dent is fixable. There’s no skin to buy for any tailgate.

Handle looks fine. You’re buying a badge, possibly a top “spoiler” (plastic trim) labor to repair and refinish the upper gate.

Less than a grand from any good shop. It’s not worth the hit on the truck and your insurance to save 500 bucks.

I made it a year on my 1500 so far, but only 2 months on my 2500HD. Never had set the lockout on 2500HD, but always had it on the 1500.

I basically set mine down on the hitch, so barely a nick in the paint and a slight dimple. The Bison package wrap probably saved it.

There is a company that sells a lockout devise and it works by using a signal from a reciever pin to connect to the tailgate locking device. Won't allow you to drop it with the reciever pin installed. If tried every day, I'd probably get one.

I would like to see an aftermarket solution that allows you to cut that section out and replace it with a carbon fiber recess. It would look classy and prevent damage.

Last edited:
I'd take it to a paintless dent repair shop and have them fix it as good as they can. Then either rewrap it or put some Linex across the top to match tailgate cover. You know it's coming again.

I removed my Chevrolet emblem and the wrap. There is no wrap underneath bowtie, it's cut out so emblem can adhere to paint.

Attachments

• 20231124_151155.jpg
    20231124_151155.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20231231_190558.jpg
    20231231_190558.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 74
There is a company that sells a lockout devise and it works by using a signal from a reciever pin to connect to the tailgate locking device. Won't allow you to drop it with the reciever pin installed. If tried every day, I'd probably get one.
Yeah, it is the Curt, I have one I got for my 21 RST but never installed it, still brand new in the box.

1708657470748.png

I was referring to this one from TailgateFix. Same priciple, different design. Manual or autolock options.

I was referring to this one from TailgateFix. Same priciple, different design. Manual or autolock options.

That is cool AXE, I hadn't seen those, And a lot less expensive too!

There’s an inner tailgate software lockout? Where do you find that?
Yes, AXE is correct, but my 21 RST didn't do it and I never checked to see if it was an update to the BCM or something that might add it, so I'm not sure all trucks will/can do it, but I checked my new truck and it works fine, press and hold the top button while closed until tail lights flash to lock it and repeat procedure again to unlock it. If the inner tailgate doesn't support it the top button will just unlock the inner gate with a constant press just like it does with a momentary press, but like I said there could be an update that adds it since it simply has to be a software only change.

When tailgate is fully closed, push the top button for 5 seconds until taillights flash. Then it should be locked when you push it and release it. Taillights will flash, but tailgate won't open. Reverse to unlock it.
Awesome, I’m going to try it out today, thanks! 🙏

Well the mid-gate lockout works like a charm! I have to remove my hitch to fit the truck in my garage, so the only time I have it installed is when I’m towing. I think I’ll leave it in locked out mode until I need the mid-gate down. Thanks again Axe! 👍

Most Member Reactions

Back