Lack of offroad parts

Nmass94

Reaction score
Hi All

My first post here.
Recently picked up a 24 zr2 1500 with the babymax diesel.
First Chevy, First diesel.
Last GM product I was in was my first car- an 08 Calais V (when I lived in australia).
Absolutely loving the new truck.
Truly a pleasure to drive.

Hate to start on a sour note,
But I am abit disappointed in the lack of proper off-roading supporting mods for these trucks, and a little disappointed with GM.
The ZR2 as you're all probably well aware comes with some skid plates.
They're not incredible, but they're not terrible as stock plates go.
My big issue is they don't cover the transmission- which I can't wrap my head around.
Ford does the same thing on their offroad trucks.

Makes -0 sense to me, as it's a massive, fragile point of contact that could get smashed offroading.

My second whinge- the lack of true offroad mods is ridiculous.
I've been scouring the internet for a month now trying to find bolt on rock sliders and a trans skid and have come up with nada.

There's 3 companies making sliders.
White knuckle- which it seems wont fit a diesel. Their design otherwise is perfect. Their price point.... not so much.
Rocky Road Outfitters- which mount to the side of the frame with self tapping bolts, which is in my opinion a real bad way to mount sliders on a modern thin metal chassis
Ironman 4x4- purchased these, and the right hand slider didn't bolt up correctly as it (and all their sliders in stock) were manufactured incorrectly.

As for Skid plates plates- There seems to be 2 companies making them, but nothing for the ZR2.
Though talons garage in texas is in their trial phase (have been talking to the fella for over a month waiting for his tester to come get the prototype test fit.

The 3rd, though not really an offroad mod- is some sort of bracket to mount spotlights to the front bumper. There's nothing for 19+ silverados at all.

I'm not opposed to going the custom fabbed stuff- but it gets really pricey really quick.

I was hoping to keep my initial mods below 3k.

I guess my post is to ask- what are your thoughts on the above? Am I being a princess to expect this sort of stuff on a truck that's been around for nearly 5 years, or are these valid annoyances?

Another question- does anyone one here know of anything in the pipeline for bolt on sliders or skids for the diesel?
I've heard mutterings that CBI is looking into sliders shortly, and I've offered my services for testing as they're semi close to me 5 hours north).

Look forward to the discussion on this.
Cheers,

Hi All

My first post here.
Recently picked up a 24 zr2 1500 with the babymax diesel.
First Chevy, First diesel.
Last GM product I was in was my first car- an 08 Calais V (when I lived in australia).
Absolutely loving the new truck.
Truly a pleasure to drive.

Hate to start on a sour note,
But I am abit disappointed in the lack of proper off-roading supporting mods for these trucks, and a little disappointed with GM.
The ZR2 as you're all probably well aware comes with some skid plates.
They're not incredible, but they're not terrible as stock plates go.
My big issue is they don't cover the transmission- which I can't wrap my head around.
Ford does the same thing on their offroad trucks.

Makes -0 sense to me, as it's a massive, fragile point of contact that could get smashed offroading.

My second whinge- the lack of true offroad mods is ridiculous.
I've been scouring the internet for a month now trying to find bolt on rock sliders and a trans skid and have come up with nada.

There's 3 companies making sliders.
White knuckle- which it seems wont fit a diesel. Their design otherwise is perfect. Their price point.... not so much.
Rocky Road Outfitters- which mount to the side of the frame with self tapping bolts, which is in my opinion a real bad way to mount sliders on a modern thin metal chassis
Ironman 4x4- purchased these, and the right hand slider didn't bolt up correctly as it (and all their sliders in stock) were manufactured incorrectly.

As for Skid plates plates- There seems to be 2 companies making them, but nothing for the ZR2.
Though talons garage in texas is in their trial phase (have been talking to the fella for over a month waiting for his tester to come get the prototype test fit.

The 3rd, though not really an offroad mod- is some sort of bracket to mount spotlights to the front bumper. There's nothing for 19+ silverados at all.

I'm not opposed to going the custom fabbed stuff- but it gets really pricey really quick.

I was hoping to keep my initial mods below 3k.

I guess my post is to ask- what are your thoughts on the above? Am I being a princess to expect this sort of stuff on a truck that's been around for nearly 5 years, or are these valid annoyances?

Another question- does anyone one here know of anything in the pipeline for bolt on sliders or skids for the diesel?
I've heard mutterings that CBI is looking into sliders shortly, and I've offered my services for testing as they're semi close to me 5 hours north).

Look forward to the discussion on this.
Cheers,
Talons Garage. i read something few months back. $$$$

Talons Garage. i read something few months back. $$$$
Yeah Talons is who I've been in contact with.
They don't have anything that'll fit the diesel unfortunately. They have a prototype, but they have yet to test fit it (been a couple of weeks now). Told em I'll buy em as soon as they're confirmed to fit.
Dollars ain't a concern- alot better than damaging the driveline in the middle of nowhere offroading.

AEV does the Bison Edition that has more skid plate coverage. Maybe they’d sell those parts to you.

AEV does the Bison Edition that has more skid plate coverage. Maybe they’d sell those parts to you.
Their skid plates are great quality- Unfortunately even the bison doesn't have a trans skid :/

The 3.0L diesel is a low volume truck, so the aftermarket may not support it very well.

Also maybe cross reference parts for the TrailBoss and regula 1500s. As far as I know the chassis is the same. Not sure what is different about the diesel buy maybe the motor and tranny mounts are different.

As far as skids go, there are very hard polyethylene sheets that are adequate for underbody protection. Many UTV companies offer them for skids and a-arms. I have them on my UTV and they are durable and offer a lot of protection. I wonder if someone sells the raw sheets and you could cut them to spec. My UTV skids bolted up easily to existing fastener bolt holes.

Last edited:
I was actually looking at the skid plates from Talon just the other day. I don't see why a transmission skid plate for the 6.2 wouldn't fit the 3.0 diesel unless the exhaust on the diesel hangs down a lot further than the gas truck.

Agree. Not just skid plates but particularly aux lighting mounts for front bumper.

I’d also like to see a rear bumper light mount for aux reverse lighting.

Short of drilling holes in the steel, I haven’t found a bolt on mount for aux fogs/driving lights. Even the A-pillar light mounts that are out there require unbolting the hood hinge which introduces the risk of panel alignment issues.

Agree. Not just skid plates but particularly aux lighting mounts for front bumper.

I’d also like to see a rear bumper light mount for aux reverse lighting.

Short of drilling holes in the steel, I haven’t found a bolt on mount for aux fogs/driving lights. Even the A-pillar light mounts that are out there require unbolting the hood hinge which introduces the risk of panel alignment issues.
This is actually a huge issue I'm facing at the moment too-
I have 4 spot lights I want to mount but can't work out how.
They're too deep to mount to the top of the bumper even if I wanted too.

I'm looking at multiple options.
I already made a magnetic bracket- but even with 6x 65lb magnets it wasn't strong enough.
One option is designing a bracket that comes over the top of the bumper and down abit.
Would require removing the grill to install.
If I make one I'll be sure to put up my design on this forum.

I have a garmin powerswitch and the lights ready to go.
Was not an issue I anticipate when I bought the truck.
Wouldn't of been a deal breaker, but still a problem.

I was actually looking at the skid plates from Talon just the other day. I don't see why a transmission skid plate for the 6.2 wouldn't fit the 3.0 diesel unless the exhaust on the diesel hangs down a lot further than the gas truck.
According to talon it's to do with the dpf, exhaust and some of the filters that sit up there.
If they ever get their prototype test fit I'll be sure to buy it and let every one know.

There's also a company callled pinnacle offroad that has a product already. They're out of office until early march, but I'll be harassing em as soon as they're back. I unfortunately missed an email from them in january saying they had an option.

The 3.0L diesel is a low volume truck, so the aftermarket may not support it very well.

Also maybe cross reference parts for the TrailBoss and regula 1500s. As far as I know the chassis is the same. Not sure what is different about the diesel buy maybe the motor and tranny mounts are different.

As far as skids go, there are very hard plastic sheets that are adequate for underbody protection. Many UTV companies offer them for skids and a-arms. I have them on my UTV and they are durable and offer a lot of protection. I wonder if someone sells the raw sheets and you could cut them to spec. My UTV skids bolted up easily to existing fastener bolt holes.
I wheel pretty hard and am not willing to go plastic.
I think it's fine on UTVs, but for a fullsize truck I'm weary, especially in super cold conditions.
Not opposed to custom fabrication if nothing pans out soon, just something I like to avoid.
I live in a remote area- So any custom fabrication requires me to either drive to Salt Lake City, Reno, Boise or Vegas (3.5 to 5 hours) then book accommodation for x days whilst it gets worked on.

This is actually a huge issue I'm facing at the moment too-
I have 4 spot lights I want to mount but can't work out how.
They're too deep to mount to the top of the bumper even if I wanted too.

I'm looking at multiple options.
I already made a magnetic bracket- but even with 6x 65lb magnets it wasn't strong enough.
One option is designing a bracket that comes over the top of the bumper and down abit.
Would require removing the grill to install.
If I make one I'll be sure to put up my design on this forum.

I have a garmin powerswitch and the lights ready to go.
Was not an issue I anticipate when I bought the truck.
Wouldn't of been a deal breaker, but still a problem.
Dirt King made a tube that bolts to the bumper and the lights mouth to it but they don't have it listed on their website.

Dirt King made a tube that bolts to the bumper and the lights mouth to it but they don't have it listed on their website.
That's really clean-Unfortunately I think it'd be too tight to the grill to suit my purpose unfortunately

Plus, the modded the factory bumper if I recall from their video I saw. But that is the look/function I’m trying to achieve. 2-4 6” KC Gravity Pro 6 lights on top of the bumper.

Yeah Talons is who I've been in contact with.
They don't have anything that'll fit the diesel unfortunately. They have a prototype, but they have yet to test fit it (been a couple of weeks now). Told em I'll buy em as soon as they're confirmed to fit.
Dollars ain't a concern- alot better than damaging the driveline in the middle of nowhere offroading.
imo, tell them you will be ginea pig. send you the protos for a discoynt and you can yeah or nay for the forum.

imo, tell them you will be ginea pig. send you the protos for a discoynt and you can yeah or nay for the forum.
They already have a Guinea pig, they just can't find him lol.
Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side of the country too.

I wheel pretty hard and am not willing to go plastic.
I think it's fine on UTVs, but for a fullsize truck I'm weary, especially in super cold conditions.
Not opposed to custom fabrication if nothing pans out soon, just something I like to avoid.
I live in a remote area- So any custom fabrication requires me to either drive to Salt Lake City, Reno, Boise or Vegas (3.5 to 5 hours) then book accommodation for x days whilst it gets worked on.
It's not plastic, it's UHMW and it's more durable and forgiving than steel.

But there's lots of plastic on your rig. Go tap on the rear quarter panels and watch the ripple. I wouldn't look too hard at it or you might get scared and trade it for a Jeep.

These aren't offroad trucks for "wheeling pretty hard".

Last edited:
It's not plastic, it's UHMW and it's more durable and forgiving than steel.

But there's lots of plastic on your rig. Go tap on the rear quarter panels and watch the ripple. I wouldn't look too hard at it or you might get scared and trade it for a Jeep.

These aren't offroad trucks for "wheeling pretty hard".
UHMW is a type of plastic.
After doing some research my concerns about brittleness were unfounded.

Regardless- if I was to use UHMW the total for just the transmission would be around 500 for just materials before shipping- which I'd then have to fab alot of stuff for as you cant easily bend or form it when it's thick enough to support truck weight scale impacts.
I'd also be a little concerned about potential overheating - it's thermal conductivity is ~1/100 that of steel and ~1/580 of aluminum.

Gonna have to disagree with you there regarding the hard wheeling- as fullsize trucks go these are in the top 3 on the market for wheeling hard in terms of design.
I wheel the shit out of my 2019 f150 and never broke a thing, and it was significantly less equipped for the abuse.
I personally don't understand the appeal of a ZR2 or AT4X other than aesthetic if not for the offroad centric features.

Regardless- I appreciate your input on the topic- any conversation is welcome.
I'm going to look into UHMW for a fuel tank skid I think.

Reactions: AXE
The Bison skids provide pretty good coverage, except nothing for the tank and rear differential. The front of the transmission plate should have been 2 to 3 inches longer.

These are 3/8 inch thick and would give good protection for routine off roading, but it won't support the weight of a vehicle, especially on a 2500HD that weighs 8500 lbs. They span too far and would crush right up into the pans. Also with the amount of cut outs, I think they would tend to drag and get hung up a lot.

The Bison skid are the nicest thing about that package, then the bumper that give you places to mount lights. Not sure you can get a set of skids, but I would guess they would run $3k and bumpers $4k.

That's where the Jeep market is so we'll served. You have an infinite number of parts and they really improve offroad capabilities. I was hunting a few weeks back and driving my sxs on a rough desert trail. I came upon two decked out Gladiator Rubicons running lifts and 38s. Probably $100k in them. I was surprised how far back on this trail they were. No way a ZR2 would have crossed those steep drainages. That's why I say the ZR2 isn't a hard core off roader, it a nice hust trail trail rig with plenty of capabilities.

Attachments

• 20231108_160441.jpg
    20231108_160441.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231108_160510.jpg
    20231108_160510.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 14
The Bison skids provide pretty good coverage, except nothing for the tank and rear differential. The front of the transmission plate should have been 2 to 3 inches longer.

These are 3/8 inch thick and would give good protection for routine off roading, but it won't support the weight of a vehicle, especially on a 2500HD that weighs 8500 lbs. They span too far and would crush right up into the pans. Also with the amount of cut outs, I think they would tend to drag and get hung up a lot.

The Bison skid are the nicest thing about that package, then the bumper that give you places to mount lights. Not sure you can get a set of skids, but I would guess they would run $3k and bumpers $4k.

That's where the Jeep market is so we'll served. You have an infinite number of parts and they really improve offroad capabilities. I was hunting a few weeks back and driving my sxs on a rough desert trail. I came upon two decked out Gladiator Rubicons running lifts and 38s. Probably $100k in them. I was surprised how far back on this trail they were. No way a ZR2 would have crossed those steep drainages. That's why I say the ZR2 isn't a hard core off roader, it a nice hust trail trail rig with plenty of capabilities.
Are those photos from a 2500 or 1500? It looks like it has torsion bars- 2500. As far as I'm aware the 1500 zr2 bison doesn't get a trans skid either. I'm hoping I'm wrong, because that'd make life alot easier

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back