Lifters

bgreen19

Founding Member
Reaction score
Is anyone worried about the lifters on these trucks? I've never had a Chevy before but I hear this is one of the main problems. Any thing else I should be looking out for?

Are you talking about lift kits?
Ok, now I know what you talking about:

The problem: affected vehicles may have or may be prone to experiencing a broken valve lifter lock pin spring. This problem only affects vehicles equipped with the naturally aspirated 5.3L L84 V8 or 6.2L L87 V8 gasoline engines.

The hazards: this problem does not pose a safety hazard, however a broken valve lifter long spring can lead to various engine problems. As we reported in a previous article that addressed these widespread GM V8 engine valve lifter issues, affected vehicles may produce a service engine light, along with a misfire, peculiar engine noise and engine damage.

The fix: dealership technicians are instructed to replace both banks of cylinders in affected vehicles. These repairs must be performed upon arrival at the dealership and before the vehicles are sold to customers.
Affected vehicles:

Affected components: valve lifter, valve lifter lock pin spring.

Number of affected vehicles: it’s currently not clear how many vehicles were delivered to dealers in need of a valve lifter repair.

Seems GM is already addressing the issue, I do not think they will bring this same problem in the trucks that are not even in production yet.

Last edited:
From what I've read and seen about the issue when it does appear it is on vehicles that have one of the fuel management systems operating. I am no technician but disabling AFM or DFM might be one thing that can make it less likely you'll get the lifter issues.

Whether I go with the Trail Boss or ZR2 I intend to disable DFM. I want my V8 to be a V8... not a V4 or V6 with cylinder deactivation at various times.

From what I've read and seen about the issue when it does appear it is on vehicles that have one of the fuel management systems operating. I am no technician but disabling AFM or DFM might be one thing that can make it less likely you'll get the lifter issues.

Whether I go with the Trail Boss or ZR2 I intend to disable DFM. I want my V8 to be a V8... not a V4 or V6 with cylinder deactivation at various times.
Check out the Pulsar LT video on you tube by the LONESTAR HAWIIAN

The DFM doesn't bother me as much as the AFM, so I just did the auto start eliminator on my last truck. Worth every penny of the $99.

I will disable both, I hope pulsar certificate it for the new 2022 any time soon.

Most Member Reactions

Back