Looking at the ZR2 and AT4X…

Diablo169

Reaction score
I’m looking at these trucks pretty hard right now. My first truck was a 2000 Z71 1500 with a 5.3, and that truck was a chica magnet, and was always solid for me. From there I went to a 05’ Cummins, and was flawless for 15 years till I sold it in 2021. During that time I purchased a custom ordered 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually fully loaded as my dream tow rig.

The 18’ is absolutely phenomenal, for everything. However, reliability has not been there. I only have 14k miles on it, and I had a complete ABS Hydraulic Control Module failure that luckily I purchased an extended warranty to deal with the BS.

That being said the fact that I obviously don’t use the truck very much, and I never purchased the 45’ Momentum Toyhauler, I’m left with some thoughts. I don’t really need a Dually right now, but I still have my Jeep, Travel Trailer, and RZR to tow, and I’m always offroad towing or in the sand etc.

This last week I rented a 2024 2500HD DMax to tow my Juggy, and it was awesome. I couldn’t get my girlfriend out of the drivers seat.

It was a pretty basic LT and I was actually pretty happy with the bare bones of it. I priced it out and it was 67k. I like the options of the ZR2, but is it worth the 15-20k more. Maybe I’m on the wrong forum for asking lol 😂

Side note, sinking 47” tires on the Rubicon left for a long day lol

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

I’ll add I was absolutely impressed with the power of the 2024’s. I was cruising up Altimont Pass at 85 with my 10k load in 9th. My trailer is a heavy custom equipment trailer I got for a steal, but it’s way too heavy.

But I will say the DMax compared to the Cummins and Aisin doesn’t have anywhere near the engine braking or exhaust braking. That was probably the biggest bummer I noticed. The Cummins will force you into the seatbelt when the exhaust brake and trans downshifts. The Chevy screamed while going down grades, it would hold at 3,800rpm which didn’t always sound that great 🤔

No feedback lol!

I’m pricing out some AT4X’s. Looks like there are some deals to be had out there. My buddy just had to tow his Megacab. Frozen waste gate actuator. We’re looking to order matching ZR2’s.

IMG_7034.jpeg

Then parked next to this beauty.
IMG_5133.jpeg

Personal preference really. Like you said, in this forum most are probably going to tell you the extra options are worth the price difference, lol. But mostly it depends on if you care about the better suspension and rear locker. Of course the interior is also different. Most everything else comes in other trims. LT vs ZR2 is apples and oranges really. ZR2 is basically an offroad Highcountry. While a LT is one step above a work truck. Chevy is coming out with a Trailboss HD. Sounds like that might be a good option for you since you said you liked the LT. But you often tow off-road.

LT vs Trailboss would be a much better cross shop.

No feedback lol!

I’m pricing out some AT4X’s. Looks like there are some deals to be had out there. My buddy just had to tow his Megacab. Frozen waste gate actuator. We’re looking to order matching ZR2’s.

View attachment 12388

Then parked next to this beauty.
View attachment 12390
I really like my zr2 HD. The few complaints I have would be the Bose speakers, lack of front sensors and the pedals not being adjustable. Otherwise I think this is the best bang for your buck in the HD world right now. I was last in an '18 Power wagon which was great to me, but I actually like the zr2 better. I loved the rams for the last dozen or so years, But they are a mess right now.

I really like my zr2 HD. The few complaints I have would be the Bose speakers, lack of front sensors and the pedals not being adjustable. Otherwise I think this is the best bang for your buck in the HD world right now. I was last in an '18 Power wagon which was great to me, but I actually like the zr2 better. I loved the rams for the last dozen or so years, But they are a mess right now.
Why can't they put in a sound system for the money spent?
I like how they say "equalizer' in the adjustments and there isn't any lol
I put in a better sound system in my car 40 years ago from Sears

The Bose system is lack luster. I've had 2 ZR2s and I changed everything, but the head unit in both of them. But I think most are ok with it after just adding a Sub. No way around though, it is a let down for a top trim compared to the other brands. The new Dodge has a full Klipsch system. Klipsch is what I have in my living room 😍

The Bose system is lack luster. I've had 2 ZR2s and I changed everything, but the head unit in both of them. But I think most are ok with it after just adding a Sub. No way around though, it is a let down for a top trim compared to the other brands. The new Dodge has a full Klipsch system. Klipsch is what I have in my living room 😍
Totally agree. The H&K system in my last Ram (limited) was very good for a stock system. The Bose on the ZR2 is pretty weak.

All things considered, GM clearly cut the corners on the some items that are included in the high country trims in order to do the suspension and tires of the ZR2 that we sought. Still probably cheaper to add good speakers to the ZR2 than put tires and suspension on a high country to get to the same place.

Ive only had my HD ZR2 for a couple weeks so far but I love the truck. I think its the nicest looking hd truck out there and prefer its looks to the GM. I worry about the longevity of dssv shocks especially in my cold winters, but i have confidence in the rest of the truck. Kids love the heated seats in the back. I live somewhere with lots of bush roads
and the locker and big tires give me the confidence to push through some deep ruts and mud holes i would otherwise turn back for getting to lakes and camp sites. The bose system has no bass and I hate that I cant dim the infotainment screen independently of the gauges, it‘s always too bright in the dark but chevs have always been like that.
The options I picked were high clearance steps, multi pro tailgate, 5th wheel prep and tech package. I dont tow enough to justify the diesel so I have the gas. I plan to buy a cheap old 5th wheel for bush camping that I dont have to worry about beating up on gravel roads.

Ive only had my HD ZR2 for a couple weeks so far but I love the truck. I think its the nicest looking hd truck out there and prefer its looks to the GM. I worry about the longevity of dssv shocks especially in my cold winters, but i have confidence in the rest of the truck. Kids love the heated seats in the back. I live somewhere with lots of bush roads
and the locker and big tires give me the confidence to push through some deep ruts and mud holes i would otherwise turn back for getting to lakes and camp sites. The bose system has no bass and I hate that I cant dim the infotainment screen independently of the gauges, it‘s always too bright in the dark but chevs have always been like that.
The options I picked were high clearance steps, multi pro tailgate, 5th wheel prep and tech package. I dont tow enough to justify the diesel so I have the gas. I plan to buy a cheap old 5th wheel for bush camping that I dont have to worry about beating up on gravel roads.
Congratulations sounds like you really going to enjoy using your ZR2 hd. 😀. How about couple pics. 😃

Most Member Reactions

Back