Made an Executive Decision.....

securityguy

Reaction score
I have decided that I am no longer going to drive around in L9 and just leave it in DRIVE. I have come to the realization, after reading several posts on this forum and others, that if it's going to happen it's going to happen and that I cannot control it. I only keep my vehicles for a year or two tops anyway and sell with very low miles (<10K) as I work from home. My plan was to see what the 2024 model year brings and get something else or a newer ZR2 as the economy cools down.....but, definitely not electric as they're not ready for prime time IMPO.

Are you referring to forcing DFM off with L9?

Disabling the system I feel doesn’t really effect reliability as much as people would like to believe. The design of the lifter itself is the failure point. Enabled or disabled.

I think the supplier issue in the early run of these DFM motors has blown the commonality of the problem out of proportion. Failures of some kind are expected with any mass production product. Refer to the bathtub failure curve.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Some of the folks that I know in my neighborhood that have the 5.3 liter in an SUV don't even know about the lifter problem! They just drive the vehicle and short trip it a lot. Likely they do long oil service intervals as well. So far now for several years they have had good luck with their Chevy's. I hope we are as lucky. I will still get a Pulsar unit if it becomes available in the next year or so.

Yeah, I feel like most people won't ever have motor or tranny problems. I think there is going to be more issues with regular parts. My last Tahoe was most expensive vehicle to maintain that I've owned. The Shocks were $360 a piece to replace. Lots of other random part failures. I usually don't keep them that long but did so because of vehicle shortage. I never once worried about tranny or motor.

Duramax hasn't cost anything. Had a couple of warranty emission issues due to DEF system......they are built like tanks.

Some of the folks that I know in my neighborhood that have the 5.3 liter in an SUV don't even know about the lifter problem! They just drive the vehicle and short trip it a lot. Likely they do long oil service intervals as well. So far now for several years they have had good luck with their Chevy's. I hope we are as lucky. I will still get a Pulsar unit if it becomes available in the next year or so.
Thats because GM put 90% of the bad lifters in the 6.2L

I did the same in my AT4 before the ZR2 until a really smart mechanical engineer showed/explained to me that the lifters still move whether AFM/DFM is active or not so leaving in L9 doesn't prolong life of them.
When I saw you put smart, and, engineer, in the same sentence there, I actually paused for a second with a grin on my face. God bless you.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back