Motor oils, Extreme 4x4, and Project Farm!

Can't beat Project Farm testing videos. I watch most of them. The hard core oil analysts say that none of these tests matter as it's not how an engine operates, so take it as another data point, not as a final decision tool.

I'll probably stick with Mobil 1 cause my family has been using Mobil oils for 60+ years, but I think most of these oils would be about the same for the average user in modern vehicles. Hell even Blackstone Labs says on their website that conventional oils are as good as synthetic and they don't use synthetics for that reason.

I use Mobil and Rotella diesel oil. Both seem to perform well and are widely used in the trucking and equipment industry. I figure they are running harder than I am and put on millions of miles and thousands of engine hours.

Last edited:
Can't beat Project Farm testing videos. I watch most of them. The hard core oil analysts say that none of these tests matter as it's not how an engine operates, so take it as another data point, not as a final decision tool.

I'll probably stick with Mobil 1 cause my family has been using Mobil oils for 60+ years, but I think most of these oils would be about the same for the average user in modern vehicles. Hell even Blackstone Labs says on their website that conventional oils are as good as synthetic and they don't use synthetics for that reason.

I use Mobil and Rotella diesel oil. Both seem to perform well and are widely used in the trucking and equipment industry. I figure they are running harder than I am and put on millions of miles and thousands of engine hours.
i use rotella in both my sport quads. never any issues and they get ridden!

The "Motor oil geek" , has a good channel on YT. He is the son of veteran NASCAR racer , Lake Speed. Lake junior is his name. They have a lab and Lake has a lot of oil certifications.

I always used Rotella as well in my motorcycles and vehicles that did not require 0W -20 oil. Rotella is a certified JASO, for wet clutch usage.

The "Motor oil geek" , has a good channel on YT. He is the son of veteran NASCAR racer , Lake Speed. Lake junior is his name. They have a lab and Lake has a lot of oil certifications.

I always used Rotella as well in my motorcycles and vehicles that did not require 0W -20 oil. Rotella is a certified JASO, for wet clutch usage.
Yeah. I've seen some.of his videos. That dyno test with different oil volumes was pretty good.

i use rotella in both my sport quads. never any issues and they get ridden!

agreed. rotella is good stuff in the heat or cold.

So what does Lake about oils and the best option for our 1500 trucks?
So far in all the testing I have seen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum comes out the best. I tried it this time. I haven't used Pennzoil since the 1960's when it was paraffin based like Quaker State. The new stuff, somehow derived from natural gas is testing out really well. I've been using Mobil 1 for decades. I change my oil so often that I could probably get away with standard mineral oil. But what the hell! These new DI engines use such thin oil I suppose synthetic is better. I think you are already using this oil, from a previous post I read.

So far in all the testing I have seen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum comes out the best. I tried it this time. I haven't used Pennzoil since the 1960's when it was paraffin based like Quaker State. The new stuff, somehow derived from natural gas is testing out really well. I've been using Mobil 1 for decades. I change my oil so often that I could probably get away with standard mineral oil. But what the hell! These new DI engines use such thin oil I suppose synthetic is better. I think you are already using this oil, from a previous post I read.
Good to know as I have been using PP Platinum for several years...looks like I'll be sticking with it.

So what does Lake say about oils and the best option for our 1500 trucks?
Lake doesn't endorse specific brands or specific formulations, the one thing he does say is "always use oil that meets the specs called out by your engine manufacturer for your model of engine", being that I have had two of the 3 liter diesels (the newest, LZ0, makes OVER 100HP and 165 LBF torque PER liter) I stick with DexosD cert oils, for me that is ACDelco DexosD and Mobil 1 ESP x2 DexosD. I also change at 5K, oil is cheap, engines are expensive. IMHO/YMMV

Have you seen a post on forums “what’s the best oil to use”. It gets pretty amusing and I usually post “you will be more confused than when you started”. The opinions are all over the place. Some guys will even post a picture of popcorn indicating just sitting back and watching. They typically end up being several pages long. As others have stated “use a good quality oil and change often(of course this is also left open to interpretation).

Have you seen a post on forums “what’s the best oil to use”. It gets pretty amusing and I usually post “you will be more confused than when you started”. The opinions are all over the place. Some guys will even post a picture of popcorn indicating just sitting back and watching. They typically end up being several pages long. As others have stated “use a good quality oil and change often(of course this is also left open to interpretation).
Yep! I think people tend to WAY overthink this topic. I don't care if you use Walmart Fully Synthetic Oil or Amsoil. As long as you change it every 5K miles, I'll bet your engine will last the same amount of time.

Yep! I think people tend to WAY overthink this topic. I don't care if you use Walmart Fully Synthetic Oil or Amsoil. As long as you change it every 5K miles, I'll bet your engine will last the same amount of time.
have you guys been inspecting your changed oil filters for metal debris??

have you guys been inspecting your changed oil filters for metal debris??
Yes, I just did ZR2 and Tahoe at 10k. Barely anything to see, just a few of the tiniest flakes. I think most of the flakes and slivers are out by first oil change (1500 miles for me).

These filters drained about a week. Tahoe on the left had 5000 miles, ZR2 on the right had 2500 miles on that oil change. Oil and filter both looked good and I sent a sample off to Blackstone for analysis.

Attachments

• 20240324_141433.jpg
    20240324_141433.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240407_193233.jpg
    20240407_193233.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes, I just did ZR2 and Tahoe at 10k. Barely anything to see, just a few of the tiniest flakes. I think most of the flakes and slivers are out by first oil change (1500 miles for me).

These filters drained about a week. Tahoe on the left had 5000 miles, ZR2 on the right had 2500 miles on that oil change. Oil and filter both looked good and I sent a sample off to Blackstone for analysis.
good info @AXE

Did you get the results back from Blackstone? Curious about what they came up with.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back