Need the help of my friends.....

securityguy

Reaction score
Hey guys! So, I have been doing a ton of thinking around the 2024 ZR2 1500 6.2L. The ZR2 1500 Babymax Diesel. The High Country/ZR2 2500 6.6L Duramax and the High Country/ZR2 Gasser. Do I need a 2500? Absolutely not. I don't haul...I don't tow...it's just a man toy. Do I like the new 2500? A BIG FAT YES! I have never had a diesel truck before and thought I would try one since this will vehicle #48 and I am running out of time :) I like the few extras the 2024 ZR2 1500 will have and the diesel option is less than the 6.2L. I'll miss the exhaust sound, and the acceleration, but the diesel has me intrigued and no lifter issues.

The 2500 Diesel is around $9K more than the gasser. I will NEVER get my money back out of it as much as I would love to try the Duramax. Therefore, if I go 2500, the gasser is my best option and most affordable. If I got a 2500, I like the Midnight Edition High Country, but could be swayed to get the ZR2 even though all I'll ever do is take her on the beaches here in North Florida. I am not concerned about mileage since I do about 6-7K per year, work from home and will, most likely, only keep her a year or two before vehicle #49.

Knowing what I shared above, I welcome thoughts on what you would do and why if you were in my position. to looking for any "smart-ass" comments, even though I'm sure some can't resist;)

Thanks to all, in advance, that share their thoughts and wisdom 🍻

Last edited:
I’ve kicked the idea of getting a 2500 ZR2 also. I too don’t tow or haul, though I have kicked a round the idea of buying a trailer so the wife and I can tour the country since we are both retired. My biggest concern with the 2500 is ride quality. The 1500 ZR2 ride is very smooth and has been very comfortable on long trips. All things considered, I just can’t justify the expense of the 2500. I also like to keep vehicles for 6 to 8 years, so maybe in 2030 I’ll see what’s available 😂

Hey guys! So, I have been doing a ton of thinking around the 2024 ZR2 1500 6.2L. The ZR2 1500 Babymax Diesel. The High Country/ZR2 2500 6.6L Duramax and the High Country/ZR2 Gasser. Do I need a 2500? Absolutely not. I don't haul...I don't tow...it's just a man toy. Do I like the new 2500? A BIG FAT YES! I have never had a diesel truck before and thought I would try one since this will vehicle #48 and I am running out of time :) I like the few extras the 2024 ZR2 1500 will have and the diesel option is less than the 6.2L. I'll miss the exhaust sound, and the acceleration, but the diesel has me intrigued and no lifter issues.

The 2500 Diesel is around $9K more than the gasser. I will NEVER get my money back out of it as much as I would love to try the Duramax. Therefore, if I go 2500, the gasser is my best option and most affordable. If I got a 2500, I like the Midnight Edition High Country, but could be swayed to get the ZR2 even though all I'll ever do is take her on the beaches here in North Florida. I am not concerned about mileage since I do about 6-7K per year, work from home and will, most likely, only keep her a year or two before vehicle #49.

Knowing what I shared above, I welcome thoughts on what you would do and why if you were in my position. to looking for any "smart-ass" comments, even though I'm sure some can't resist;)

Thanks to all, in advance, that share their thoughts and wisdom 🍻
I thought hard about a 2500 HD when I bought the ZR2. The 6.6 liter gas has none of the ( engine), nanny shit! I've owned five diesels in the past. One of them, years ago I just pulled out to put in a built gasser and get out of emissions at the time. There's nothing like those powerful diesel trucks for going over the mountains out here in Colorado. I used to maintain a small fleet of them when I ran heavy equipment years ago.

I would favor the gasser because of the after treatment nightmare down the road. Also where you live and what you intend to do with the truck. The shortbed isn't much bigger, maybe 10" or so. With the same mods that you did to the ZR2, I think the power will be very close. We can't have enough man toys!!

I’ve kicked the idea of getting a 2500 ZR2 also. I too don’t tow or haul, though I have kicked a round the idea of buying a trailer so the wife and I can tour the country since we are both retired. My biggest concern with the 2500 is ride quality. The 1500 ZR2 ride is very smooth and has been very comfortable on long trips. All things considered, I just can’t justify the expense of the 2500. I also like to keep vehicles for 6 to 8 years, so maybe in 2030 I’ll see what’s available 😂
I've had two 3/4 tons, back when I hauled my motorcycles a lot and a tournament ski boat. I really didn't think the 3/4 ton HD, rode all that poorly unloaded. Now the 1 ton definitly rides harsher.

Reactions: AXE
Had a few diesel trucks and my previous was a 2500 duramax. We did camper trips for a few years and needed it to tow. Loved the extra room, but never liked the torsion bar suspension. Imagine you are at a similar stage in your life. If I want something, I’m gettin it. Good luck pal.

I have no experience owning a diesel but I will say this. There was an all Black 2500 HighCountry Midnight Edition Duramax when I picked up my ZR2 and that thing looked mean AF.

I'm not sure what trim I would pick either lol

Reactions: AXE
I currently have a ‘06 2500 with the LLY duramax and a ‘16 3500 (single rear wheel and standard bed) LML duramax, we have a 3500 w/ the L5P on the farm, and I have the ZR2 1500. FWIW…my thoughts

For overall power on tap, the big duramax (especially tuned) is simply hard to compare against, it’s apples to oranges. The 6.2 is strong as you know but it isn’t close to the big duramax, I can say that as I own them. From what I’ve read, the 3.0 LZ0 duramax should be a solid choice and buttery smooth with plenty of torque for all your needs. I’m kind of anxious to see the MPG (I know you don’t care) just to see how it performs in real world driving. You are adding more emissions junk (big or small duramax) which can bring its own problems so lifters? Emissions? That’s a wash to me, warranty covered either way.

My gut tells me the ZR2 2500 will probably ride similar to my ‘16 with the 4” lift and fox shocks which is pretty damn good, comfortable, smooth, and tracks perfect rolling down the highway. The High Country will be stiff riding vs what you are used to, it’s simply facts but test drive one and you’ll feel it for yourself. I recently did and wasn’t impressed, I’m like AXE and immediately priced out a small lift and shocks if I was going down that path.

I believe the 1500’s are refreshing for the 2025 model year, someone can confirm that? I’m going to wait and see what that brings or go with a 2500 as I never like to buy the last model year, just a personal thing resale wise.

All in all, you aren’t planning to keep it that long so it’s not a long term decision, give something a whirl and then you can take what you learned into the next one.

Lots of good comments and input...... all relevant to your decision.

I think you need to get the 2500HD ZR2 and get that under your belt. Here's my rationale 1) it's probably going to be pretty awesome and you won't see many others on the road. 2) when you decide to sell, the Duramax will hardly lose any value. People would beat a path to your door to save $8-10K on a truck with less than 15k miles. It'll only cost you $380-400 month to run with the big dogs.

I don't think the 2500HD ZR2 will ride as good as 1500, it's just too heavy and has much stiffer frame and suspension part. But I think it will ride really well. You'll never be able to maneuver as well as the 1500 in some situations it can be a PIA.

That Midnight Edition is damn sexy and I'm still shopping for one even though I might get the 2500HD ZR2 if it ever gets ordered and built.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230808_230514_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230808_230514_Gallery.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A buddy of mine in ND just bought the 24 gasser and he loves it. He is like you, lucky if he hits the two year mark before trading. He goes between 2500 and 1500. I think he just likes getting the latest trucks when they refresh.

Lots of good comments and input...... all relevant to your decision.

I think you need to get the 2500HD ZR2 and get that under your belt. Here's my rationale 1) it's probably going to be pretty awesome and you won't see many others on the road. 2) when you decide to sell, the Duramax will hardly lose any value. People would beat a path to your door to save $8-10K on a truck with less than 15k miles. It'll only cost you $380-400 month to run with the big dogs.

I don't think the 2500HD ZR2 will ride as good as 1500, it's just too heavy and has much stiffer frame and suspension part. But I think it will ride really well. You'll never be able to maneuver as well as the 1500 in some situations it can be a PIA.

That Midnight Edition is damn sexy and I'm still shopping for one even though I might get the 2500HD ZR2 if it ever gets ordered and built.
Thanks and I agree. That High Country Midnight Edition is just so DAMN SEXY :love:

Thanks and I agree. That High Country Midnight Edition is just so DAMN SEXY :love:
You can see some of the details and ride quality in this video. It is a 3500 so heavier leaf springs and I believe a 8 inch lift (not 6) on those 22 inch rims and that is going to affect ride quality. Probably the same lift packsge I had on my last Duramax, except was classified as 4 to 6 inch and it rode great. Not ZR2 great.

Last edited:
I mean lots of guys do it. But personally if I didn't tow or haul anything and I only drove around 6-7k miles a year. I wouldn't get a 2500. Especially a Duramax. I drove a tuned Duramax for 11 years. They are great for what they are built for, towing and long trips. But for just tooling around town, not so much. I got mine cause I regularly towed over 10kLb. Now everything is typically under 6k, so I stepped down to a 1500. At the end of the day though, just get what you want.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back