New 2024 Chevy 2500HD ZR2 in transit…

RCF71

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New HD ZR2 owner in central TX here.

I just put a deposit on a new 2024 Chevy 2500HD ZR2 with the Duramax (first Duramax). I am currently driving a Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2l. I’m not new to diesels - have previously owned a ‘99 Dodge 2500 5.9l Cummins and a ‘12 F350 6.7l Powerstroke. Suffered thru ownership of the Dodge but honestly loved the Ford. Have also owned a Tundra. I am not diehard anything except anti-Dodge after that experience.

Anyway, I loved these ZR2’s from the first time I saw one (my inner redneck comes out when pickups are the subject!). I wanted the Sterling Gray (similar color to my last 5), was hard to find but finally did. It does not have the sunroof, electric steps, etc., but does have the technology pkg and multipro tailgate - exactly as I was hoping to find! Should be here in a couple of weeks, and I’m already impatient.

Congrats and welcome! I was never a Dodge fan either...but I did love my 2019 and 2021 RAMs ;)
Thanks!

They seem to have come a long way, but all except the motor, body and axles on that 99 was junk… had electrical gremlins and motor would cutout while just driving along, dash cracked into a hundred pieces, steering was very sloppy/poor, brakes were horrible and never knew which way it was gonna pull if you really had to get on ‘em, auto transmission was very weak and needed work often, dealers around me were horrible, …. Haha, sorry, didn’t mean to rant on my second post!

Thanks!

They seem to have come a long way, but all except the motor, body and axles on that 99 was junk… had electrical gremlins and motor would cutout while just driving along, dash cracked into a hundred pieces, steering was very sloppy/poor, brakes were horrible and never knew which way it was gonna pull if you really had to get on ‘em, auto transmission was very weak and needed work often, dealers around me were horrible, …. Haha, sorry, didn’t mean to rant on my second post!
Totally get it. The 5th Gen RAMs are very nice and still have the best interior in the industry.

I've always had Chevy's, hardly had any issues. Motor, transmission, chassis should be solid like the last 20 years.

This current generation 2500 won't likely save you any headaches. Very unreliable electronics, lots of trips to the dealer for me on a 1500 and 2500. Recalls, Customer Satisfaction Programs, poor quality workship and design, etc. Lots of chintzy ass plastic on these rigs nowadays.

My Dad has had lots of Rams he uses for personal and business purposes, with very few issues. I'd say among the most reliable of vehicles. Just had DEF metering sensor go bad on a 2018 that only has $28k miles. Every diesel manufactured has DEF system problems since 2012ish. It's just not reliable technology.

I've always had Chevy's, hardly had any issues. Motor, transmission, chassis should be solid like the last 20 years.

This current generation 2500 won't likely save you any headaches. Very unreliable electronics, lots of trips to the dealer for me on a 1500 and 2500. Recalls, Customer Satisfaction Programs, poor quality workship and design, etc. Lots of chintzy ass plastic on these rigs nowadays.

My Dad has had lots of Rams he uses for personal and business purposes, with very few issues. I'd say among the most reliable of vehicles. Just had DEF metering sensor go bad on a 2018 that only has $28k miles. Every diesel manufactured has DEF system problems since 2012ish. It's just not reliable technology.
Man, you know how to make a guy feel good about his choice… 🤣

I have owned more GM’s than anything - 10. My current (2021 GMC 1500 AT4 6.2) had to have a new battery (as most my GM’s have) early on, and a new cam sensor and ECM at about 25k miles, no other issues since 🤞.

Overall, my Fords, along with Toyotas, have been the most reliable, with Nissan/Infiniti at the bottom (excluding the one Dodge).

Man, you know how to make a guy feel good about his choice… 🤣

I have owned more GM’s than anything - 10. My current (2021 GMC 1500 AT4 6.2) had to have a new battery (as most my GM’s have) early on, and a new cam sensor and ECM at about 25k miles, no other issues since 🤞.

Overall, my Fords, along with Toyotas, have been the most reliable, with Nissan/Infiniti at the bottom (excluding the one Dodge).
I'm sure it'll overall be a good truck. There's just a lot of quirky electronic stuff. I've had two trips to the dealer and four codes in my 2500HD in first 1500 miles. Never found a problem, just said it checked out and cleared the code. They did do a parking brake software update.

I said is it just sketchy software and electronic parts? They shrugged their shoulders and half nodded. I use a good dealer for service, so I think they are somewhat miffed and frustrated like we are.

I'm sure it'll overall be a good truck. There's just a lot of quirky electronic stuff. I've had two trips to the dealer and four codes in my 2500HD in first 1500 miles. Never found a problem, just said it checked out and cleared the code. They did do a parking brake software update.

I said is it just sketchy software and electronic parts? They shrugged their shoulders and half nodded. I use a good dealer for service, so I think they are somewhat miffed and frustrated like we are.
I think I won the lottery. 1200 miles on the Hd now. Zero issues so far. Ill see how it goes. Build was early march. Trailering plug worked with no glitches so far also. I cant stand when electrical stuff goes bad because you just cant put a wrench on it. 😀

I think I won the lottery. 1200 miles on the Hd now. Zero issues so far. Ill see how it goes. Build was early march. Trailering plug worked with no glitches so far also. I cant stand when electrical stuff goes bad because you just cant put a wrench on it. 😀
Mine was built early March as well. Hopefully get the same results. Only have 60 miles on it due to all the work travel I’ve been doing.

I've spent hours the last couple weeks trying to trouble shoot a no spark issue in a Kymco Mongoose 70 youth ATV. I think it's the CDI grounding out when you hit the starter or a bad kill switch. But everthing checks out independently from stator, CDI, key switch, kill switch, rectifier, coil, plug, and connections. Not sure if there's a short in main harness or not.

When I started that little project, it seemed like about a 30 minute project. No idea there were that many wires on such a small little machine. I'm just gonna start replacing parts now, it beat me.

I've spent hours the last couple weeks trying to trouble shoot a no spark issue in a Kymco Mongoose 70 youth ATV. I think it's the CDI grounding out when you hit the starter or a bad kill switch. But everthing checks out independently from stator, CDI, key switch, kill switch, rectifier, coil, plug, and connections. Not sure if there's a short in main harness or not.

When I started that little project, it seemed like about a 30 minute project. No idea there were that many wires on such a small little machine. I'm just gonna start replacing parts now, it beat me.
Had a new 1988 craftsmen mower that got the crank bent when the wife ran over the end of a snowplow in the grass. Got a new crank set the timing and gear marks, everything to TDC. Plus it aligned with factory marks. No matter what it would fire right up but then want to run in reverse ripping the starter cord back into starter coil. After taking back apart several times, double checking everything, even calling service center. Never got it to run right and pushed it out too trash. My honda replacement mower still running 30 years later. Mainly use small tractor, but edges and steep slope by street it still gets used.

chinezeee atvs are electrical nightmares. thats why they are cheap. start at the battery ground and work your way to stator. then check ignition on off for bad connex. there are also multiple inline fuses that blow when the wind changes direction.

chinezeee atvs are electrical nightmares. thats why they are cheap. start at the battery ground and work your way to stator. then check ignition on off for bad connex. there are also multiple inline fuses that blow when the wind changes direction.
KYMCO is Taiwanese and they make pretty nice stuff. They started as the company that made Honda's small bore stuff and scooters. This quad I've had since 2007 and hasn't missed a beat. Ran fine last shut down. This same quad was sold by Kawi and Artic Cat with their colors.

Gonna sell it after my kids and some others had their fun the last 15+ years. I think I can sell it for $1000, only paid $1200, they sell for $3k now.

Here's my boys getting after it when they were about 6 YO. I think my daughter was about 7 here.

Attachments

• IMG_20110424_163352.jpg
    IMG_20110424_163352.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20110424_163438.jpg
    IMG_20110424_163438.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201220_152233.jpg
    20201220_152233.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 9
KYMCO is Taiwanese and they make pretty nice stuff. They started as the company that made Honda's small bore stuff and scooters. This quad I've had since 2007 and hasn't missed a beat. Ran fine last shut down. This same quad was sold by Kawi and Artic Cat with their colors.

Gonna sell it after my kids and some others had their fun the last 15+ years. I think I can sell it for $1000, only paid $1200, they sell for $3k now.

Here's my boys getting after it when they were about 6 YO. I think my daughter was about 7 here.
Such memories. Me and Son riding some bikes 2017 2019.

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4895.jpeg
    IMG_4895.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16
That's awesome! Hitting that table top hard. Looks like a great place to ride. We never had a track near my small hometown. We made one out in the abandoned gravel pit north of town and hit it hard.

I don't know what I would have done with motorcycles, ATCs, ATVs, UTVs, and snowmobiles. I was outside ripping all the time. My boys aren't as hard core as I was, but they ride and offroad.

These KX65s were their first bikes. They were a little tepid on those two strokes when they got up on the pipe.....LOL.

Attachments

• 2012-07-04_11-02-33_103.jpg
    2012-07-04_11-02-33_103.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 7
That's awesome! Hitting that table top hard. Looks like a great place to ride. We never had a track near my small hometown. We made one out in the abandoned gravel pit north of town and hit it hard.

I don't know what I would have done with motorcycles, ATCs, ATVs, UTVs, and snowmobiles. I was outside ripping all the time. My boys aren't as hard core as I was, but they ride and offroad.

These KX65s were their first bikes. They were a little tepid on those two strokes when they got up on the pipe.....LOL
My son never realized how good he was because most my buddies had been top 10 pros. Lol. He would ride with us and be wtf. They would still ride Loretta's vet class and finish top 1 to 5. I miss it but cancer, chemo, blood thinners have zapped my strength since 2020. My boy was stationed in Charleston SC, so we rode SC, Georgia, TN, Alabama. He went on to be stationed in San Diego and he rode the southern cali scene. Pala and all the big boy tracks. He lives North of Seattle now and still rides about 3 times a month. Lots of great riding. There are about 4 great deep sand pro caliber tracks within 80 miles of home Red bud was one of my favorites. I remember when we used to go to sunset ridge and 14 year old Chase Sexton was smoking the A class. 😃. I still keep a trail bike and my
Factory bike incase one day I get off blood thinners. I got to downsize and get rid of 6 other bikes. 😂

Sounds like hes ridden some great tracks and terrain.

Yep, I sold my WR450F and then had a get off on my Ducati Hypermotard about two turns from my driveway and broke my collar bone. Decided maybe it was time. Now I'm thinking about another enduro to ride the mellower terrain. Hard to heal up nowadays.

I hope you return to full health and get some more riding in.

Last edited:
Sounds like hes ridden some great tracks and terrain.

Yep, I sold my WR450F and then had a get off on my Ducati Hypermotard about two turns from my driveway and broke my collar bone. Decided maybe it was time. Now I'm thinking about another enduro to ride the mellower terrain. Hard to heal up nowadays.

I you you return to full health and get se more riding in.
Thats what I thinking too. Nice enduro and adventure out😀. Speaking electrical issues. N avionics on boat glitching out head unit cutting out. Low voltage. 4 hrs pull dash apart and clean
50 plus connectors testing feeds. Bad ground wire was found thank goodness.
Put back together and feel accomplished with my 14 dollar fix. Lot better than some dealer telling me I need a new head unit at 2500$. Electrical issues always seem to be so touchy. My trim gauge only glitch left to
Clean up.

Thats what I thinking too. Nice enduro and adventure out😀. Speaking electrical issues. N avionics on boat glitching out head unit cutting out. Low voltage. 4 hrs pull dash apart and clean
50 plus connectors testing feeds. Bad ground wire was found thank goodness.
Put back together and feel accomplished with my 14 dollar fix. Lot better than some dealer telling me I need a new head unit at 2500$. Electrical issues always seem to be so touchy. My trim gauge only glitch left to
Clean up.
I've had that happen. I pulled my boat dash once to find a loose wire and it looked like the space shuttle back there. I couldn't believe it. Loose wire ended up being on my amp in plain sight. Should have started there......LOL.

Might have a loose wire on my tach right now. Drops to 0, then right back to normal once in a while.

Most Member Reactions

Back