New 3.0 Duramax unavailable for Zr2

MO_ZR2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 - 3.0 Duramax

Excited to see more horsepower and torque but a bit disappointed its left out of the ZR2... especially given the 6.2 motor availability issues. Gotta assume a technical limitation, fitment or weight?
GM has released new details on the 3.0L I6 LZ0 turbodiesel engine, the second iteration of the automaker’s Duramax diesel six-cylinder. The new Duramax diesel engine will be available on select trims of the 2023 Chevy Silverado 1500, as GM Authority exclusively covered previously.

The new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine replaces the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered for the 2022 model year. The new engine is rated at 305 horsepower and 495 pound-feet of torque, a 10-percent increase in power and a 7.6-percent increase in torque compared to the 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque produced by the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered previously.

As for the hard bits, the new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine features upgraded steel pistons and a revised combustion bowl, as well as a retuned turbocharger compressor, new fuel injectors, and improved temperature control as well.

“These improvements to the popular 3.0L Diesel Duramax build on the already advanced design of the first-generation engine,” said GM assistant chief engineer of diesel engines, John Barta. “We often hear customers express their satisfaction with the outstanding fuel economy and smooth quiet power of the current diesel engine, so we can’t wait for them to experience this advanced engine made possible by the continued design evolution and advances in engine technologies.”

The new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine will be available under the hood of select 2023 Chevy Silverado trim levels, including Custom Trail Boss, LT, RST, LT Trail Boss, LTZ, and High Country. The new Duramax diesel engine will mate exclusively to the GM 10-speed automatic transmission for retail customers. Engine assembly will take place at the GM Flint Engine Operations plant in Michigan, with availability expected to open up by the end of the 2022 calendar year.

Last edited:
Packaging. No place for an intercooler with the high approach angle bumpers.

Packaging. No place for an intercooler with the high approach angle bumpers.
I assumed this was most likely the case but not been able to find anything official (although not looked terribly deep either).

It makes sense, just unfortunate as I suspect they would also move for GM given the torque capability combined with off-road driven specs for rock crawling and overlanding communities.

Personally, I can appreciate the 3.0 as a HD duramax guy for a couple of decades. But that 6.2 is awfully appealing given small block v8s are likely to go the way of the dinosaurs before long.

Thanks for the confirmation 👍

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back