New Arizona Member

DJ91

Reaction score
I'm about 2-3 months out form pulling the trigger and getting my ZR2. I'm retired and and have worked my butt off to get to this point. I want to reward myself with a nice capable full size truck. I'm coming from a 2019 Ram Rebel (which I happened to like very much). I was talked out of it by a market that was ridiculously crazy with used full sized truck prices. After 4 years and 33,000 miles I got $5,000 less than what I paid for it. Problem is, being retired I went with a NART (not a real truck) Honda Ridgeline. Boy, did I screw the pooch on this adventure. The NART does fine but being retired I want to spoil myself and drive the ruck I want. Prior to the Rebel I had a Sierra 1500 Denali.

Anyhow, I'm kind of curious with the 3.0. Diesel (have no experience with them) is more expensive here than gas. I did ask the dealer about the premium gas being "recommended" or "required". I was told regular is fine. I was also told to think about using regular in the colder months and supreme in the nice warm temps here in Az. during the summer. My use will be this. I will drive it routinely twice a week (60 miles round trip), about 4-5 times a year (500 mile round trip) and once a year a 10 day trip to the eastern sierras for some tout fishing at the higher elevations and in the back country. Plus little trips here and there every now and then.

My question would be, would the diesel for gas milage be worth it or would I be better sticking with the 6.2.

Thank you,
DJ

You'll get way better mileage with the diesel by about 2X. I've got 10k on mine and average mpg is exactly 12. My wife's 6.2 is closer to 14. That being said, I've gotten 18-20 mpg on a couple 500 mile trips. It'll get over 20 mpg in ideal conditions.

I've ran several tanks of 87 mpg through mine in Arizona and there is no real difference in performance. If anything, maybe a tad lower mpg, but that's hard to say due to environmental factors.

If you plan to keep this a while and want better fuel savings then the diesel is the only answer. If you want to hot rod around and hear that 6.2 rumble and puke out carbon monoxide like Al Gore's jet, then that's the way to do it.

Last edited:
Thank you. I had the 6.2 in my Denali and never had an issue with it. I want to say this will be my forever truck but I tried that it's just not true. With that being the case, it's the 6.2 again and time to hear the rumble. I test drove a Bison the other day. Not sold on the $$ for the upgrades. I do get the family discount through GM so that will hep. I see pricing is starting to come down.

DJ

Bison package has really well made bumpers and skids, they are built very tough. The wheels and other trim dont add much value. The only thing i hate with the Bison package is the added plastic pieces to dress up the bumper and cover fasteners.

What dealer?

I got my best prices from Sands Chevrolet. Midway wasn't too far off. I usually buy from Sands cause they have great service.

I didn't get great deals compared to previous rigs, but decent enough for themarket at the time.

I actually did the test drive at Sands (surprise). They only had the 1 ZR2 and it was the Bison package. Amelia was the sales person who assisted me. I'm only looking for the technology package and the multi flex tailgate as options. Thanks for the recommendation on their service department. I don't mind buying it where I can find the best price but service is where it counts.

I actually did the test drive at Sands (surprise). They only had the 1 ZR2 and it was the Bison package. Amelia was the sales person who assisted me. I'm only looking for the technology package and the multi flex tailgate as options. Thanks for the recommendation on their service department. I don't mind buying it where I can find the best price but service is where it counts.
I bought mine in Surprise. However, I use the Glendale location for service. I've had the same service advisor for 25+ years. His name is Chad and he really works hard for the customer.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back