exiledZR2

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Been lurking on the forums for about a month now as I’ve been looking to do some mods/upgrades on the ZR2 I picked up late last year. Have done some easy mods so far:
  • Reverse LED lights and License Plate LED lights
  • Westin 20-14135 Outlaw Nerf Steps
  • Rydonair 13” Antenna

Have some that I bought but haven’t installed yet but hopefully will be getting them all done next weekend:
  • K&N 71-3110 - 71 Series Blackhawk Air Intake Kit
  • MGP Caliper Covers - Red with Black ZR2 and bolts
  • Kicker Sub (waiting for adjustable level knob to come this week)
  • Kicker 6x9 Fronts, 2 3/4 midrange and 6 1/2 Rears (also bought some Kilmat to install with them)
  • Govee RGBIC interior leds for the footwells and rear seats
  • Boost Auto Wireless charger

With the audio stuff, it’s not something I’ve done before so hoping someone can help with a few questions I have:

1) With upgrading the speakers, I feel like I should be upgrading the amp as well. There is probably a really easy answer for this but is it not possible to simply remove the factory amp and put a replacement in that gives the power needed?

2) I’m assuming #1 is a no as I can’t find anything online anywhere that shows that as an option. What would people recommend for an amp based on having 150 watt RMS fronts, 100 watt RMS rears and 50 watt RMS mid range? I haven’t opened any boxes for the speakers so I could look to return and purchase speakers with same wattages if that makes sense to do. I honestly had picked Kicker as they had yellow accents on their speakers that match the yellow stitching in the ZR2 - though I doubt anyone would notice or care about that.

3) If buying an amp from #2, should I look at one with a DPS as well? Or look at a separate DPS unit?

4) Is there a harness/adapter that allows an aftermarket amp/DPS to still use the factory wires for the speaker?

As you can tell, the audio stuff is a huge leaning curve for me and I just want to make sure I do it right the first time rather than have to re-do things later on. I don’t want to break the bank by any means but also not looking for the cheapest solution

Hey everyone

Been lurking on the forums for about a month now as I’ve been looking to do some mods/upgrades on the ZR2 I picked up late last year. Have done some easy mods so far:
  • Reverse LED lights and License Plate LED lights
  • Westin 20-14135 Outlaw Nerf Steps
  • Rydonair 13” Antenna

Have some that I bought but haven’t installed yet but hopefully will be getting them all done next weekend:
  • K&N 71-3110 - 71 Series Blackhawk Air Intake Kit
  • MGP Caliper Covers - Red with Black ZR2 and bolts
  • Kicker Sub (waiting for adjustable level knob to come this week)
  • Kicker 6x9 Fronts, 2 3/4 midrange and 6 1/2 Rears (also bought some Kilmat to install with them)
  • Govee RGBIC interior leds for the footwells and rear seats
  • Boost Auto Wireless charger

With the audio stuff, it’s not something I’ve done before so hoping someone can help with a few questions I have:

1) With upgrading the speakers, I feel like I should be upgrading the amp as well. There is probably a really easy answer for this but is it not possible to simply remove the factory amp and put a replacement in that gives the power needed?

2) I’m assuming #1 is a no as I can’t find anything online anywhere that shows that as an option. What would people recommend for an amp based on having 150 watt RMS fronts, 100 watt RMS rears and 50 watt RMS mid range? I haven’t opened any boxes for the speakers so I could look to return and purchase speakers with same wattages if that makes sense to do. I honestly had picked Kicker as they had yellow accents on their speakers that match the yellow stitching in the ZR2 - though I doubt anyone would notice or care about that.

3) If buying an amp from #2, should I look at one with a DPS as well? Or look at a separate DPS unit?

4) Is there a harness/adapter that allows an aftermarket amp/DPS to still use the factory wires for the speaker?

As you can tell, the audio stuff is a huge leaning curve for me and I just want to make sure I do it right the first time rather than have to re-do things later on. I don’t want to break the bank by any means but also not looking for the cheapest solution
What year is your truck?

Most Member Reactions

Back