New to the Group

KodiakEd

Reaction score
Sorry for the long intro, but this story had to be told.

Picked up my new (5 miles) black 2023 ZR2 Bison over the weekend. I couldn't find one in black at a local dealership, so I found one on CarGurus out of state. Made the deal with a dealer in NC that was close to my daughter so my wife and I could visit her. Flew down Saturday and went to pick it up. Then it all went to sh*t.

First, the truck was not properly detailed. There were swirls, spots and sticky residue on it. As I looked it over, I found a scratch in the paint on the front fender (about the size of a dime). So, the sales guy and the manager get the detailer to take the truck back to clean it up while we talk about what to do. I would have left it for them to fix before taking delivery, if I was local, but I had already paid for it and I needed to drive 7 hours back home. So, we talk it over and I get them to take some more $$ off the price and I go to finish signing the paperwork.

After wrapping up all of the paperwork with the finance guy, I go back outside to go over the cleaned up truck. As I am walking around it, I find another area of scratched paint above the driver's door (larger/worse than the first area) that was covered up by the smudges (as a result of not being properly detailed). So, I point it out to the sales guy and manager, and again talk about what they are going to do to remedy the situation. I told them I was going to bring it to a body shop near me and I would send them the bill to reimburse me. There was no way I was going to let them try to fix the paint if they couldn't even get the truck properly cleaned prior to picking it up and noticing these things before showing it to me.

Then, we finally get around to the interior. I get in the driver's seat and we pair my phone to the infotainment system. I went to play some music thru Spotify, and low and behold, there is NO SOUND. WTF?!?! We try the regular radio (AM/FM stations), nothing. We try OnStar, nothing. There was no sound coming from the blinkers, nothing from the back up camera when approaching something to alert you. NOTHING!!! So, now they ask me to bring the truck over to the service area. They scan for errors, try to identify the issue, decide to reset the whole system, nothing. They said there were no codes, errors, bulletin, etc. Then, they find a YouTube video that shows the system being restarted in Safe Mode. We try this, nothing.

So, the sales guy asks me what I want to do. Being beyond the boiling point, I told him that I'd like to cry (not really, just trying to lighten the mood for me). Again, since I have already paid for the truck and have to drive many hours to get home, I told him that I had enough, was leaving to go back to my daughter's place, and that I would be in touch with him on Monday.

How could a dealership be so incompetent and inept? How could they have no clue about the scratches on the paint? Did they think I would not notice them? How could they not have known about the sound issue? Did they even do any of the pre-delivery inspections that are required? Did they not check the safety features to make sure they function before handing it over to a customer? This is absolutely the worst delivery experience anyone could have imagined.

I then drive back to my daughter's place to show her and my wife the truck. As soon as my wife gets in the passenger seat, she asks what this scratch is on the dash. I'm like, another scratch? At this point, I just have to laugh, or I really am going to cry.

So, after all of this loveliness, I drive home on Sunday, playing music from my phone, so I have something to listen to. On Monday morning, I call my local dealer to make an appointment to have them look into the sound issue and have the body shop give a quote for the scratches. The sales guy calls me in the afternoon and I let him know the timeline. He told me the GM of the dealership would make it right and I just needed to let them know what the quote for the paint repairs was going to be. I was kind of disappointed the GM didn't even get on the phone to talk with me and apologize for the situation. But, I guess that just about sums up their usefulness.

So, now I wait for Thursday to, hopefully, get some resolution. If not, GM (Chevy) and that dealership will certainly be hearing from my attorney.

Well, glad to be part of the group here and I look forward to reading more about this fantastic vehicle. It's got to get better from here, right? I have a tonneau cover, bed extender and step bars (my wife needs them to get in) coming this week to be installed as soon as I get the truck back.

Picked up my new (5 miles) black 2023 ZR2 Bison over the weekend. I couldn't find one in black at a local dealership, so I found one on CarGurus out of state. Made the deal with a dealer in NC that was close to my daughter so my wife and I could visit her. Flew down Saturday and went to pick it up. Then it all went to sh*t.

First, the truck was not properly detailed. There were swirls, spots and sticky residue on it. As I looked it over, I found a scratch in the paint on the front fender (about the size of a dime). So, the sales guy and the manager get the detailer to take the truck back to clean it up while we talk about what to do. I would have left it for them to fix before taking delivery, if I was local, but I had already paid for it and I needed to drive 7 hours back home. So, we talk it over and I get them to take some more $$ off the price and I go to finish signing the paperwork.

After wrapping up all of the paperwork with the finance guy, I go back outside to go over the cleaned up truck. As I am walking around it, I find another area of scratched paint above the driver's door (larger/worse than the first area) that was covered up by the smudges (as a result of not being properly detailed). So, I point it out to the sales guy and manager, and again talk about what they are going to do to remedy the situation. I told them I was going to bring it to a body shop near me and I would send them the bill to reimburse me. There was no way I was going to let them try to fix the paint if they couldn't even get the truck properly cleaned prior to picking it up and noticing these things before showing it to me.

Then, we finally get around to the interior. I get in the driver's seat and we pair my phone to the infotainment system. I went to play some music thru Spotify, and low and behold, there is NO SOUND. WTF?!?! We try the regular radio (AM/FM stations), nothing. We try OnStar, nothing. There was no sound coming from the blinkers, nothing from the back up camera when approaching something to alert you. NOTHING!!! So, now they ask me to bring the truck over to the service area. They scan for errors, try to identify the issue, decide to reset the whole system, nothing. They said there were no codes, errors, bulletin, etc. Then, they find a YouTube video that shows the system being restarted in Safe Mode. We try this, nothing.

So, the sales guy asks me what I want to do. Being beyond the boiling point, I told him that I'd like to cry (not really, just trying to lighten the mood for me). Again, since I have already paid for the truck and have to drive many hours to get home, I told him that I had enough, was leaving to go back to my daughter's place, and that I would be in touch with him on Monday.

How could a dealership be so incompetent and inept? How could they have no clue about the scratches on the paint? Did they think I would not notice them? How could they not have known about the sound issue? Did they even do any of the pre-delivery inspections that are required? Did they not check the safety features to make sure they function before handing it over to a customer? This is absolutely the worst delivery experience anyone could have imagined.

I then drive back to my daughter's place to show her and my wife the truck. As soon as my wife gets in the passenger seat, she asks what this scratch is on the dash. I'm like, another scratch? At this point, I just have to laugh, or I really am going to cry.

So, after all of this loveliness, I drive home on Sunday, playing music from my phone, so I have something to listen to. On Monday morning, I call my local dealer to make an appointment to have them look into the sound issue and have the body shop give a quote for the scratches. The sales guy calls me in the afternoon and I let him know the timeline. He told me the GM of the dealership would make it right and I just needed to let them know what the quote for the paint repairs was going to be. I was kind of disappointed the GM didn't even get on the phone to talk with me and apologize for the situation. But, I guess that just about sums up their usefulness.

So, now I wait for Thursday to, hopefully, get some resolution. If not, GM (Chevy) and that dealership will certainly be hearing from my attorney.

Well, glad to be part of the group here and I look forward to reading more about this fantastic vehicle. It's got to get better from here, right? I have a tonneau cover, bed extender and step bars (my wife needs them to get in) coming this week to be installed as soon as I get the truck back.
So sorry that you went through this. I, for one, would have just asked for my money back!!! It's not yours until it's tagged and driven off the lot with you as the owner. Easy for me to say, based on your circumstance, but you never should have completed the transaction locally. I would have ate the cost of my trip and found another truck locally unless you were desperate to have this now and circumstances would not accommodate waiting.

Sounds like you got hit with two of the biggest and most common complaints on this truck and others thatbuse the same electronic technology. It can be resolved but seems to take some diligence by the service tech and GM.

As for the paint, I have a black one too and it by far the softest paint I've ever seen. Lots of light surface scratches and chips very easily right down to primer/metal. Paint and clear coat craters when hit. Not just a ding in the clear, a divot.

My truck sat at the dealer in their back lot for about 5 months. Seems like they didn't know it was in their inventory until I asked about it. Which allowed me to negotiate a great price. It had a small smudge on the driver door. I could tell it was just some hard plastic rubbed on it. I think that it was waiting for that fix and that's why it sat.

Truck was plenty dirty/dusty. I wish they hadn't washed it before I bought it. ubthink their wash left some imperfections. I cleaned it carefully by hand after I bought it and it looked decent, but paint was a little dull. I finally decided to polish it with McGuire finishing polish on a cordless DeWalt dual action buffer. Took several hours with me and boys working on it. There was clearly some type of reside on the paint. I could see it lifting off with the polish. Not sure whatnit was, but may have been from that white protective film they use during shipping or something from sitting around so long.

Anyway, it polished up an looked really good, so I applied my own ceramic coat. It has really held up well through a very hot, dusty and occasionally rainy summer.

Nothing will stop the crap paint from chipping/cratering, so I'm just running it and plan to Line-x the lower rockers and already did some of the front.

My truck had XM radio cutting out at start up, but that magically stopped. Only issues I have now is that my streaming music fades in and out and my homelike doesn't work.

Overall a nice truck that is fun to drive.

If it makes you feel better, guys are spending $100k on the HDs and have the same junk electronics......LOL......probably getting one soon...... I'm a slow learner.

So sorry that you went through this. I, for one, would have just asked for my money back!!! It's not yours until it's tagged and driven off the lot with you as the owner. Easy for me to say, based on your circumstance, but you never should have completed the transaction locally. I would have ate the cost of my trip and found another truck locally unless you were desperate to have this now and circumstances would not accommodate waiting.
Yeah, thinking about it now, I probably should have just walked way from it. But, I was so eager to have it, probably too much so. My local dealership had blue and red, but I wanted black. I found 3 with the exact options I wanted, 1 in OH, 1 in MD and 1 in NC. I choose the NC since it was about an hour from my daughter. I probably should have just paid a little more for the one in OH and made the drive to get it there.

I'm hoping that my local dealer will be able to address the sound issue and they can provide a quote for the paint (which I will be sending to the NC dealer for reimbursement).

i would want the dealer to ask the employee who signed the PDI for answers. i also think the problem is hit or miss with dealers. sorry you had to go thru that. i would press GM corporate for additional bonus points. maybe some accossories can make the situation better. ypu got a great truck. good luck with local dealer.

Dealer took the truck in on Thursday morning and get back to me at the end of the day that they think it is a bad amplifier. So they overnight it to be delivered on Friday. I get a call towards the end of the day that it has not arrived so they want to keep the truck over the long Labor Day weekend. Bummer.

Then, the body shop calls with the paint estimate. Well, its $2250!!! They have to remove the front bumper and headlight to get the fender off to fix that scratch. Then, they need to remove the driver's door and some other stuff to get at the other scratch above the door. So, I send the quote to the dealer where I purchased and am waiting to hear back from them on their position. We'll see.

Oh, and my tonneau cover, bed extender and step bars arrived at my house on Friday too. Guess they will have to wait at least another week to be installed, provided the paint is done by then too.

The drama continues...

Dealer took the truck in on Thursday morning and get back to me at the end of the day that they think it is a bad amplifier. So they overnight it to be delivered on Friday. I get a call towards the end of the day that it has not arrived so they want to keep the truck over the long Labor Day weekend. Bummer.

Then, the body shop calls with the paint estimate. Well, its $2250!!! They have to remove the front bumper and headlight to get the fender off to fix that scratch. Then, they need to remove the driver's door and some other stuff to get at the other scratch above the door. So, I send the quote to the dealer where I purchased and am waiting to hear back from them on their position. We'll see.

Oh, and my tonneau cover, bed extender and step bars arrived at my house on Friday too. Guess they will have to wait at least another week to be installed, provided the paint is done by then too.

The drama continues...
hang in there.

Sucks to hear all the problems you're having bro.

My audio did the same thing yours did. The truck sat over night and it started working again.

I had the passenger front turn signal randomly stop working then work again after the truck sat for 15+ minutes took it and and the dealer said it was a bad light connector.

I love the truck and don't really mind the challenges I've had plus I've met some really cool dudes on here that always lend a helping hand.

Welcome my friend.

That sucks, Dealers make a huge difference. Some are good, some not so much. My ZR2 is a 22 and the only issue I really had was the trailer brake controller deal. It was actually kind of funny. I waited a couple weeks before I pulled a trailer. Soon as I did I found the problem. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in the next day. Took it to the dealer I purchased from a little over an hour away. They fixed the problem with in a couple hours. But on here and on the facebook groups, Lots were having the problem and being told. GM knows of the problem but there was no fix available yet. My dealer just took my truck in, trouble shooted the problem and fixed it. Sure enough a few months later. The Fix was replacing the same part my dealer had done several months back the day after I noticed the problem.

The only other thing I had was the wireless charger constantly stopping and starting charge. The dealer couldn't figure that out. But I ended up figuring out that solution in a day or two and forwarded the fix to my salesman. Several employees at the dealership were having the same problem with their own trucks because we were all talking about it while my truck was back in service.

Personally I probably would have walked away from the deal with the scratches And the no radio. But it's not like those problems can't be fixed by a competent dealer. As long as you got the scratches Noted on your paperwork, and that they were to be fixed at a later date. You shouldn't have to much trouble getting it covered.

New amplifier arrived today and was installed. I now have sound!!!

I now have to wait until the end of the month to get the paint repairs completed. Still working with the dealership to cover the cost of the work. They are balking at the cost of the repairs, so I told them to call the body shop to explain the reasons for the cost. I really just want this to all be resolved. 😵‍💫😵🤢

Does anyone know if the rock sliders on the bison are installed at the factory or at the dealership? I found another paint issue behind the sliders that I did not notice previously. Lovely. 🤬

Does anyone know if the rock sliders on the bison are installed at the factory or at the dealership? I found another paint issue behind the sliders that I did not notice previously. Lovely. 🤬
My guess, since it's a BISON, is that it's installed at AEV's facility.

At the dealer.
Here was mine getting ready for delivery
Screenshot_20230909_165622_Messages.jpg

Well, I put on the tonneau cover, bed extender and new step bars today. Glad I was able to get it all completed in one afternoon. I still need to tint the front windows, the rear tail lights and black out / remove some of the chrome emblems.

Here are some pics with the cover and step bar and on sitting next to my other ride (its crazy fast for a stock vehicle).

Attachments

• 20230909_180543.jpg
    20230909_180543.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230909_180618.jpg
    20230909_180618.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230909_180650.jpg
    20230909_180650.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 36
At the dealer.
Here was mine getting ready for deliveryView attachment 6968
Thanks. This confirms that they are installed at the dealership as they are NOT on in your picture.

Here is a pic from under the driver's door after removing the rock slider to install the new step bar. I guess I will be talking to the dealer again, not that I am going to get them to pay for this since I can't prove it was there when I picked it up. All I did was drive it home on the highway, so there is no way that happened after driving off the lot. Even more of a reason that I should have just walked away from the deal. 🤬🤬🤬

IF they even looked at the truck before handing it over to me, how could they have missed all these scratches and the audio issue (they did drive the truck to fill the gas tank prior to me arriving to pick it up).
20230909_163326.jpg

Reactions: AXE
Well, I put on the tonneau cover, bed extender and new step bars today. Glad I was able to get it all completed in one afternoon. I still need to tint the front windows, the rear tail lights and black out / remove some of the chrome emblems.

Here are some pics with the cover and step bar and on sitting next to my other ride (its crazy fast for a stock vehicle).

Looks beefy in black 💪

Thanks. This confirms that they are installed at the dealership as they are NOT on in your picture.

Here is a pic from under the driver's door after removing the rock slider to install the new step bar. I guess I will be talking to the dealer again, not that I am going to get them to pay for this since I can't prove it was there when I picked it up. All I did was drive it home on the highway, so there is no way that happened after driving off the lot. Even more of a reason that I should have just walked away from the deal. 🤬🤬🤬

IF they even looked at the truck before handing it over to me, how could they have missed all these scratches and the audio issue (they did drive the truck to fill the gas tank prior to me arriving to pick it up).
View attachment 6973
Dang that sucks bro

This paint will chip like that if you barely hit it. I don't even blame the dealer cause you barely hit it and you got what you see. The paint just sucks. I have fixed many divots. I quit now, just gonna Line X the rockers.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back